The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ayden161

Warnings Level: 20

Last I checked that means he is temporarily banned. Good news. Anyway, don't despair. :smile: Just start now rather than later.
Reply 21
danglenister

I know what you are trying to say here, but it lacks the basic principles of the EE. Firstly you DO NOT need a load of sources for your EE. Just because it has a bibliography, doesn't mean it gives you the free reign to pile a load of crap resources into it. Secondly, she is doing it in Swedish - language EE obviously won't need to cite as many sources as say a History EE so again, bad point.

EE is not meant to be about "doing it for the IB", its meant to be about you enjoying it and learning something valuable from it. If you can find a topic that interests you, it generally makes it easier to write 4000 words on it - I'm not saying you have to do it on something that interests you, but it certainly helps.

The only other way is if you KNOW its going to be an easy topic and you can reach 4000 words with little effort - this is the road I took and I did my essay on data security on the internet. It wasnt one that particularly interested me but it sure was an easy topic for me to write on as I knew a lot about it (First Draft: dropped 3 marks). :wink:

first of all... when i said something u can find a lot of reasources in. its not for your bibliography to look prettier. its for an easy going essay that can be enhanced through internet reading, surveys and books etc..( note the importance of secondary sources in the IB). Also if you are struggling with time you dont have the time to come up with your own original idea completely. as most of you would agree the hardest part of the EE is starting from scrtch. Caution however should be taken so you dont plagerise.:s-smilie:

Also, how many of us would probably had more time to study if it wasnt for the EE. in an ideal world yes we should enjoy the essay. but this is not the case with most IBers i persume ( Even though this statement almost breaked every ToK rule ever made:p:)

suggestions to thread starter:
1- usually IBers spend nearly as much time to find the topic for the essay asthe time doing it... this is only good if u have timev as you can plan it out carefully, maybe find something interesting and easy. in your case i suggest you start doing a topic that has been done before, look for similar essays/titles on the net it might be helpful

2- Don't panic, dont let creeps in school or in this forum let you down by sayin "Oh no....you havent started yet..your f***ed" even though most people at this stage in your school have finished or nearly finished the EE... people really do it at big chunks at a time.(e.g 500 words a day then after 3 weeks 700 words etc ). this means a couple of days of hard work should get it done especially if your essay isnt tied around primary data like most Science EEs. if u can dich school for a day or 2 that would be helpful (Little children visiting into this forum..close your ears, please do not attembt as diching is a realy bad and addictive habit STAY AWAY..). the only aspect that u will probably be missing on is the time you get for the endless redrafting for the essay... although most people would usually have 3-5 drafts... you might only have a chance to do 1 or 2 drafts.

Good Luck. and start the essay NOW.
Reply 22
Well done danglenister , you nailed that Australian rat quite well. bravo!

ok her is my full story of the EE , i planned a year ago to write my EE in group 1 and i had a very interesting subject which i worked on alot , but a month ago when my teacher was signing up our class to the IBO , it was discovered that i was not allowed to write an extended essay in the A1 language, so all the hard work i went through, i was to trash away and start afresh. i thought what the heck i can as well do it in swedish B. the case here is am i screwed up or did my school screw it up for me?

swedish schools dont take the IB serious.

IB May 2007
HL Psychology
HL Chemistry
HL Biology
SL Math Studs.
SL Swedish B
SL English A1
Reply 23
You are allowed to do an EE in your A1 language - might just be your school's own policies.
Reply 24
ayden161
I don't remember asking for your feedback on the advice that I contribute to this forum. You know, whenever I suggest something to anyone, someone always disagrees and I my tolerance is starting to run low. I just can not understand why you would want someone else to be awarded their diploma, remember that if you do not help someone, you have a better chance at receiving better grades and your diploma.

Some people just do not consider all the outcomes of their comments before they post on TSR.

just wanted to point out that your grades are not completely based on what other bring because its as the IB calls it Criterion based assessment so its not really curved... in theory all the IB candidates can get a 7 in a subject if they do well, and even the candidate with the lowest mark in the world for that subject can potentialy get a 7. you can check this if you go to the IBO statistics and u'll see that some subjects mostly languages theres only candidates getting 6 and 7 for a particular year.
Reply 25
abbe_escoba
Well done danglenister , you nailed that Australian rat quite well. bravo!

ok her is my full story of the EE , i planned a year ago to write my EE in group 1 and i had a very interesting subject which i worked on alot , but a month ago when my teacher was signing up our class to the IBO , it was discovered that i was not allowed to write an extended essay in the A1 language, so all the hard work i went through, i was to trash away and start afresh. i thought what the heck i can as well do it in swedish B. the case here is am i screwed up or did my school screw it up for me?

Something's not right. I have never heard of anyone not being able to write the EE in your A1 language. What's wrong with that?
Reply 26
As I said before, its probably the school's own policies.
Reply 27
Surely the school is not allowed to do that...?
Reply 28
They can do whatever they like

Much like they can choose not to teach certain subjects at their school one year, then teach it the next.
Reply 29
here is another thing about about my school , i had no any options on whether i wanted to take a subject on HL or SL .. i wanted to take my self taught A1 English as a HL subject . but they told me no u cant . weird u might say but i think it's just f.....cked up
Reply 30
Maybe they dont have the facilities to teach it at HL??

They might not have the teachers to teach it??

TBH, at HL your school needs to have teaching staff who are qualified enough to teach it, can spare the time required by IB conditions to teach it and can help you out when stuck. If they can't afford that then they dont teach it.

Thats why most schools dont teach Comp. Sci. HL.
Reply 31
The best way of doing well is to help others so that they can help you
Reply 32
saray
The best way of doing well is to help others so that they can help you

Am i missing something here? I thought this was a thread about the EE :confused:
Reply 33
danglenister
Am i missing something here? I thought this was a thread about the EE :confused:

Completely my bad! Did not see the rest of the posts, just the ones about "don't help anybody else, it is better for your results". :redface:

...But the essence is still important:rolleyes:
Reply 34
saray
Completely my bad! Did not see the rest of the posts, just the ones about "don't help anybody else, it is better for your results". :redface:

...But the essence is still important:rolleyes:

LOL ok.

I do agree with the statement though :wink:
the school's only policy won't stand up, if there is somethign you generally have a problem with and you know its the schools fault you have nothing to lose from writing to the IBO, email them, they're pretty sharp with a response this whole thing, though i don't really understand it seems ridiculous, particualrly as it seems to just be your schools pedanticism.
Reply 36
abbe_escoba
here is another thing about about my school , i had no any options on whether i wanted to take a subject on HL or SL .. i wanted to take my self taught A1 English as a HL subject . but they told me no u cant . weird u might say but i think it's just f.....cked up

thats actually an IB policy. it can be seen their handbook:self-taught A1 has to be SL. i dont know why though.
but it sucks that you cant do language A1 , cause most people in my school either do that or history.

In my school you cant do language B for the EE, i think its because they are not sure of the level language your suppose to write in... and how should grammer spelling be marked.
Reply 37
andy_cole2
the school's only policy won't stand up, if there is somethign you generally have a problem with and you know its the schools fault you have nothing to lose from writing to the IBO, email them, they're pretty sharp with a response this whole thing, though i don't really understand it seems ridiculous, particualrly as it seems to just be your schools pedanticism.

I think the IB give schools a lot of space in giving their own say... for example and this is the most famous IB policy in our school:
The student must abide by the internal deadlines set by the school to be eligable for a diploma.
or something like that.
Also they are not under any kind of stress from the IB to offer particular subjects/Levels. even if X percentage of students demand it.

Also, this one is totally silly: The school may choose not to submit a student's work for external assessment, if they suspect that it is not the fully the student's own. ( i.e. a proof is not nessesory).
Reply 38
Deepnight it sounds to me that u know alot about the IBO stuffs than anyone in the forum . anyway just wanted to know whether u have graduated or u r writing your exams in may just like me , damn u r really smart the IB thingy
Reply 39
Deepnight
Also, this one is totally silly: The school may choose not to submit a student's work for external assessment, if they suspect that it is not the fully the student's own. ( i.e. a proof is not nessesory).

How is that silly?? It makes perfect sense to me.

If the school suspects you are cheating then they should not submit it to the IB. If they do and the IB then suspects the student cheated, the whole of the school's marks will be brought down (with emphasis on poor marking) as well as the student then potentially failing the diploma.

You don't need proof to suspect someone of cheating.. there are some very common features when you read a person's work that would shout cheating: strangely sophisticated vocabulary, abundance of uncited facts not taught in the syllabus, perfect grammar.. etc.etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending