The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
abbe_escoba
Deepnight it sounds to me that u know alot about the IBO stuffs than anyone in the forum . anyway just wanted to know whether u have graduated or u r writing your exams in may just like me , damn u r really smart the IB thingy

No..not realy im sitting the exams in may... and the reason why i know this IB crap is because ive transferd in the middle of the IB program, which made me refer to the IB handbook a lot. Cause you most IBCs are clueless when it comes to special cases like transfers and other stuff...( advice to all IBers with stupid/clueless IBCs get a The IB Bible...its called Vade mecum which i think means Guidebook in French)
another reason is unlike most second year IBers ive actually done an Official IB exam, which means, i know the exam procedures, i also had to change the my cand number which is a pain in the booty.

Thanx for the comment about being an IB thingy, but Im not sure of should take it as compliment:p:.(P.S a rep wouldnt be so bad considering that IB thingies like extra points!!)
Reply 41
Deepnight
(P.S a rep wouldnt be so bad considering that IB thingies like extra points!!)

With his post count?? Abbe doesn't have any rep power at the moment so effectively you'd have "Thanks for the help" in your rep section with a nice dark-green gem to cheer you up.
Reply 42
danglenister
How is that silly?? It makes perfect sense to me.

If the school suspects you are cheating then they should not submit it to the IB. If they do and the IB then suspects the student cheated, the whole of the school's marks will be brought down (with emphasis on poor marking) as well as the student then potentially failing the diploma.

You don't need proof to suspect someone of cheating.. there are some very common features when you read a person's work that would shout cheating: strangely sophisticated vocabulary, abundance of uncited facts not taught in the syllabus, perfect grammar.. etc.etc.

What your saying basicaly is that you are guilty until proven innocent...this is realy a good ToK topic, and infact i could argue effectively using theory of knowledge why this is not a good policy.
Also, whats so wonderfull about the IB is that its externally assessed/moderated, which provides fairness. but if teachers and schools take matters of submitting and not submitting into their own hands this would mean, there's a loop whole for hatefull teachers and bad schools to screw you over...which trust me happens often.
Howevr, your opinion is well respected and i understand where your coming from, as many students are gaining an unfair advantage by submitting work that is not (completely) their own.
Reply 43
danglenister
With his post count?? Abbe doesn't have any rep power at the moment so effectively you'd have "Thanks for the help" in your rep section with a nice dark-green gem to cheer you up.

thats satisfying enough to me.. but y dont help ol' Abbe out and give the thingie what it it deserves:p: LOL ( just kidding)... u dont real have to do that and i realy hate begging for points which already happens more than enough in the IB when asking for your predicted grades. but I Like those little green gems (So SHINEY:biggrin:).
Reply 44
danglenister

I keep helping "those" types of people. I got a whole bunch of those dark green gems, it's oh-so-wonderful :biggrin:
Reply 45
Deepnight
What your saying basicaly is that you are guilty until proven innocent...this is realy a good ToK topic, and infact i could argue effectively using theory of knowledge why this is not a good policy.
Also, whats so wonderfull about the IB is that its externally assessed/moderated, which provides fairness. but if teachers and schools take matters of submitting and not submitting into their own hands this would mean, there's a loop whole for hatefull teachers and bad schools to screw you over...which trust me happens often.
Howevr, your opinion is well respected and i understand where your coming from, as many students are gaining an unfair advantage by submitting work that is not (completely) their own.

Firstly, YES you are guilty until proven innocent. You can use as many ToK ideas as you want here, but it will get you nowhere. If a school suspects you of cheating, they have to take action - this is because if they don't everyone else's marks could be affected (Utilitarianism, come on down).

Second point, the whole loop-hole thing you talk of. This will never be the case, and if it is you simply complain to another teacher, or if its the school, the IBO itself. Putting this simply, this should never happen - I have never heard of a case where a school has had a personal vendetta against a student. You might THINK they do but if they target you for cheating its because they have bloody good reason to do so.

If you can find where this "screwing over" happens often, I'd be intrigued to know because as you should know from ToK, where is the evidence to support this claim?
Gulity till proven innocent...trust examiners to assum the worst of us..:biggrin:
Reply 47
Note to HMS

He can't hear you :wink:

ayden161
Temporarily Banned
yeah I realised that. I also realised that I was a page behind in the talk. that's why I edited with a very pointless comment. :biggrin:
Reply 49
danglenister
Firstly, YES you are guilty until proven innocent. You can use as many ToK ideas as you want here, but it will get you nowhere. If a school suspects you of cheating, they have to take action - this is because if they don't everyone else's marks could be affected (Utilitarianism, come on down).

Second point, the whole loop-hole thing you talk of. This will never be the case, and if it is you simply complain to another teacher, or if its the school, the IBO itself. Putting this simply, this should never happen - I have never heard of a case where a school has had a personal vendetta against a student. You might THINK they do but if they target you for cheating its because they have bloody good reason to do so.

If you can find where this "screwing over" happens often, I'd be intrigued to know because as you should know from ToK, where is the evidence to support this claim?

this is an open-ended argument, so you could argue as much as u want but still get no where.
But you can see you just conflicted your self here cause you cant complain to the IBO if the school is screwing u over this way cause it just granted the school full power over what to do using this contriversial policy.

Also, although this doesnt realy change the nature of the argument, if you refer to my previous post u'll see that IB assessment is criterion based more then its curved, this comes to affect greatly when it comes to essays and projects etc.. which means there is little affect of someone for example writing a PHD thesis for his EE on the rest of the people who've done a good job at secondary school level.

moreover, you are not considering both ends of the argument...what if the student didnt cheat??
I get the impression from your argument that if the teacher suspects u of cheating then you most likely did.
Also, having been to way too many schools for one life time, i've been exposed to many teachers who voluntarily or involuntarily (sub-coconsciously) discriminate between students.
Reply 50
Deepnight
this is an open-ended argument, so you could argue as much as u want but still get no where.
But you can see you just conflicted your self here cause you cant complain to the IBO if the school is screwing u over this way cause it just granted the school full power over what to do using this contriversial policy.

Also, although this doesnt realy change the nature of the argument, if you refer to my previous post u'll see that IB assessment is criterion based more then its curved, this comes to affect greatly when it comes to essays and projects etc.. which means there is little affect of someone for example writing a PHD thesis for his EE on the rest of the people who've done a good job at secondary school level.

moreover, you are not considering both ends of the argument...what if the student didnt cheat??
I get the impression from your argument that if the teacher suspects u of cheating then you most likely did.
Also, having been to way too many schools for one life time, i've been exposed to many teachers who voluntarily or involuntarily (sub-coconsciously) discriminate between students.

First bold: No I didnt. They give the school power but if that power is abused they can step in and overrule. It works much like a business would.

President gives power to manager to look after staff. Manager abuses power. Employee complains to president. President sacks manager.

Second bold: If the student hasn't cheated they still need to prove otherwise. I am not taking the examiner's side but IF a student is suspected of cheating (and i feel you keep evading this point) then it can affect the rest of the school and the school's results as a whole.

The school is obliged by the IB to report any that they suspect of cheating for a reason - if they don't they risk having all of their school's marks reduced, getting a bad reputation etc.

Third Bold: teachers will always discriminate and have favouritism but it is LUDICROUS for you to suggest that people get reported for cheating purely because a teacher doesn't favour you - it doesnt happen. End of. Theoretically if it did, you would report that teacher to someone with more authority and they would get the decision overturned.
Reply 51
To abbe:

If you dont see my point, i can see who's the "blonde" one here.

As far as i can see, youre the one not doing very well
Reply 52
We need to calm the IB forums. Everyone is getting hostile. Feel the love!
Reply 53
Im friendly and nice, but i dont tolerate anybody insulting me.
Reply 54
You 'IB survivors' should be able to take the criticism on the chin - if anyone is going to throw a strop its me :p:
Reply 55
First of all, congrats on your highly effective bold coding system... it realy helps understanding (Im not being sarchastic).

ok, seriously im getting kind of bored from this but basicaly this is the last comment on this issue;

If a power can be overuled it ceases to be a power.

Also this whole argument is based on that the school does not need any proof which i clearly stated from the begining. this has nothing to do if it effects the rest of the people.

Your argument is getting a little slopy there in the end...your just making to many assumptions.

Somebody please back me up on this... andi, where the hell are you:smile:?

I'd love to argue with till dawn but got, I have pile of homework waiting for me.
We need to calm the IB forums. Everyone is getting hostile. Feel the love!

yeah...I have a feeling ayden has definitely left his aura.
Reply 57
If you dont see my point, i can see who's the "blonde" one here.

As far as i can see, youre the one not doing very well

hey come on here , i know i was sort of trippin' there but wow it looks to like i found sumone who is more nerdy that i am. 41 wow respect ,

no offense ...the blonde thingy was just sumthing i like telling all my fellow sweds ...

anyway where in sweden r u located?
Reply 58
Deepnight
First of all, congrats on your highly effective bold coding system... it realy helps understanding (Im not being sarchastic).

ok, seriously im getting kind of bored from this but basicaly this is the last comment on this issue;

If a power can be overuled it ceases to be a power.

Also this whole argument is based on that the school does not need any proof which i clearly stated from the begining. this has nothing to do if it effects the rest of the people.

Your argument is getting a little slopy there in the end...your just making to many assumptions.

Somebody please back me up on this... andi, where the hell are you:smile:?

I'd love to argue with till dawn but got, I have pile of homework waiting for me.

Ok. I doubt anyone will back you up on this because you aren't arguing this effectively - the assumptions are entirely coming from your end (i.e. teachers having grudges against students - enough so to accuse them of cheating).

"If a power can be overruled, it ceases to be a power"

If anything, that weakens your argument further. Let me try to fill in the blanks - i'm trying to do this as simply as possible but obviously you just don't get it:

Schools have a power to a point. That is, they can accuse the student of cheating and not send their papers off - however the buck stops with the IBO. If you know anything about business you'd know why this happens. If schools are given free-reign, they can make mistakes. The IBO write the exams and overall determine who passes and fails - if a student complains to the IBO they can simply overrule the decision and investigate further.

A school doesnt need proof -we agree on that.

Firstly this has EVERYTHING to do with its effects on other people - a school's image is at risk, an entire year of students at that school's grades are at risk - schools will not take lightly on the decision to report a cheater to the IBO. They wont need to show evidence to the IBO but they have to be damn well certain that the guy cheated in the first place otherwise they're sticking their neck on the line for no good reason.
Reply 59
The thing is abbe: you should not be "joking" about things that can be considered offensive. Maybe i overreacted, but still, please dont joke about these things. Especially since we've got a serious situation with racism now in europe. Dont get me wrong now - im not calling you a racist, but we should not encourage behaviour where we make fun of our ethnical backgrounds.

But peace then - you see, ill rather help you out than fight.

I live in lund.

Latest

Trending

Trending