The Student Room Group

Dutch student - financial options?

Hello,

I am from the Netherlands and have applied for Undergraduate courses through UCAS and currently it's looking like I will be starting Creative Digital Media at the University of Greenwich in September 2015.

So I am trying to find information about possible financial support that I can receive. There is a LOT of information about this subject on a lot of websites and I feel like it's actually too much information on too many websites since I cant get a good overview of my options. Some websites say UK residents and EU students are treated the same way when it comes to student finance, but then I run into things like "EU students are not eligible for this" etc etc.

I'm going to apply to student finance on gov.uk later this afternoon, and if I'm not mistaken they:

Will loan me my tuition fee?
Wont give me any kind of grant since im not from the UK?
Will/wont loan or grant me any maintenance loans or grants?

It doesn't look like the Erasmus programme is an option either because that requires me to be studying in the Netherlands and is only intended for exchange students?

I'm starting to get worried that I will not be able to study in the UK simply because I wont be able to pay for my rent+food. Of course I plan on trying to find a job in the UK but there is only so much I can do as a full-time student. So can anybody help me with this? I feel like I'm not finding all the correct information that applies to me.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Hi there.

All information on eligibility for EU students can be found here: http://bit.ly/1usA5ng

EU students can apply to us in a number of ways:

EU students can apply for the same level of funding as UK students if they have been living in the UK for the 3 years prior to the start of their course.

If they do not meet this 3 year residency they can apply to us for tuition fees only.

For EU students who do not meet the 3 year residency but are, or are related to someone from the EU who is a migrant worker they may still be eligible for funding as a UK student.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

All information on eligibility for EU students can be found here: http://bit.ly/1usA5ng

EU students can apply to us in a number of ways:

EU students can apply for the same level of funding as UK students if they have been living in the UK for the 3 years prior to the start of their course.

If they do not meet this 3 year residency they can apply to us for tuition fees only.

For EU students who do not meet the 3 year residency but are, or are related to someone from the EU who is a migrant worker they may still be eligible for funding as a UK student.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Can you elaborate on the migrant worker part?
Will it make any difference if I am a migrant worker myself?
Will I be considered a migrant worker once I get a part time job next to my studies, and will this have any effect on possible funding?

I have also ran into some other questions while applying for student finance:
Will I need to get a National Insurance Number to be able to apply for student finance?
And will I need an English bank account as well?

Thanks again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there.

Yes, as stated above, either you or a relative can be a migrant worker. You will be a migrant worker once you begin to work and study at the same time yes.

You would need to get a national insurance number once you come to the UK but this will be arranged by us on your behalf. You will need a UK bank account before we can make any payments to you also.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Okay thank you, I misread your first post. My bad.

So a NiN is not necessary to complete the Student Finance application, but a UK bank account is?
I'm guessing it's not hard to get a UK bank account while still residing in the Netherlands, I will look into it.

Thank you again!
Hi There,

You can complete the application without a national insurance number. You can also complete the application without providing your bank details, as these can be updated at a later date.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending