The Student Room Group

IB Extended Essay ..deadline in months time... i'm screwed

i'm really screwed here .... i gat a month til my deadline on my EE and i gat no ****ing idea where to start .. i dont think i made a mistake taking the Ib progr.. and i dont wanna throw it away just for a stupid essay. anyway my essay is about bilingualism and im to write my essay in swedish, and my swedish sucks big time. any advice here IBizzzz?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should really choose a topic you enjoy and think you can do well. Just remember that you need to do an essay, and if you don't do it well, you may not get the +3 bonus but at least you will pass.

I suggest you plan it urgently. Spend a weekend writing it (the whole weekend) and then spend the last two weekends looking over it, etc.
i would recommend writing in swedish i'm assumings its your group 2 language? in somethign you find interesting there is lods of music and stuff you could look at abba's influence in world music or something. it should be somethign you enjoy for you to do well and work hard at it. i strongly advice a break from school :p:
^o) do you have a topic yet?

I agree with Deus though, choose a topic that you will enjoy working on. trust me, nothing makes the EE more of a pain than a topic that makes you think it's a chore to do the EE.

the trick with actually getting started is just to get *into* it. put down a large amount of time (like a weekend) to plan and actually just start writing it. don't worry about title just yet, just plan on a general topic and start writing. you can only edit when you've written, you know. :biggrin:
Reply 4
AHHH. well my extended essay is due in 4 days!! :s-smilie:
Reply 5
y r they due so soon??
the IB dsnt want for atleast another 2 months
i gave my in like 1.5 months before i sat the IB exams
im puzzled...
Reply 6
i have no idea :s-smilie:
we started planning for our EEs about a month into IB1 as well!
i guess my school just wants us to be done with the EEs early so we can concentrate on just the IB exams when the time comes.
Reply 7
yeah, some schools put the deadline early, so as to "lift the EE of the students' shoulders" as they put it in my school :p:

I think it's good, because then you can really focus on the finals!

Luv //J.

Biology HL
Maths Studies SL
Economics SL
French B SL

EE: "The characterization of Morton Rainey as John Shooter in Stephen King's novella 'Secret Window, Secret Garden'" (don't know what to write yet, though. help, if u have any ideas if you've read the novella/seen the film.)
Don't worry... easier said than done. Yeah, I know. Andy_Cole2, find a subject you like, something that really really interests you and write in that so that you can narrow it down. And find examples that also really intrigue you. But first thing, plan it out really well so that you don't have to replan it which is stupidly what I have to do... and apparently we have 26 days til the due date. Lol, spunky! :P:
yeah, my school's EE deadline is always november. the idea is so that its before mocks and so you have december (winter vacation no less) and jan to study for your mocks in feb without havign to worry about EE. also that give the IBC and superisor loads of time to find faults with the EE and fix it if necessary.
Reply 10
I forgot these. They are in the "Revision Links" topic but here.

Biology Extended Essays Biology Extended Essays.
The Use of Microlensing to Find Dark Matter in the form of MACHOs HL Physics Extended Essay by Henry Seeto.
History Extended Essay Assessment Criteria History EE Assessment Criteria.
Chemistry Extended Essay Guidelines Chemistry EE Guidelines.
Extended Essay titles Extended Essay titles from a range of subjects.
EE Subject Guidelines Extended Essay individual subject guidelines.
The Extended Essay Subject specific guidelines.
IB Resources - Essays An IB student's TOK essay and Computer Science Extended Essay.
Ashbury College - Extended Essays Exemplary samples of past student extended essays. International School of Toulouse: Extended Essay Gallery of History Extended Essays completed by students.
abbe - I'd say you rep Deus for all the sites he just gave you but with that postcount... :p:

still, as the FAQ says it's the thought that counts!
Reply 12
HMSChocolate
abbe - I'd say you rep Deus for all the sites he just gave you but with that postcount... :p:

still, as the FAQ says it's the thought that counts!

LOL

Its just a copy of the links from IB Notes! :p:

Rep IB notes if you really want to be picky :wink: - but yes, with your postcount, it would be useless to his overall rep. I can only rep like 9-10 points i think! :redface:
Reply 13
why is everybody saying you should choose something you like? thats in my opinoin a bad advice.
A person in your stage should always seek a topic that has the most reasourses that can help you. either from Books or from the net... then if you can manage to find something that interests you that would be even better.
taking a rarely ever written about topic just because it interests you, would increase the chance of you getting stuck. which from what i can see you, something you realy cannot afford right now.
lets face it guys we dont do the EE for fun .... we do it for IB , so we as might as well score the most points.
Reply 14
It's good to know that there are people doing worse than me in the IB. I suggest that you do not complete your EE or TOK... you are screwed and don't have time too begin.
Reply 15
Only rep me once you are done with your EE. :biggrin:

Anyway Deepnight is right, to an extent. Figure out what your extended essay is going to be about. Bilingualism just doesn't seem focused enough.

What aspect of bilinguism? You going to talk about if it's helpful? Bad? Good? Required? etc etc. Where you going to get information from?
Reply 16
ayden161
It's good to know that there are people doing worse than me in the IB. I suggest that you do not complete your EE or TOK... you are screwed and don't have time too begin.

That is the worst advice I've ever heard in my life. You can FAIL the diploma on that advice alone :smile:

deepknight
why is everybody saying you should choose something you like? thats in my opinoin a bad advice.
A person in your stage should always seek a topic that has the most reasourses that can help you. either from Books or from the net... then if you can manage to find something that interests you that would be even better.

I know what you are trying to say here, but it lacks the basic principles of the EE. Firstly you DO NOT need a load of sources for your EE. Just because it has a bibliography, doesn't mean it gives you the free reign to pile a load of crap resources into it. Secondly, she is doing it in Swedish - language EE obviously won't need to cite as many sources as say a History EE so again, bad point.

EE is not meant to be about "doing it for the IB", its meant to be about you enjoying it and learning something valuable from it. If you can find a topic that interests you, it generally makes it easier to write 4000 words on it - I'm not saying you have to do it on something that interests you, but it certainly helps.

The only other way is if you KNOW its going to be an easy topic and you can reach 4000 words with little effort - this is the road I took and I did my essay on data security on the internet. It wasnt one that particularly interested me but it sure was an easy topic for me to write on as I knew a lot about it (First Draft: dropped 3 marks). :wink:
Reply 17
danglenister
That is the worst advice I've ever heard in my life. You can FAIL the diploma on that advice alone :smile:

I don't remember asking for your feedback on the advice that I contribute to this forum. You know, whenever I suggest something to anyone, someone always disagrees and I my tolerance is starting to run low. I just can not understand why you would want someone else to be awarded their diploma, remember that if you do not help someone, you have a better chance at receiving better grades and your diploma.

Some people just do not consider all the outcomes of their comments before they post on TSR.
Reply 18
ayden161
I don't remember asking for your feedback on the advice that I contribute to this forum.

If you dont want feedback, DONT post stupid comments.

You know, whenever I suggest something to anyone, someone always disagrees and I my tolerance is starting to run low.

You wonder why people disagree?? Stop being so arrogant.

I just can not understand why you would want someone else to be awarded their diploma, remember that if you do not help someone, you have a better chance at receiving better grades and your diploma.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is an egocentric p.o.v.

Wake up and stop being so self-centered and shallow.

Some people just do not consider all the outcomes of their comments before they post on TSR.

Straight back at ya :wink:
Reply 19
hahahahah hear hear :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending