The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

How good is Reading's Computer Science course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bathquan
That'd be amazing thanks, that's a huge help! :biggrin:
I haven't had a chance to visit the university at all so I really don't know much about it, what did you think about it?
I'm really not sure about halls, the price for en-suite accommodation kind of shocked me when I looked it up. I really want an en-suite because I need my own private space to put my contact lenses in, do face masks, make-up, all that sort of girly stuff, but I might have to settle for shared accommodation if I decide I really can't afford it. The premium on-suite accommodation in the newest hall looks pretty amazing though!

I was also looking at the newest hall (Bridges) - Yeah, I agree the ensuite accommodation looked really nice but it was very expensive... I found that the shared bathroom option in that hall (It was like 3 bathrooms between 10 people I think?) still looked quite nice but the price was much more reasonable (as in I went from having £-500 at the end of the year to £1000+ at the end of the year on a rough budget I drew out) - the bathroom to people ratio didn't seem too bad, pretty much the same as at home now really.

I guess you also have to consider that you're going to be living with these people for at least a year, so you're probably going to become at least a little comfortable around them, which might help with doing contact lenses, etc?

The campus looked really nice when I was there (which was about a year ago now)... A lot of green spaces, the student union looked pretty reasonable from what I remember, there's a shop and all the essentials too. The accommodation looked nice from the outside (which was all we got to see unfortunately) - I think it was one of the newer buildings, though I'm not sure which one. The lake is quite nice, apparently they do canoeing/kayaking on it too if I remember correctly? I remember there being quite a lot of space to do outdoor sports if you like that kind of thing... I'm trying to remember what the library was like - I think it was quite nice but I'll try and go there while at the applicant day!
(edited 9 years ago)
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by BnMcG
I was also looking at the newest hall (Bridges) - Yeah, I agree the ensuite accommodation looked really nice but it was very expensive... I found that the shared bathroom option in that hall (It was like 3 bathrooms between 10 people I think?) still looked quite nice but the price was much more reasonable (as in I went from having £-500 at the end of the year to £1000+ at the end of the year on a rough budget I drew out) - the bathroom to people ratio didn't seem too bad, pretty much the same as at home now really.

I guess you also have to consider that you're going to be living with these people for at least a year, so you're probably going to become at least a little comfortable around them, which might help with doing contact lenses, etc?

The campus looked really nice when I was there (which was about a year ago now)... A lot of green spaces, the student union looked pretty reasonable from what I remember, there's a shop and all the essentials too. The accommodation looked nice from the outside (which was all we got to see unfortunately) - I think it was one of the newer buildings, though I'm not sure which one. The lake is quite nice, apparently they do canoeing/kayaking on it too if I remember correctly? I remember there being quite a lot of space to do outdoor sports if you like that kind of thing... I'm trying to remember what the library was like - I think it was quite nice but I'll try and go there while at the applicant day!

Yeah that's a good point, I think I'll need to seriously consider how much I'm willing to spend for my own bathroom! It's not the end of the world if I don't but it would be nice if I managed to get it!
Thanks, that sounds pretty good, so far it's sounding like the best of my choices so I'm really seriously considering putting it as my firm choice!
Where do you stand on it at the moment? Is it close to being your firm choice?
Original post by BnMcG
Sorry, I lost track of this thread for a few days!

I'm going to the computer science applicant day on the 21st March to have a look around the computer science facilities (hopefully!) and learn a bit more about the course. I'm also finding it odd that there are so many unconditional offers... Here's hoping the facilities & course live up to expectations! So how many of you guys are thinking of putting Reading as your firm place?

Princepieman, I also do French so I might be able to help you a little with French maybe if you're stressing?

Ninja edit:
Times University Guide says Reading is 41st (up from 39th) last year in the country for computer science, in comparison with Queen Mary (the other university I looked at) which is 35th. Obviously a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but I was fairly impressed with the facilities there, so hopefully Reading will have some decent facilities, too. Some of the numbers seem a little flaky, but even if you look at the top positions (eg: 1-10th), the numbers are fairly varied, too, so I'm not sure how much this means in practice?

Ah, that would amazing! :biggrin: I've just completely forgot how you actually revise for French, what resources do you use? What kind of techniques do you use to learn phrases for essays? I can PM you as well if that's OK.

I'm starting to lean towards Reading as my insurance now; the unconditional is very tempting. I'll reach a final verdict after my applicant day at Lancaster.

Yeah, league tables can be very finicky - sometimes the data they use is completely inaccurate. Take the research numbers those are from 7 years ago!

Also, you are so lucky to have a place on the visit day, they're all fully booked :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Princepieman

Also, you are so lucky to have a place on the visit day, they're all fully booked :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sucks! I'll definitely report back... Though I guess if the applicant day is fully booked that could be a good sign? And I didn't know the research numbers were 7 years old!

Give me a PM about French!
Hey guys,

My questions are:

How maths intensive are the modules available? (I love maths :P)
What is the teaching like, are the lecturers understandable?
How much emphasis is there on theory vs practical? (I prefer more theory)
What kind of employers recruit from the department?
What are the facilities like?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, iv almost finished my first year at Reading doing computer science so hope i can help!

One of the modules i selected was Eng Maths (the higher maths module) as i thought it would help with other modules, but it hasn't really imo. The module is fun as i like maths, however its a slight step up from things learnt in A-Level (and some easier things), for example integration and differentiation are used with physicsy questions which i personally find much difficult!

Most lecturers are understandable, however there are a few which you have to concentrate on slightly to understand.

ummm... For programming there are weekly sessions which you have to complete certain programs which go towards your end year grade which i believe is worth 40% of the marks. The rest is a test which i think you have some multiple choice and a larger written section which you write some code. (im not 100% sure whats on the exam but i think thats it) I hope that slightly answers the question.

Im not sure on this question as i havent done my industrial year yet, however we do get a few companies in that offer summer interns ect. At the career fair i went to, there were companies like Jaguar, Pepsico, Microsoft, Intel and a few others, but im not sure if these were for the year, i kinda just turned up.

I dont have much to compare the facilities too, however i believe they are good. There is many computer rooms around the uni, and one specific one in the Systems Engineering School. The computers here are pretty decent with good specs.

Once again, im not 100% that this is all true, so dont rely on these answers >.< I just hope it helps in some way.

If there are any other questions you have, I can try to answer them:smile:
Original post by TheFuture1
Hey, iv almost finished my first year at Reading doing computer science so hope i can help!

One of the modules i selected was Eng Maths (the higher maths module) as i thought it would help with other modules, but it hasn't really imo. The module is fun as i like maths, however its a slight step up from things learnt in A-Level (and some easier things), for example integration and differentiation are used with physicsy questions which i personally find much difficult!

Most lecturers are understandable, however there are a few which you have to concentrate on slightly to understand.

ummm... For programming there are weekly sessions which you have to complete certain programs which go towards your end year grade which i believe is worth 40% of the marks. The rest is a test which i think you have some multiple choice and a larger written section which you write some code. (im not 100% sure whats on the exam but i think thats it) I hope that slightly answers the question.

Im not sure on this question as i havent done my industrial year yet, however we do get a few companies in that offer summer interns ect. At the career fair i went to, there were companies like Jaguar, Pepsico, Microsoft, Intel and a few others, but im not sure if these were for the year, i kinda just turned up.

I dont have much to compare the facilities too, however i believe they are good. There is many computer rooms around the uni, and one specific one in the Systems Engineering School. The computers here are pretty decent with good specs.

Once again, im not 100% that this is all true, so dont rely on these answers >.< I just hope it helps in some way.

Thanks!! I should be fine with the engineering maths (it looks similar to further maths anyway) so that isn't too much of an issue.

If I were to go to Reading (it's my insurance) I would most likely switch to the Artificial Intelligence course as it seems much more mathematical and intensive.

More questions - I hope you don't mind lol
How are you finding the campus?
What is the town like?
Do people go into London a lot?
How big is the department/are people there welcoming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks!! I should be fine with the engineering maths (it looks similar to further maths anyway) so that isn't too much of an issue.

If I were to go to Reading (it's my insurance) I would most likely switch to the Artificial Intelligence course as it seems much more mathematical and intensive.

More questions - I hope you don't mind lol
How are you finding the campus?
What is the town like?
Do people go into London a lot?
How big is the department/are people there welcoming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah no problem!

Not sure what you want, so sorry if i go on. Also sorry for my English or if things dont make sense.

Yeah campus is pretty good, I like in Mackinder so its about a 10 minute walk to Systems Engineering, where most of practicals and some classes are. However I do have lectures in many other buildings. The lecture rooms are all good sized and comfy, apart from one - lol. Its located in the JJThoms building and it has wooden seats which are not nice (imo), although they are bearable haha. Campus shop has lots of things to buy, but i dont do shopping here as its kinda expensive not overly but still, butttt they do have Monster drinks for a pound a lot of the time which i love as i drink them lots! There is also a Korean shop which i buy food from sometimes as its cheaper and more exciting. There are lots of places to sit and play sports too if you are a sporty person. There are a few shops like Co-op and cost cutter ect which are close to the uni which are better for larger shops, and also a Greggs:P

Town is good, lots of shops and a few clubs. There are quit a few nice places by the river too which is nice on a hot day. From Campus its around a 25 minute walk which is just about doable. When we go out on a night we would most likely walk but if raining get taxi. McDonnalds is open too most of the time when you leave the clubs which is good, not sure if your planning to go out lots but just thought id say:P

None of the people i know have gone into London as there is no real need besides seeing the sights i guess, the train is around 40 mins i think so it would be possible to go there and back in a day.

Like before i dont really have anything to compare it too, so sorry if its a little vague. The department is big enough to have its own building which has quite a few rooms and its own lab. Some of the classes will have over 100 people, but specific modules will have maybe around 30? Most people are welcoming and you will get to know well in freshers and other events. The lecturers are great and very friendly too (some more than others), over the year iv got to know them pretty well and they will always be there to talk too if you ever have an issue.

Hope this helps, anything more just ask again!:smile:
Reading is respected in the field. It would be a good place for you to study Computer Science.
Reply 28
Yo!

I have a quick question or two!

Would you say the course is more maths or practically based? Are there any computer science / systems engineering specific computer rooms which other students can't access when it's busy (eg exam time and the library is full?)

Are you looking forward to the second year? Do people use books or laptops for note taking etc in lectures?

More generally: are guests in halls a common thing / acceptable? How many people (roughly) study computer science in your year?
Original post by BnMcG
Yo!

I have a quick question or two!

Would you say the course is more maths or practically based? Are there any computer science / systems engineering specific computer rooms which other students can't access when it's busy (eg exam time and the library is full?)

Are you looking forward to the second year? Do people use books or laptops for note taking etc in lectures?

More generally: are guests in halls a common thing / acceptable? How many people (roughly) study computer science in your year?

In my opinion there is little maths in the whole course unless you pick the maths modules which are not compulsory. Most of the modules will have 40% coursework/practicals and the rest exams from what i believe.

Yeah i believe the lab in the Systems Engineering room is only available to certain classes. This is also available out of hours with your campus card.

Yeah excited about starting next year and starting the Java module, even more excited to live in a house with my flatmates though!

Personally i use a book, however there are always laptops open in lectures. Some will be taking notes on them, some will be on facebook, and others will have the lecture slides open whilst taking notes on a pad.

Not sure if you mean sleeping over? Friends of mine and other flatmates always come round to work or to predrink with on a night out. Sometimes people stay over but i think for it to be legit you have to ask permission or something.

Not sure how many people study computer science as many modules are shared with other courses like IT, AI and other classes. Like i said before compulsory modules will have maybe 100-150 people in them, where specific modules may only have 30.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 30
In my opinion there is little maths in the whole course unless you pick the maths modules which are not compulsory. Most of the modules will have 40% coursework/practicals and the rest exams from what i believe.

Yeah i believe the lab in the Systems Engineering room is only available to certain classes. This is also available out of hours with your campus card.

Yeah excited about starting next year and starting the Java module, even more excited to live in a house with my flatmates though!

Personally i use a book, however there are always laptops open in lectures. Some will be taking notes on them, some will be on facebook, and others will have the lecture slides open whilst taking notes on a pad.

Not sure if you mean sleeping over? Friends of mine and other flatmates always come round to work or to predrink with on a night out. Sometimes people stay over but i think for it to be legit you have to ask permission or something.

Not sure how many people study computer science as many modules are shared with other courses like IT, AI and other classes. Like i said before compulsory modules will have maybe 100-150 people in them, where specific modules may only have 30.

Hope this helps:smile:

Lots of help thank you!
Reply 31
Yep, I was really surprised by it to be honest! I still don't know if I should insure them or not. What are your thoughts?

It might be because their course is under-subscribed and they are trying to entice more people with this offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you get an offer from reading even though you have GCSE maths at grade C?
But the website did state that they may accept GCSE physics at B (which I got)
what do you think?
Reply 32
Original post by Mk600
what do you think?

Yes I have an unconditional offer with a C in GCSE maths
Original post by Mk600
what do you think?

Hi MK600,
Admissions will factor all elements of your application; if there are elements in your application that are stronger that can offset your GCSE grades they may still offer you an unconditional offer; however there are no guarantees and considered on a case-by-case basis :smile:

Mark
2nd Year Accounting and Management
Reply 34
Hi Guys,
I've just finished my first year as a comp sci in reading. Now the first thing I would say is to not skip lectures, especially when it comes to math and fundamentals as it is very easy to fall behind. When comparing with friends that go to other universities it seems that reading has a very maths intensive course. If you have any questions PM me.
Reply 35
Original post by ventexe
Yes I have an unconditional offer with a C in GCSE maths

Oh really? What subjects? Extracurricular?
Reply 36
Original post by Mk600
Oh really? What subjects? Extracurricular?

Just with an IT BTEC
Reply 37
Original post by ventexe
Just with an IT BTEC

Sounds good! Are you doing the comp science course for three years or the four year course with a placement?
LOL, from Warwick to Reading.

Only you PrincepieMan
Reply 39

What alevels did you do?
Extra Curricular?
Do you think the course is under subscribed/oversubscribed?
What were your other choices? (insurance etc?)
Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending