The Student Room Group

Is BTEC Level3 Forensic/Applied Science good?

(NOT BTEC Medical Science just Applied and Forensic Science)

I am looking at Backup options if I get C's ( or below ) in my (I)GCSE's...

I want to do A-Levels ( mainly sciences), but if I get all C's however I need to do a BTEC.

My Backup options are BTEC Sport Science/Sport Performance and Excellence (i'm into Sport) OR BTEC Applied (or) Forensic Science ( I was also looking for the Applied Biology Level3 but no colleges/sixth-forms around me offer this course)

The only thing putting me off BTEC Science is that I will have to study Physics. I HATE Physics , I love Biology and Chemistry but Physics? ergh

I'm asking anyone who is currently studying/has studied the BTEC Applied or Forensic Science two Questions:

1: How much Physics do you have to study? Because if the course is more Biology and Chemistry and just a little bit of Physics then I think i'll be okay with that
2: Is it good!? lmao :biggrin:

(Again I repeat, NOT BTEC Medical Science just Applied/Forensic Science)
Reply 1
Bump? Hello?
Reply 2
Original post by elmosandy
(NOT BTEC Medical Science just Applied and Forensic Science)

I am looking at Backup options if I get C's ( or below ) in my (I)GCSE's...

I want to do A-Levels ( mainly sciences), but if I get all C's however I need to do a BTEC.

My Backup options are BTEC Sport Science/Sport Performance and Excellence (i'm into Sport) OR BTEC Applied (or) Forensic Science ( I was also looking for the Applied Biology Level3 but no colleges/sixth-forms around me offer this course)

The only thing putting me off BTEC Science is that I will have to study Physics. I HATE Physics , I love Biology and Chemistry but Physics? ergh

I'm asking anyone who is currently studying/has studied the BTEC Applied or Forensic Science two Questions:

1: How much Physics do you have to study? Because if the course is more Biology and Chemistry and just a little bit of Physics then I think i'll be okay with that
2: Is it good!? lmao :biggrin:

(Again I repeat, NOT BTEC Medical Science just Applied/Forensic Science)

(In response to 'Just Applied Science')
1) Didn't you already ask this? Fairly little as compared to Biology, Chemistry and mathematics components.
2) Good in what way? It's an applied course, so focuses on applied investigations, so you can expect to do many experiments, if that's something you could enjoy. You should also expect to write many reports of what you did; something that may become slightly repetitive after a while. It's also a nice course to go alongside other science subjects as you would be able to be accustomed to the equipment, while the things you learn from the Applied Science are transferable to the other science subjects at A Level, e.g. you'd probably learn about prokaryotic cells in both Biology and Applied Science, for example.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Davalla
(In response to 'Just Applied Science')
1) Didn't you already ask this? Fairly little as compared to Biology, Chemistry and mathematics components.
2) Good in what way? It's an applied course, so focuses on applied investigations, so you can expect to do many experiments, if that's something you could enjoy. You should also expect to write many reports of what you did; something that may become slightly repetitive after a while. It's also a nice course to go alongside other science subjects as you would be able to be accustomed to the equipment, while the things you learn from the Applied Science are transferable to the other science subjects at A Level, e.g. you'd probably learn about prokaryotic cells in both Biology and Applied Science, for example.

I'd be willing to answer any specific questions that you may have. :wink:

1: What do you mean didn't I just already ask this?
2: Okay
Reply 4
1: What do you mean didn't I just already ask this?

I remember answering a question similar to this not long ago, this is what I meant.
Reply 5
Original post by Davalla
I remember answering a question similar to this not long ago, this is what I meant.

O

h don't think it was me but okay
Hellooo :biggrin:

I'm on my first year in the Extended Diploma in Applied Science and I highly recommend it! However, if you study it, I suggest that you study an A Level alongside it in the subject you'd like to do at university (even if you don't know your higher education plans just yet, I'd still suggest doing it). In September I'll hopefully be taking up AS Biology if it works with the timetable.

I was in the same boat as you, I love chemistry and biology but not so keen on physics. Fortunately, my course so far is heavy in chemistry and biology and not so much physics. Unit 3 is about physics however you'd certainly be able to manage it as it's not at all difficult.

The biology and chemistry is pretty much the same as it is in the A Level (our teacher even uses the same powerpoints and members of my class have been able to have discussions about biology and chemistry with the A Level students). I've found the biology and chemistry units doable (at GCSE I had an A* in chemistry and a B in biology).
There is also a maths unit (Unit 6: Mathematical Tools in Science) but nothing in that unit is harder than anything you would have covered at GCSE

Regarding the reputation of the BTEC, it seems that only people on TSR have a problem with it and think that a degree isn't worthy if it's not from Oxbridge. A lot of students at my college respect the BTEC students and understand that we're also students trying to get through our education (in my opinion, a hierarchy of qualifications is just ridiculous) You can get into many excellent universities with the BTEC such as Bath and Lancaster.

Back to what I said before about doing an A Level alongside your BTEC. Doing this allows you to apply for more universities. Furthermore, going two years without doing exams and then doing them again at university could come as a bit of a shock. By doing the A Level, it keeps in the swing of things. It gives you extra UCAS points too which you can use when applying to university.

I can't comment on the forensic science BTEC but of course if a career in forensics is what you're looking for, the course will obviously be tailored towards that. If a general career in science is what you're after, then the applied science BTEC is for you.
Reply 7
Original post by urbanforestry

I'm on my first year in the Extended Diploma in Applied Science and I highly recommend it! However, if you study it, I suggest that you study an A Level alongside it in the subject you'd like to do at university (even if you don't know your higher education plans just yet, I'd still suggest doing it). In September I'll hopefully be taking up AS Biology if it works with the timetable.

I was in the same boat as you, I love chemistry and biology but not so keen on physics. Fortunately, my course so far is heavy in chemistry and biology and not so much physics. Unit 3 is about physics however you'd certainly be able to manage it as it's not at all difficult.

The biology and chemistry is pretty much the same as it is in the A Level (our teacher even uses the same powerpoints and members of my class have been able to have discussions about biology and chemistry with the A Level students). I've found the biology and chemistry units doable (at GCSE I had an A* in chemistry and a B in biology).
There is also a maths unit (Unit 6: Mathematical Tools in Science) but nothing in that unit is harder than anything you would have covered at GCSE

Regarding the reputation of the BTEC, it seems that only people on TSR have a problem with it and think that a degree isn't worthy if it's not from Oxbridge. A lot of students at my college respect the BTEC students and understand that we're also students trying to get through our education (in my opinion, a hierarchy of qualifications is just ridiculous) You can get into many excellent universities with the BTEC such as Bath and Lancaster.

Back to what I said before about doing an A Level alongside your BTEC. Doing this allows you to apply for more universities. Furthermore, going two years without doing exams and then doing them again at university could come as a bit of a shock. By doing the A Level, it keeps in the swing of things. It gives you extra UCAS points too which you can use when applying to university.

I can't comment on the forensic science BTEC but of course if a career in forensics is what you're looking for, the course will obviously be tailored towards that. If a general career in science is what you're after, then the applied science BTEC is for you.

Good post :smile:
Reply 8

Yeah flip them, they would lose a lung for Oxbridge ahaha..

Ah man thanks for this, applied for alot of Sixth-Forms to do A-Levels Biology,Chemistry,Psychology & PE/A Fourth AS/Or a BTEC Sub Dip I don't really want to do and only one place so far to do the BTEC Applied Science. This changes my mind abit. Yeah I always never considered it because 'it says science, we must be doing physics aswell, blugh nope! screw BTEC Science then' Now I can see I was wrong ( shame I didn't realise before! -_-) ah I'm glad i'm informed now :biggrin:

Thanks once again :biggrin: If I don't get the B grades for the Sixth-Forms then I will be forced to do the Applied Science anyway :biggrin:
Yeah flip them, they would lose a lung for Oxbridge ahaha..

Ah man thanks for this, applied for alot of Sixth-Forms to do A-Levels Biology,Chemistry,Psychology & PE/A Fourth AS/Or a BTEC Sub Dip I don't really want to do and only one place so far to do the BTEC Applied Science. This changes my mind abit. Yeah I always never considered it because 'it says science, we must be doing physics aswell, blugh nope! screw BTEC Science then' Now I can see I was wrong ( shame I didn't realise before! -_-) ah I'm glad i'm informed now :biggrin:

Thanks once again :biggrin: If I don't get the B grades for the Sixth-Forms then I will be forced to do the Applied Science anyway :biggrin:

should probably add that unit 1 contains physics too, as well as chemistry and biology. I'm pretty sure that if you get a distinction in the biology and chemistry assignments and a merit in the physics assignment you'll still come out with a distinction...someone correct me if im wrong!
Reply 10
should probably add that unit 1 contains physics too, as well as chemistry and biology. I'm pretty sure that if you get a distinction in the biology and chemistry assignments and a merit in the physics assignment you'll still come out with a distinction...someone correct me if im wrong!

Yes probs :smile:

Tbh if it only has like one or a few units of Physics then I wouldn't mind tbh :smile:
Reply 11
Last year I was I a similar position wanting to study A-LEVEL Biology and Chemistry and I wasn't to keen on studying Physics but unlike you I didn't have a back up and I had no idea that BTEC Applied Science existed but unfortunately when I got my results back I only got C's in science which was extremely disappointing, but when I was told about this course I was so happy as it meant I got to study Biology Chemistry and Psychology which all needed B's for A-levels in the school I wanted to go to.

Forensic Applied Science has been amazing so far because you are in classes with people that want to learn the same things, they have an interest in the same topics and you get to know everyone quicker. So far 6 months into the course we have done no physics but there will be physics and as the course is all based around course work you do not need to revise and you do have your notes and teachers around when doing course work so you can ask for help unlike in exams. As well choosing what you want to aim whether in physics you only wan to aim for just passes or distinctions that bit is up to you.

I love the course and I highly recommend the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending