The Student Room Group

Masters or BSc in Psychology

I am interested in applying for Educational Psychology. Would a Masters with the OU be preferable to a BSc or are both suitable if BPS accredited?
Reply 1
Original post by Andrea01
I am interested in applying for Educational Psychology. Would a Masters with the OU be preferable to a BSc or are both suitable if BPS accredited?

You will need an accredited BSc to be eligible for graduate basis for chartered membership (GBC) with the BPS. The accredited MSc in Educational Psychology does not replace the BSc, but is an additional requirement (only in Scotland, though, I think - could be wrong). Either way, you will need the accredited BSc or conversion MSc if you wish to practice as a psychologist in future.
Original post by Andrea01

@Andrea01
Do you already have a degree? If so an MSc Psychology (Conversion) at somewhere like the Open University or Arden that was fully accredited with the BPS would be a useful stepping stone. It is true that some people get onto doctorate level study without completing a masters, however the Psychology market is saturated and competition for doctorate level programs is very high. Educational Psychology is also very popular, the Government is planning on investing more money in this area from 2024 onwards

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest