The Student Room Group

Do you get a break in between clashing exams?

I have two am exams on the 17th June, STEP 2 and OCR A2 biology, F215. These total 5 hours. I only had one clash last year and can't really remember, but I think you can pick which exam you do first. Is this true? If so I would take STEP first.

I have heard that if you have clashing exams totalling more than 3 hours, you get a break in between. Is this true? If so, how long would it be? Would I be allowed to read my biology notes and textbook in the break? I ask because I would probably be working on STEP the day before for the reassurance and I have 7 exams that week, so wouldn't get much chance for biology revision otherwise. I believe STEP 2 is more important to me than F215 (in terms of uni offers and personally), but I still don't want to do badly in F215.

If it matters, I'm the only one at the college doing this combination.
I would speak to your exams officer. When I had a clash, I was allowed to take one at 9am, and one at 2pm, and I was allowed to have my revision materials etc in between.
Original post by loperdoper
I would speak to your exams officer. When I had a clash, I was allowed to take one at 9am, and one at 2pm, and I was allowed to have my revision materials etc in between.

Thanks for the reply.
I had three exams one after the other last summer. I was allowed a 10 minute break in between to look at any notes, have some food, go for a walk (whilst being supervised) etc. It's defiantly a good idea to speak to your exams officer though.
Reply 4
Original post by morgan8002
I have two am exams on the 17th June, STEP 2 and OCR A2 biology, F215. These total 5 hours. I only had one clash last year and can't really remember, but I think you can pick which exam you do first. Is this true? If so I would take STEP first.

I have heard that if you have clashing exams totalling more than 3 hours, you get a break in between. Is this true? If so, how long would it be? Would I be allowed to read my biology notes and textbook in the break? I ask because I would probably be working on STEP the day before for the reassurance and I have 7 exams that week, so wouldn't get much chance for biology revision otherwise. I believe STEP 2 is more important to me than F215 (in terms of uni offers and personally), but I still don't want to do badly in F215.

If the you have exams in a session lasting more than 3 hours then you can move one to the other session in the same day. It is up to you to discuss with the exam officer which order you would like to take them in. If you ask in time, most will try and suit you unless there are other factors preventing this.

After you have completed the first exam you will be kept in supervised isolation without your phone but will be free to eat, revise, sleep etc until your second exam which normally starts when your school's next session starts, i.e. 1330hrs or up to half an hour either side.

The rules are here:

If candidates are taking two or more papers timetabled in a session and the total time is more than three hours including extra time and/or supervised rest breaks, you may conduct an examination in a later or earlier session within the same day, without the need to complete any paperwork. Prior permission from an awarding body is not required. However, the security of the examination must still be maintained. You must supervise candidates in line with the requirements in section 2.11.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations/instructions-for-conducting-examinations-2014-2015
Original post by Compost
If the you have exams in a session lasting more than 3 hours then you can move one to the other session in the same day. It is up to you to discuss with the exam officer which order you would like to take them in. If you ask in time, most will try and suit you unless there are other factors preventing this.

After you have completed the first exam you will be kept in supervised isolation without your phone but will be free to eat, revise, sleep etc until your second exam which normally starts when your school's next session starts, i.e. 1330hrs or up to half an hour either side.

The rules are here:

If candidates are taking two or more papers timetabled in a session and the total time is more than three hours including extra time and/or supervised rest breaks, you may conduct an examination in a later or earlier session within the same day, without the need to complete any paperwork. Prior permission from an awarding body is not required. However, the security of the examination must still be maintained. You must supervise candidates in line with the requirements in section 2.11.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations/instructions-for-conducting-examinations-2014-2015

Thank you.
I talked to the exams officer and got STEP II moved to 13:30.

Quick Reply

Latest