The Student Room Group

Suitable A levels for psychology degree..very confused!

Hi, I really want to do a psychology undergraduate course and have been eagerly looking at various courses as well as what other students did to get in. By doing so I was wondering whether it is essential to do any sciences or maths providing you do well in the chosen A levels. Due to my rigid option blocks I took Geography, history, english literature and psychology. I really hope I'd still be able to do a highly regarded psychology course with these subjects. Any advice?

At school you hear SO much about what subjects are compatible to this degree and that degree and it seems as though the subjects you choose are so important because of what they are rather than how well you could do in them. I think a lot of things careers advisors tell you are not necessarily true. They overthink it. In courses like psychology or law or social work or arts, it really really doesn't matter what your subjects are when it comes to filling in your ucas. Fuss over nothing! I know loads of people who chose sciences along with arts ie English lit or history (subjects they were more naturally inclined towards) just because it'd somehow increase their chances of getting offers because it'd make them seem smart. Basically, the golden rule is to choose the subjects you are BEST at. That'll get you into a course! Hey, you could do maths and chemistry because you heard it claimed that'd 'look good' or for whatever reason, and end up with Ds in those. It happens to many people - they choose subjects primarily for their course they want to do and then end up failing or getting lower than the subject they're naturally good at, so they don't get into their course anyway so what's the point? Or they change their mind. Pick the 3/4 subjects you're naturally good at, which will give you As / Bs and that'll get you the place. Also focus on looking at course content and getting work experience so you know psychology is right for you!
Reply 2
Original post by jeanieb67
At school you hear SO much about what subjects are compatible to this degree and that degree and it seems as though the subjects you choose are so important because of what they are rather than how well you could do in them. I think a lot of things careers advisors tell you are not necessarily true. They overthink it. In courses like psychology or law or social work or arts, it really really doesn't matter what your subjects are when it comes to filling in your ucas. Fuss over nothing! I know loads of people who chose sciences along with arts ie English lit or history (subjects they were more naturally inclined towards) just because it'd somehow increase their chances of getting offers because it'd make them seem smart. Basically, the golden rule is to choose the subjects you are BEST at. That'll get you into a course! Hey, you could do maths and chemistry because you heard it claimed that'd 'look good' or for whatever reason, and end up with Ds in those. It happens to many people - they choose subjects primarily for their course they want to do and then end up failing or getting lower than the subject they're naturally good at, so they don't get into their course anyway so what's the point? Or they change their mind. Pick the 3/4 subjects you're naturally good at, which will give you As / Bs and that'll get you the place. Also focus on looking at course content and getting work experience so you know psychology is right for you!

Thankyou for taking the time out to explain that to me! This really helped a lot! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KateClarke
Thankyou for taking the time out to explain that to me! This really helped a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you meet the minimum entry requirements then you should be fine for pretty much every uni with those a levels-- some places say they "prefer" applicants with two science a levels but i wouldn't worry too much about it now (especially if you exceed their minimum grade requirements). Getting good grades is definately more important than a level choice.

Saying that though, teachers are correct that certain a levels can be better for preparing you to study a particular subject, especially when certain subjects require specific a levels. Psychology courses normally only require 1 science a level (including maths and psychology) so your fine there, but doing biology + psychology + statistics a level would make your life much easier for studying psychology [although it isn't necessary to do well].
Thankyou for taking the time out to explain that to me! This really helped a lot! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem!! It's just that no-one explains these things to you! I did similar A levels and I'm doing a lot better in subjects that suited me than some of my friends who did a mix of subjects they were good at and not so good at because they thought it'd boost what a university admissions tutor thought of their application! I was told 'Oh, that's a soft subject' and things like that but what matters are the grades :smile: good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by iammichealjackson
As long as you meet the minimum entry requirements then you should be fine for pretty much every uni with those a levels-- some places say they "prefer" applicants with two science a levels but i wouldn't worry too much about it now (especially if you exceed their minimum grade requirements). Getting good grades is definately more important than a level choice.

Saying that though, teachers are correct that certain a levels can be better for preparing you to study a particular subject, especially when certain subjects require specific a levels. Psychology courses normally only require 1 science a level (including maths and psychology) so your fine there, but doing biology + psychology + statistics a level would make your life much easier for studying psychology [although it isn't necessary to do well].

Thankyou for that! It's really helped! Just have to focus on the grades now! Thanks! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No problem!! It's just that no-one explains these things to you! I did similar A levels and I'm doing a lot better in subjects that suited me than some of my friends who did a mix of subjects they were good at and not so good at because they thought it'd boost what a university admissions tutor thought of their application! I was told 'Oh, that's a soft subject' and things like that but what matters are the grades :smile: good luck!

Thankyou! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey! I also want to do a psychology degree at unin, anf for my A-Level options I've chosen Biology, Psychology and Maths. For my fourth option I don't know whether to do Economics or Geography. I want to get into a good uni (Russell Group), can you help me?
Original post by tue
Hey! I also want to do a psychology degree at unin, anf for my A-Level options I've chosen Biology, Psychology and Maths. For my fourth option I don't know whether to do Economics or Geography. I want to get into a good uni (Russell Group), can you help me?

According to this http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf geography is generally seen as a preferable option. I would pick whichever one interests you most though, as you've already got three good choices.
Maths, Biology, Psychology and Sociology.
Reply 10
Hi, I really want to do a psychology undergraduate course and have been eagerly looking at various courses as well as what other students did to get in. By doing so I was wondering whether it is essential to do any sciences or maths providing you do well in the chosen A levels. Due to my rigid option blocks I took Geography, history, english literature and psychology. I really hope I'd still be able to do a highly regarded psychology course with these subjects. Any advice?

Yeah those are good subjects. Personally I would do biology + maths along with psychology and another humanity, but it's perfectly fine what you are doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by tue

I want to get into the russel group too! And I have chosen geography! I'm doing it at AS at the moment it is really interesting as I didn't do it at gcse it was all new.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by MrJAKEE
Yeah those are good subjects. Personally I would do biology + maths along with psychology and another humanity, but it's perfectly fine what you are doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's good to hear, thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
The only time you need specific a-levels is if you are doing something like medicine or something that you need specific a-levels for.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
The only time you need specific a-levels is if you are doing something like medicine or something that you need specific a-levels for.

It's annoying when you're told otherwise! E.g. when people want to do law, and they're told to do history / English Literature etc as they'd be good to get you in. Yeah, medicine, pharmacy, veterinary and scientific careers but that's it really !
Reply 15
It's annoying when you're told otherwise! E.g. when people want to do law, and they're told to do history / English Literature etc as they'd be good to get you in. Yeah, medicine, pharmacy, veterinary and scientific careers but that's it really !

Laws a weird case though. They claim "they don't require any subjects" but especially at the top unis if you can't formulate a decent argument + essays in some cases you will find it very tough to get in. The reason why people recommend lit/history for law isn't necessarily the content but more the skills obtained (ie analysing facts and interpreting it in varying ways,presenting a decent argument etc) that for instance science subjects won't give you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Laws a weird case though. They claim "they don't require any subjects" but especially at the top unis if you can't formulate a decent argument + essays in some cases you will find it very tough to get in. The reason why people recommend lit/history for law isn't necessarily the content but more the skills obtained (ie analysing facts and interpreting it in varying ways,presenting a decent argument etc) that for instance science subjects won't give you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could say the same about psychology though. you can't get a first/ high 2.i in most psychology degrees if you cant formulate an argument... (although also having the content knowledge from a level biology/psychology/maths would be useful).

I found that if anything, psychology a level actually retards your ability to write a good essay, but is useful for its content...
Reply 17
Original post by iammichealjackson
You could say the same about psychology though. you can't get a first/ high 2.i in most psychology degrees if you cant formulate an argument... (although also having the content knowledge from a level biology/psychology/maths would be useful).

I found that if anything, psychology a level actually retards your ability to write a good essay, but is useful for its content...

Completely, psychology is more of a "science" though and I'd say that science degrees care more about your knowledge before applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although your question seems to have already been answered, I'd just like to reiterate that you should do whichever A Levels interest you most, as that's the way you'll do best (although one science subject, psych included in this, will keep your options open for certain unis). I'm doing Psychology, English Language and Classical Civilisation, and did RS at AS, and I have offers from Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester and Lancaster, proving Russell Group unis aren't prejudiced against certain subjects. All you need to do is prove your interest in the subject in your PS and get good grades in your A Levels and you should be accepted.
In order to do Psychology at Uni, you just need good grades. Most unis don't call for A-level Psychology since they go over the content in the first year regardless. So just pick the subjects you enjoy, you can't go wrong with the basics like English, Science and Maths but they won't be overly concerned as long as you get good grades in them. Although, must warn you, some look down upon Art/Music subjects as well as Critical Thinking and General Studies so don't pick them.

Quick Reply

Latest