The Student Room Group

What do you think about cosmetic surgery?

I'm thinking of having a nose job at some point in the near future when I've saved up enough, I feel like I'd be much more attractive with it and it is the only feature that really bothers me every time I look in the mirror.

What would you think and say if you saw your friend/family member who had just come back from a holiday and it was evident they'd had a cosmetic procedure on their face?

Would you view them in a negative light or would it not bother you?

Why are so many people against cosmetic surgery? Why do the media make such a massive deal about it when a celebrity has had work done on their face? Is it not really arguably that different from women putting make-up on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you should ask others about your nose. It is a quite troublesome part of the face that makes a lot of people insecure and unhaply without it actually being ugly.
If it's huge, crooked and people notice it then it's no problem.
Cosmetic surgery is bloody stupid, I mean what gives you the right to modify something so trivial?
A new nose will not give you a promotion, or better grades
I mean I could understand women being insecure and that, but as a young man you need to learn to accept your flaws and realise that society has a much broader evaluation and appreciation of your merits and talents.
Reply 3
If you want to make yourself more attractive then go it for.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Cosmetic surgery is bloody stupid, I mean what gives you the right to modify something so trivial?A new nose will not give you a promotion, or better gradesI mean I could understand women being insecure and that, but as a young man you need to learn to accept your flaws and realise that society has a much broader evaluation and appreciation of your merits and talents.
*ahem* body autonomy gives us that right. At OP if you really want it, then fair enough. I have had plastic surgery (I'm female) and I can't say I've ever made a better decision. All my insecurities about my body melted away all from 2 hours of surgery. Much more cost effective and efficient than therapy to "accept my flaws". If you're planning on doing it abroad, do your research. If you PM me I can recommend some clinics. Doing abroad may seem riskier but it's really not providing you choose carefully and you can end up saving thousands even when travel and accomdation is added. Don't be bothered by people judging your choice. Most of the time they're just jealous they don't have the dollar (or balls) to change their worst feature.
Cosmetic surgery is bloody stupid, I mean what gives you the right to modify something so trivial?
A new nose will not give you a promotion, or better grades
I mean I could understand women being insecure and that, but as a young man you need to learn to accept your flaws and realise that society has a much broader evaluation and appreciation of your merits and talents.

So you're sexist and don't believe people can do what they want to themselves?

:hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
one of my aunts had lots of plastic surgery on her face because she went through a traumatic divorce.

I personally think that if you have a smaller procedure such as chin fillers or botox or liposuction, that's okay if you're really unhappy. However I wouldn't get a boob job or any massive procedures that involves putting large amounts of artificial material in my body.
In Korea they do actually judge you on your looks when you get a job. If you're pretty, you will automatically get more benefits in life.
Original post by SnooFnoo
*ahem* body autonomy gives us that right. At OP if you really want it, then fair enough. I have had plastic surgery (I'm female) and I can't say I've ever made a better decision. All my insecurities about my body melted away all from 2 hours of surgery. Much more cost effective and efficient than therapy to "accept my flaws". If you're planning on doing it abroad, do your research. If you PM me I can recommend some clinics. Doing abroad may seem riskier but it's really not providing you choose carefully and you can end up saving thousands even when travel and accomdation is added. Don't be bothered by people judging your choice. Most of the time they're just jealous they don't have the dollar (or balls) to change their worst feature.

But I do have the mindset to counter and accept my flaws as rarely are people born with beautifully symmetrically perfect features.
If you cannot accept your flaws then there is clearly something wrong with you.
And if your child starts to resemble whatever facial flaw you seem to hate, then what do you do as a parent?

Original post by reallydontknow
So you're sexist and don't believe people can do what they want to themselves?

:hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I am not sexist,as stars so that the majority of clients are women.
And with women never being happy with their looks
Unless youre suffering from some undeveloped, facial deformity, then no
But I do have the mindset to counter and accept my flaws as rarely are people born with beautifully symmetrically perfect features.
If you cannot accept your flaws then there is clearly something wrong with you.
And if your child starts to resemble whatever facial flaw you seem to hate, then what do you do as a parent?

Welldone on being to amazingly accepting of your own flaws *applauds* .......now open your eyes and realise everyone is entitled to do as they wish to THEIR body with out some closed minded individual judging their choice.

If someone wants to change a flaw why shouldn't they? What's the actual reason you shouldn't change yor body?

You probably go to the gym, eat healthily etc etc yes this makes you physically fit but I'm sure that aesthetics are your motivation on some level as woman expect men to be of a certain standard. And thus you must maintain a decent body to find a mate.

And never assume I want children just because I'm a woman.
Whatever floats your boat. There's no difference between that and doing our hair and using our faces as canvases for make up.

Original post by Serpentine111

What would you think and say if you saw your friend/family member who had just come back from a holiday and it was evident they'd had a cosmetic procedure on their face?

"I wonder how much they're earning."

Would you view them in a negative light or would it not bother you?

If my life goes the way I think it's going I'm probably going to end up with a boob job at some point so I'd be hypocrite if I judged them. Well, tbf, I'd still be a hypocrite even if I didn't get a boob job because I do my hair, I love my red lipstick and my stilettos. What difference is there between a semi-permanent change (surgery) and a temporary yet frequent change (make up/heels)?

I think cosmetic surgery is unnecessary for a lot of people (probably including myself too) but sometimes circumstances might require it.

Why are so many people against cosmetic surgery?`

Because they think it makes them seem deep, intelligent, thoughtful, unique, etc., etc. Everyone wants to be a special snowflake and they think slating easy targets will make them seem like one. In reality they just seem like ignorant dicks.

Why do the media make such a massive deal about it when a celebrity has had work done on their face? Is it not really arguably that different from women putting make-up on?

Hmm, maybe I should've read the entire post before I replied. :innocent: Looks like we agree. :biggrin:

They make a big deal because they're bored. They know we're bored with our lives so they encourage us to slate people we have nothing to do with because it makes life a little bit more interesting, it feeds our egos, and it keeps us talking.
Welldone on being to amazingly accepting of your own flaws *applauds* .......now open your eyes and realise everyone is entitled to do as they wish to THEIR body with out some closed minded individual judging their choice.

If someone wants to change a flaw why shouldn't they? What's the actual reason you shouldn't change yor body?

You probably go to the gym, eat healthily etc etc yes this makes you physically fit but I'm sure that aesthetics are your motivation on some level as woman expect men to be of a certain standard. And thus you must maintain a decent body to find a mate.

And never assume I want children just because I'm a woman.

we should learn to admire and accept features that are deemed odd and ordinary.
As I have stated before as it should only be acceptable if you have an underbite or a sloth chin.
Because we already live in s society that praises a false sense of photoshop beauty.
And by going under the knife, you support that vain stupid movement.
I mean I find it laughable that onkh fat women are pushing against
Fixing that nose bump will not change your outlook on life.
,How can a woman expect me to reachh a standard when she herself doubts her own standard?
we should learn to admire and accept features that are deemed odd and ordinary.
As I have stated before as it should only be acceptable if you have an underbite or a sloth chin.
Because we already live in s society that praises a false sense of photoshop beauty.
And by going under the knife, you support that vain stupid movement.
I mean I find it laughable that onkh fat women are pushing against
Fixing that nose bump will not change your outlook on life.
,How can a woman expect me to reachh a standard when she herself doubts her own standard?

Why should we learn to accept our flaws if we have the means to change them?
I had a nose job, seemed a big decision that I was constantly overthinking but once it was over I realised it wasn't a big deal at all. Thousands of people have procedures every year.

Sod anyone who judges you for it though. If it helps your confidence, go for it man.
I had a nose job when I was 17 and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I know it was a bit of an unusual shape before and it really got to me, but since having it done I've felt so much better about myself. No one else has the right to judge you or tell you what to do. If it's something you're sure you want and you have realistic expectations then go for it! However I would be careful having it done aborad and would strongly suggest having it in the UK. The standards and aftercare in other countries generally isn't up to the standard that it is here. Plus you have to remember you will be getting on a plane only about a week later and so many things could go wrong. Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
Why should we learn to accept our flaws if we have the means to change them?

Because it leads to unhealthy ideals of what is deemed to be acceptable.
The question should be, who and what made you actually relise that you have facial flaws?
Its takes quite a strong individual to admit and accept their own flaws and move on.
I mean as a woman it should your duty to protest such ideals of beauty,and set examples
for other women.
Where is the imperfection movement?
Your gender is pressured to put on a mask of makeup and yet you have the nerve to ask such a question?
The question should be, who and what made you actually relise that you have facial flaws?
Its takes quite a strong individual to admit and accept their own flaws and move on.
I mean as a woman it should your duty to protest such ideals of beauty,and set examples
for other women.
Your gender is pressured to put on a mask of makeup and yet you have the nerve to ask such a question?

According to who?

What others think doesn't matter. If we're happy (plastic surgery or not) I couldn't care whether it creates false ideals. My body, my choice.
According to who?

What others think doesn't matter. If we're happy (plastic surgery or not) I couldn't care whether it creates false ideals. My body, my choice.

Of course it matters,as you shouldn't lie to yourself,luv.
You should care as your new face is the product of unnatural ideals.
Youre in fact a flawed person
I find it upsetting how the majority of replies are by female supporter's.
Of course it matters,as you shouldn't lie to yourself,luv.
You should care as your new face is the product of unnatural ideals.
Youre in fact a flawed person
I find it upsetting how the majority of replies are by female supporter's.

Lol you genuinely think I considered other people's perceptions of me when considering surgery?

Ridiculous.
for other women.

I do agree to some extent but if somebody wants to get it then they should be allowed.

That said I would think less of somebody for getting cosmetic surgery unless it was after an accident that destroyed their face for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest