The Student Room Group

A2 Coursework Plan - Thoughts on Dracula and Frankenstein?

So for my coursework I need to produce an essay in response to the following question.

"Dracula and Frankenstein are ultimately tales of good versus evil"

How far do you agree with the statement.

I was primarily thinking about discussing how the statement is more true for Dracula than Frankenstein, as Victor can be considered more evil than the monster in some readings of the novel. Then I would expand the argument into other themes that the novels share, things like technology, life after death, etc.

I've only read Frankenstein once and I'm currently halfway through Dracula, but I know the stories. I was hoping someone might be able to offer some thoughts that I could include because as of now my plan is pretty sparse.

Any thoughts?
I'm not sure how well you'd be able to links the technology to the question. Personally I would choose books from different genres or periods because not only will this show evidence of wider reading (really the entire point of the CW) but you'll be able to make some more perceptive and interesting links between the texts.
I think the question in itself is too generic. I myself chose a concept then contrasted how the idea was depicted in my two novels; what ways was the idea depicted similarly, and where did the texts differ. It's also always a good idea to get a critical quote to use in your question (a more specific, analytical one than you've used) so you can create more debate and clarity in your introduction.
Other important things to remember:
Keep linking back to the question; every point you make has to be sharply relevant to the debate your question holds (this is an area I think you'd struggle with if you chose that question).
Use your introduction to present where you think the debate is heading, but keep the debate open.
Get constant feedback from your teacher/s because this is so helpful in refining your essay.
Read widely around your novels but choose only relevant and interesting interpretations.

Hopefully that was helpful. You could potentially still keep the two texts, maybe even the question, but I would personally struggle to get high marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending