The Student Room Group

Not sure if I should commute or buy accommodation

I've been accepted into the University of Manchester, and am starting on the 18th. I live in Preston, which is not too far away from Manchester (it is an hour by car and an hour and a half by public transport) My original plan was to commute everyday because of this. However, now I'm wondering if it will be doable if I have classes at 8am, especially when it is really cold and dark. I'm also kind of worried about missing out on the social aspect of university too, by staying at home. However, I also know that I haven't applied for accommodation yet, so there's*a very minimal chance of me getting any accommodation that I prefer, or would be able to afford, especially since my course starts in 2 weeks.
What do you guys think I should do?
2 hours of commute by car every day is pretty crazy. mine is ~1h 30 by car, maybe ~20 mins longer by coach.
i wouldn’t do it, personally. i’d say contact your uni directly, you could also rent a property nearby if you can afford it.
Don’t stay at home, especially for the first year.
Anon,

You could have a look and see what accommodation is still available, and if there is anywhere that you might be happy staying, but don't feel like you have to move out.

I think an hour's commute one way is doable, though think about the route you would take and how busy it likely to be in the mornings and evenings.

Is it likely that this hour will become 90 minutes at peak times?

There are benefits to moving out including being on or close to campus, not having to worry about the journey in or the journey home and living with people who are near or roughly the same age as you. You can be more independent and it can be a good learning experience when it comes to shopping, cooking, laundry, learning to live with strangers and cleaning!

All that being said, there are also benefits to staying at home. You are comfortable and settled already. There are certain responsibilities that you don't have to worry about whether that's cooking or cleaning etc If you feel stressed out, you have the support of your family and you can save money. You don't have to go out and buy pots and plates, bed linen (pillows, duvet, covers etc) and all the other items necessary for moving, and then the regular grocery shopping.

Think carefully about both options.

You could always see how it goes commuting and if you still wanted to move out, then you could see what your options are.

If you know that you really do want to move out, then try and sort this out now before uni begins!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Thank you, I'll probably do as you've said and try commuting first, and if its really difficult I'll see if I can find accomodation!
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

You could have a look and see what accommodation is still available, and if there is anywhere that you might be happy staying, but don't feel like you have to move out.

I think an hour's commute one way is doable, though think about the route you would take and how busy it likely to be in the mornings and evenings.

Is it likely that this hour will become 90 minutes at peak times?

There are benefits to moving out including being on or close to campus, not having to worry about the journey in or the journey home and living with people who are near or roughly the same age as you. You can be more independent and it can be a good learning experience when it comes to shopping, cooking, laundry, learning to live with strangers and cleaning!

All that being said, there are also benefits to staying at home. You are comfortable and settled already. There are certain responsibilities that you don't have to worry about whether that's cooking or cleaning etc If you feel stressed out, you have the support of your family and you can save money. You don't have to go out and buy pots and plates, bed linen (pillows, duvet, covers etc) and all the other items necessary for moving, and then the regular grocery shopping.

Think carefully about both options.

You could always see how it goes commuting and if you still wanted to move out, then you could see what your options are.

If you know that you really do want to move out, then try and sort this out now before uni begins!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending