The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Should I stay at home or go for student accomodation? Both of which are in London.

I've just accepted an offer to do photography at LCC. I live in Angel, Islington. LCC is six stops down the northern line which is ideal.
It's my family house but my mum is only there twice a week if ever and my little sister lives mainly in the country. So i've got a house to myself more or less.

I just want to know if I'll be missing out on a lot by not going into halls. Will it be harder to get involved, meet people etc? If so, is it really worth paying or taking out a loan for it if I'm already more than sorted with somewhere to live?

I'd just like to make sure it'll be possible to experience a student life to its fullest from the comfort of one's own home as it were. At the minute I'm thinking that would be perfect situation, but I just want to be certain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I spent the first two terms in halls before changing uni and going back home.
Living in halls feels a lot more like the "student experience" so if that's important to you then you should probably try them.
Having said that, you seem to have the house pretty much to yourself so in terms of independence it might not make that much difference.
It is also A LOT cheaper to not have to pay for accommodation (so, so much cheaper). You could use some of that saved cash to buy a round, people would like that!
In terms of making friends, people do tend to stick with the people they live with for the first few weeks because of not knowing anyone else, however if you join some societies you really like or are interested in you'll almost certainly make friends there, as well as potentially making friends with people on your course.
Personally I found living at home was a much better fit for me and didn't impede on my social life that much at all after the first few weeks, plus people really liked being able to come over to my house and get tea and biscuits.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hi there :smile:
My name is Carina and i saw your post, basically living on halls you feel much more the uni spirit, you meet a lot of persons from different places and different countries, i m studying in LCC as well. i m gonna move out from the hall because i came with my boyfriend and we decide to take the step of living together. But this was one of the most good experiences that i had in London , i made really really good friends and i feel a lovely connection. If you are looking for a place Im putting my room to rent if you are interest contact me :smile: i have a lot of people interested in the room, but in some point i had exactly the same feeling when i arrive so if you want please contact me ASAP. And good luck in your journey in LCC and in London
Reply 3
Staying in halls is a major part of the college experience. I stay at pure city. Its not expensive and is all inclusive. Its also just a 10 minutes walk from angel so you'll be close to home. You should come and view it. Living with people your age studying similar things is a lot of fun.
Original post by crysostom
I've just accepted an offer to do photography at LCC. I live in Angel, Islington. LCC is six stops down the northern line which is ideal.
It's my family house but my mum is only there twice a week if ever and my little sister lives mainly in the country. So i've got a house to myself more or less.

I just want to know if I'll be missing out on a lot by not going into halls. Will it be harder to get involved, meet people etc? If so, is it really worth paying or taking out a loan for it if I'm already more than sorted with somewhere to live?

I'd just like to make sure it'll be possible to experience a student life to its fullest from the comfort of one's own home as it were. At the minute I'm thinking that would be perfect situation, but I just want to be certain.
You can always go to halls for the first year and then go back home.
Save money and stay home. You can always mingle with your course mates (meet people at the uni) even if you are not staying in halls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending