The Student Room Group

HELP

okay so I've just got my mock results and i got a B in maths, I completely flopped it. I'm lucky to get a B to be honest as on the first paper I got an A then on the second one I had a migraine and got a very low B or probably a C and that was the easy paper. Yes I know what a brilliant excuse, but I genuinely did so I know I can defintely get an A in the real exam but i need an A* to be able to do further maths at A-level. My question is do you think sixth forms will consider me to do further maths if I simply explain the situation. I know with revision I can get an A* and stupidly i didn't revise for my mocks but anyway, and before anyone tells me how awful my result is, trust me I know I have it pinned up on my wall to remind myself everyday
A B in a mock isn't bad, especially if you haven't revised. You still have time left to revise before the real exams, relax a little.
Reply 2
B is actually good in the mocks, coz some people get even lower than that but do good in the real exam! I thought an A grade would be enough to convince that your capable in further maths in sixthform?! Am I wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by L1z
B is actually good in the mocks, coz some people get even lower than that but do good in the real exam! I thought an A grade would be enough to convince that your capable in further maths in sixthform?! Am I wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no the sixth forms I've applied to require an A*, but I was wondering if I can even do further maths anymore, do they decide which options you can do based on your mocks?
Okay firstly that result is not awful, I wish I would have gotten a B in my maths GCSE ahah :smile: In my experience what sixth from/college really look at are your predicted grades and your final grades. Sure mocks are important and when you get 'bad' grades it feels like the end of the world but it's not :smile: I think it completely depends on what sixth form/college you want to go to. Most of them have entry requirements so you would need to check them out to see what grades you would be able to get on the course with, for some courses these are really specific ( e.g languages) but for other subjevcts they are broader ( e.g you only need 5 A*-C grades.) So my advice is to research what entry requirements the sixth form you want to go to has for further maths and then take it from there :biggrin:

Hope this helped
Reply 5
Original post by thewytches
no the sixth forms I've applied to require an A*, but I was wondering if I can even do further maths anymore, do they decide which options you can do based on your mocks?

Oh I see, yh different sixthforms have different requirements...
I don't see why not though coz if you're predicted an A* then I think they will mainly take that into account and the mock result is still just a mock, so I presume you still have the chance of being able to do it. Also your options can be changed last minute depending on your grades at the end. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by L1z
Oh I see, yh different sixthforms have different requirements...
I don't see why not though coz if you're predicted an A* then I think they will mainly take that into account and the mock result is still just a mock, so I presume you still have the chance of being able to do it. Also your options can be changed last minute depending on your grades at the end. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the problem is, due to this my predicted grade has gone from an A to a B+ so...
Reply 7
the problem is, due to this my predicted grade has gone from an A to a B+ so...

Oh really?! That sucks! Are there any more mocks or is this it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by L1z
Oh really?! That sucks! Are there any more mocks or is this it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no that's it those were the official mocks, i'm going to make the point that I can get an A* in each interview I do and hope that the B didn't mess up my life haha
Reply 9
no that's it those were the official mocks, i'm going to make the point that I can get an A* in each interview I do and hope that the B didn't mess up my life haha

No way, don't let the mock grades bother you, show 'em what you can achieve and shove it in their faces :wink: Gd luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest