The Student Room Group

Is getting surgery to improve dating life bad?

I have been thinking a lot about my appearance ever since I have started uni. I have tried to change my appearance naturally by going to the gym, skin care etc. I have been quite successful, in everyone else’s perspective. But honestly, I’m still not fully satisfied with the way I look. I worked over summer to save up some money and have decided to get plastic surgery to improve my appearance. I have basically been denied by 4 different plastic surgeons because they thought I was absurd for getting surgery at 21 and they didn’t feel I needed it. Even though I explained to them that I understand the risks and am willing to take them for the sake of my own happiness. I’m just tired of being single for 22 years. Even the surgeons that initially agree, end up ghosting me in the end when they discover I’m at uni. For reference, the surgeries of interest are lower eyelid surgery + rhinoplasty/ nose job. I guess my question is, is it that bad to have surgery to improve your dating life? I feel like if I am ok with taking the risk and am earning money for it by myself.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s bonkers because cosmetic surgery actually makes you look unnatural worse. The only thing I would invest in if you need it is some cosmetic dentistry. Otherwise spend the money on a decent haircut, a gym subscription, a wardrobe of trendy clothes and then work on your repartee
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m just tired of being single for 22 years.

Have you been single for 22 years, in which case you're about 40yo, or are you 22, so given you wouldn't be dating as a child it's more like 4 years?

Points to you having self-esteem issues. Get out there and find some hobbies and activities other than a gym obsession, and work on having an attractive personality; be someone that is caring, honest, trustworthy, a good communicator and conversationalist. There's plenty of time for relationships in future.
Reply 3
Don't get plastic surgery unless its for yourself. If you're only getting it to improve your dating life then don't get it. The right guy will like you for who you are.
I've always wanted to get a nose job but I also fear that I will regret it in the future, but also I've never wanted to get it just so that ill get more guys but only because I want to.
All in all, I think you need to love yourself first before turning to surgery because if you don't love yourself completely then no one will.
I had surgery (it wasn’t cosmetic but it wasn’t completely necessary either) to improve my social prospects and it went wrong and it has made my life intolerable. Something to consider.
Original post by Surnia
Have you been single for 22 years, in which case you're about 40yo, or are you 22, so given you wouldn't be dating as a child it's more like 4 years?

Points to you having self-esteem issues. Get out there and find some hobbies and activities other than a gym obsession, and work on having an attractive personality; be someone that is caring, honest, trustworthy, a good communicator and conversationalist. There's plenty of time for relationships in future.

Ok yea, I’m 22 but still. I have never had trouble making friends or female friends. That’s prob why I’m assuming my personality isn’t the issue
Reply 6
Ok yea, I’m 22 but still. I have never had trouble making friends or female friends. That’s prob why I’m assuming my personality isn’t the issue

Don't assume; a personality that is a good friend and one that is a good partner are very different.
Reply 7
I had a nose job when I was 23 and finally saved some money. My nose didn't look that bad but the doctor never turned me down. I did it for myself because I wasn't happy with my appearance, so this surgery boosted my self-esteem and it's the best thing I've done. I travelled abroad for the surgery because it was more affordable at the Forme clinic than in the UK. But if you really want to have it because it will make you happy, I would go for it. But definitely be careful when looking for a surgeon.
Reply 8
confidence is key
Reply 9
Original post by Maddelis
I had a nose job when I was 23 and finally saved some money. My nose didn't look that bad but the doctor never turned me down. I did it for myself because I wasn't happy with my appearance, so this surgery boosted my self-esteem and it's the best thing I've done. I travelled abroad for the surgery because it was more affordable at the Forme clinic than in the UK. But if you really want to have it because it will make you happy, I would go for it. But definitely be careful when looking for a surgeon.

I’ll start off my saying that I keep things professional and never dive into my personal reasons for why I want to do plastic surgery etc. but it just inevitably comes up as a question from surgeons. I went to Cadogan Clinic in the London. They are supposedly well known but the surgeon just gave me condescending remarks saying that I was mentally ill and there was “nothing wrong with me”. But honestly they’re just a bit old and don’t understand how the dating world is these days- attractiveness is everything. I don’t personally feel like I hate my nose but clearly if I’m not succeeding in dating something is wrong with how I look and honestly I just really want a girlfriend. I have also thought about getting cheek implants (once again very well known surgeon in Harley street) but the surgeon just started going on about his love life and divorce and how “I just need to be rich and powerful to attract women”- which is like so out of order and unnecessary. I told him “yea ok but I kind of just want my surgery” and got the “I need to see a psychiatrist” talk. I’m genuinely so tired of all of this I feel like people are maybe more understanding of women getting plastic surgery as opposed to men or something because I get judged by surgeons all the time. I’m getting eyelid surgery in two months from a really good clinic but even they make remarks like “you’re not that bad looking just go to the gym and learn how to make girls laugh”- like wtf.
I’ll start off my saying that I keep things professional and never dive into my personal reasons for why I want to do plastic surgery etc. but it just inevitably comes up as a question from surgeons. I went to Cadogan Clinic in the London. They are supposedly well known but the surgeon just gave me condescending remarks saying that I was mentally ill and there was “nothing wrong with me”. But honestly they’re just a bit old and don’t understand how the dating world is these days- attractiveness is everything. I don’t personally feel like I hate my nose but clearly if I’m not succeeding in dating something is wrong with how I look and honestly I just really want a girlfriend. I have also thought about getting cheek implants (once again very well known surgeon in Harley street) but the surgeon just started going on about his love life and divorce and how “I just need to be rich and powerful to attract women”- which is like so out of order and unnecessary. I told him “yea ok but I kind of just want my surgery” and got the “I need to see a psychiatrist” talk. I’m genuinely so tired of all of this I feel like people are maybe more understanding of women getting plastic surgery as opposed to men or something because I get judged by surgeons all the time. I’m getting eyelid surgery in two months from a really good clinic but even they make remarks like “you’re not that bad looking just go to the gym and learn how to make girls laugh”- like wtf.

I mean, have you considered that your focus on a drastic solution to this problem may well be indicative of underlying mental health concerns around body dysmorphia and similar, per the medical doctors who have advised you as such?
what the hell is this thread

So what happens when you still cannot get laid after your surgery? I can see why surgeons are turning you down. You need to finish uni and get yourself established as an adult. You still have the whole of the rest of your life ahead of you, yet your priorities are in all the wrong places.
Reply 13
This whole thread is so very sad.

Sounds like you're just looking for a quick fix. You want to change one thing and hope that it will dramatically transform your luck with women... instead of getting to the root cause as to why you're not successful.

Unless there's something about your face you've been really insecure about all your life (e.g. you have a nose Pinocchio would be proud of), you should listen to everyone else (there's a reason surgeons and everyone who's responded is telling you not to do it). Chances are you won't get the results you crave and you could end up making yourself look even worse (I'll refer you to Michael Jackson or Jackie Stallone).

I'll be brutally honest, I don't think you've trained anywhere near enough. The fact that even a surgeon suggested that you hit the gym backs it up. On both men and women, a good gym body is visible through most summer clothing, and I think in this day & age, having a good body accounts for slightly more than having a pretty face*. Also, remember desperation is one of the biggest turn offs. The fact that you're seriously considering plastic surgery purely to improve your chances with women tells us all how desperate you really are.

*EDIT:- I am talking purely from a looks / aesthetic point of view. Of course other personal attributes contribute to attraction and may well trump looks all together

If you want to genuinely improve your dating, then you need to take a good hard look at yourself, what do you have to "offer" women (i.e. why should they choose you and not Joe Blogs), as well as where, when and how you approach women. If you exclusively use dating apps, try approaching people in real life. There are a number of way you can do this that have been documented on this board multiple times (e.g. pub/ club, through hobbies etc.).

If you really want to stick with dating apps, why not pay for a professional photo-shoot and / or someone to Photoshop your pictures? Much cheaper and completely risk free.

Original post by gjd800
This whole thread is so very sad.

Indeed... in every sense of the word
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Sounds like you're just looking for a quick fix. You want to change one thing and hope that it will dramatically transform your luck with women... instead of getting to the root cause as to why you're not successful.

Unless there's something about your face you've been really insecure about all your life (e.g. you have a nose Pinocchio would be proud of), you should listen to everyone else (there's a reason surgeons and everyone who's responded is telling you not to do it). Chances are you won't get the results you crave and you could end up making yourself look even worse (I'll refer you to Michael Jackson or Jackie Stallone).

I'll be brutally honest, I don't think you've trained anywhere near enough. The fact that even a surgeon suggested that you hit the gym backs it up. On both men and women, a good gym body is visible through most summer clothing, and I think in this day & age, having a good body accounts for slightly more than having a pretty face*. Also, remember desperation is one of the biggest turn offs. The fact that you're seriously considering plastic surgery purely to improve your chances with women tells us all how desperate you really are.

*EDIT:- I am talking purely from a looks / aesthetic point of view. Of course other personal attributes contribute to attraction and may well trump looks all together

If you want to genuinely improve your dating, then you need to take a good hard look at yourself, what do you have to "offer" women (i.e. why should they choose you and not Joe Blogs), as well as where, when and how you approach women. If you exclusively use dating apps, try approaching people in real life. There are a number of way you can do this that have been documented on this board multiple times (e.g. pub/ club, through hobbies etc.).

If you really want to stick with dating apps, why not pay for a professional photo-shoot and / or someone to Photoshop your pictures? Much cheaper and completely risk free.

Indeed... in every sense of the word

I think I’m just not a British woman’s type tbh. I can use the same tinder profile in Russia or Poland and get 99+ likes in under a week- a lot of them are really pretty and I would 100% go out with, but ofc they’re too far away to actually meet. I get non existent likes in the UK. So either British girls have really high standards or I’m just not their type because of race or something. Also I don’t publicize wanting a gf so I don’t think it’s my desperation they can smell. With regards to the gym, the surgeons saw me at peak cut (10kgs down from my bulking weight). While I look good without a shirt, I don’t look as good with a shirt- that’s to say that I have a sleeper build. I just feel like surgeons don’t like the idea of operating on someone on the younger side. I know that I don’t have obvious flaws as I never get bullied for my looks. In any case, I have wasted all of my first and second year doing gym 6 days a week, wasted a lot of my second and third year in braces (which made me skip on going out bc my teeth didn’t look nice) and now I’m in my fourth year. I have tried things the hard way and it has amounted to nothing. I think there comes a time where you grow up, accept the truth and just do what needs to be done. In a weird way I think enduring a bit of pain post surgery would be nice- it’s like finally paying of a debt you’ve been paying your whole life and now it’s over and you can get a gf and go out and be happy like everyone else. Granted my youth was taken in not realizing I needed plastic surgery earlier but I still have a few years left before 30 to try and enjoy life.
Bear in mind that your dating pool might also decrease as a result of plastic surgery, especially if it is noticeable. Then you’ll come on TSR again and moan about how you aren’t getting any girls. You think plastic surgery will address all your problems, it won’t. Especially given you are not doing it for yourself, you are doing it for someone else.
(edited 8 months ago)
Ultimately surgery isn't going to make a lick of difference.
But honestly they’re just a bit old and don’t understand how the dating world is these days- attractiveness is everything.

Not being funny, but you've been single your whole life, so what do you really understand about dating? Compared to these older people anyway? :confused:
Reply 19
Original post by 5hyl33n
Bear in mind that your dating pool might also decrease as a result of plastic surgery, especially if it is noticeable. Then you’ll come on TSR again and moan about how you aren’t getting any girls. You think plastic surgery will address all your problems, it won’t. Especially given you are not doing it for yourself, you are doing it for someone else.

the whole “doing it for myself” is so BS. Would women really wear make up if the world consisted solely of women and there was no incentive to be attractive whatsoever? I don’t think so. It’s just a statement people make to feel in control and sleep better at night. Everyone is doing it to ultimately increase their dating success. As for making my dating life worse, as far as I’m concerned going from 0 to 0 isn’t much of a difference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending