The Student Room Group

SL B Languages

For those who have already taken SL B <some language>, how well should your ability in that language be in order to receive a high mark (i.e. a 7 :wink: ). I am currently taking SL B French and my skills are pretty decent but I'm not exactly sure what is expected from this course. My oral skills are rather lacking and I'm afraid that this is going to hurt me in the long run. Anyway, any advice would he helpful to me and those who may be wondering the same thing about the SL B Language courses. A "few years of experience in the target language" is a rather vague description :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are obviously stupid then, aren't you. Look at past examination papers and determine if you at the correct level.
o.Ob
For those who have already taken SL B <some language>, how well should your ability in that language be in order to receive a high mark (i.e. a 7 :wink: ). I am currently taking SL B French and my skills are pretty decent but I'm not exactly sure what is expected from this course. My oral skills are rather lacking and I'm afraid that this is going to hurt me in the long run. Anyway, any advice would he helpful to me and those who may be wondering the same thing about the SL B Language courses. A "few years of experience in the target language" is a rather vague description :p:

I'm currently taking French B HL. In order to do SL, you should've already done about 2 years of the language prior to doing the course. That being said, one of my mates is doing French B SL with only a year and he'll probably get a 7.
Even if your oral's not great, over the two years of IB it'll improve, trust me :wink:.

Hope that's of some help.
Reply 3
ayden161
You are obviously stupid then, aren't you. Look at past examination papers and determine if you at the correct level.

Yes, as if I haven't thought of that yet. I was merely asking for someone who has actually received a 7 or anyone familiar with the course if they had any advice on how to do well. Seriously, what is with your attitude? I don't understand why you have to be so disdainful.

Burnin_Heart
I'm currently taking French B HL. In order to do SL, you should've already done about 2 years of the language prior to doing the course. That being said, one of my mates is doing French B SL with only a year and he'll probably get a 7.
Even if your oral's not great, over the two years of IB it'll improve, trust me :wink:.

Hope that's of some help.

Thanks Burnin_Heart. So how fluent is your French then if you don't mind me asking? Anyway, I think I saw someone post some geography papers :wink:
Ok, I'll tell you this. I got an A* in my IGCSE French as a Foreign Language (which...looking back, is nowhere near the standard of IB French B) and I got a 6 at French B SL. I was actually loosely predicted a 7, but I never expected it.

I thought my oral averaged around a 5 (same problem as you, I guess). The only way to really improve you oral skill is loads of practice, I'm afraid. We had class orals every week in class and were practically forbidden to speak English in class which made French the only class we can't talk freely to each other in (hehe). I was totally lost in French the first year, but it got better and I began to actually understand the questions my teacher asked in the orals. :p:

And for the reading papers, I think my class msut have done every past paper in existence (or at least in the past 10 years) at least twice. eventually you get so trained doing the reading papers that you learn to do them quickly and skim and pick up information.

did that help?
learn key phrases learn how to lay stuff out in the right style and learn a bit of french slang. the msot important part is the key phrases just learn a whole load of them that can be pulled out irrepsective of the question. i think that should work for me anyway... :p:
oh, yeah, slang. it's really useful and they're dead fun to learn. really might not sound so important but being able to use slang and common expressions kind of show you haven't just learnted a bunch of vocab and verbs and thrown them together but have studied the culture of the language.
Reply 7
I'd agree, the use of slang in IB languages helps you with the 'Cultural Interaction' aspect of the markscheme. The IB obviously consider a successful language candidate to not only be able to successfully speak the language, but to also be able to make it relevant to the situation (e.g. essay or oral).
Thanks Burnin_Heart. So how fluent is your French then if you don't mind me asking? Anyway, I think I saw someone post some geography papers :wink:

No probs!~ :biggrin: Errr... how fluent is my French? I don't know, hey. Enough to get the gist of most of the French stuff I hear, but ummm... yeah, that's about it. I'm not exactly Miss Fabulous French (as awesome as that would be :wink:).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got geography papers!!!~ :biggrin: I'm such a nerd, I swear! :p: But yeah, I'm thrilled!!!~ :smile:

So are you still going ahead with a Language SL (/HL) B?
Reply 9
Does doing French B get you a Bilingual diploma? My teacher at school said so but I dont really trust her.
no you dont get a bilingual diploma with Language B. you get a bilingual diploma if you do both an A1 and A2 language, I remember correctly.
HMS is right french teacer is wrong, unless its a special case wiht french B, which i doubt :p:
Reply 12
Cheers guys.
Reply 13
Yep. Also, you can get a bilingual diploma by (1) taking two language A1 courses, (2) taking at least one exam in group 3 (Individuals and Societies) or group 4 (Experimental Sciences) other than your group 1 (Language A1) course, or (3) writing an EE in a group 3 or 4 subject in another language other than your group 1.
:eek: i never knew those other ones, interesting and surely easier than doing all of A2
Reply 15
i am doin hindi b sl.. itz pretty easy
Reply 16

Japanese SL B... its not easy :p:
japanese is considered along with chinese the hardest langage.
Reply 18
One day, I'll learn my own language : Chinese xD. I can barely speak it at the moment. In fact, I know more French than Chinese which I find is pretty sad o.O

Anyway, for all those SL B Language 7'ers, how fluent were all of you in your particular language? Did you have some difficulty in understanding the teacher? Various works? How about your grammar/compositions? Yeah, just curious :smile:
is there an indicator as to 'how fluent' you are in a language. i mean, what scale are you measuring it on, aside from those questions? there isnt a scale, really and I think it's quite relative.

I'd like to learn Chinese, but purely to watch Chinese movies and dramas online so that I can escape the horrible dubbing that I get in Vietnamese. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending