The Student Room Group

Commuting to London or staying at Warwick

Could someone tell me the pros and cons of commuting to a London uni?
Could someone tell me the pros and cons of staying in a campus uni like Warwick?

I live in Essex and if I go to LSE in London then I'd have to stay at home making me think that I'm missing out on the uni experience but I know that you save a lot of money which will benefit you so much in the long run. However, when I went to see Warwick I loved it and I want to stay there very much. The only discussion is around money and whether a degree in London would be better for jobs and networking as well as the sandwich year in industry.
Reply 1
Original post by idontevenknow26
Could someone tell me the pros and cons of staying in a campus uni like Warwick?

I live in Essex and if I go to LSE in London then I'd have to stay at home making me think that I'm missing out on the uni experience but I know that you save a lot of money which will benefit you so much in the long run. However, when I went to see Warwick I loved it and I want to stay there very much. The only discussion is around money and whether a degree in London would be better for jobs and networking as well as the sandwich year in industry.

I’m starting uni this summer with no financial help from family and *****y loans but still decided to live at the accommodation, live a little.
No point in worrying that much about money at our young age.
Personally I don’t think you should base it on money, pick the uni which seems best fitting for you and the one which has the best course.
Also as for networking and jobs after graduation I don’t exactly think the uni being in London helps, I mean for example Cambridge I’m pretty sure would have better connections than majority of London based universities. There are plenty websites which show employability after graduation for each uni.

For sandwich years you honestly can never go wrong with them they’re just really good, any experience is good experience. However make sure the actual sandwich year is in the field that you want.
For example my top picks when applying was Surrey, aru and rhul but compared to the rest Surrey, for psychology had so many options for the placement for all the different fields within psychology.
Do some research in literally everything and compare them both, highly suggest not to base it all on money unless you are certain even with loans and a part time job you won’t be able to afford the accommodation
Original post by idontevenknow26

But do you really save money I mean have you costed it I costed mine a little while ago it turns out I would save ~£900 a year if I had stayed in the cheapest accommodation the halls I did stay in saved me ~£350 a year so cost it up otherwise you might actually be spending more on travel than you would staying in halls even on a student railcard.

It boule work out cheaper to live in halls but it’s London so…
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending