The Student Room Group

Vauxhall Adam Finance Deal?

Scroll to see replies

i'd check, check and check a few more times about the insurance, most finance deals that include insurance will exclude those under a certain age, with accidents, without no claims etc etc

why? because they aren't going to give away 2k of 'free' insurance
Original post by Walkaah
For an 18 year old its definitely not a basic car, in fact, for most people its not a basic car. Wind down windows is a basic car.

99.99% of cars come with electric windows lol.

A nice little smart runner for the next 3 yrs. Yes, I know nothing is free, but I'd be paying the same for a new corsa + wouldn't get the insurance, so is being classed as free.

New corsa? Did I say a NEW corsa? You realise, if you buy an Adam BRAND NEW, you're gonna lose about £4,000 as soon as your wheels touch the pavement from the dealership, right? And if you hand back the keys, then you've just paid for the dealership to get a brand new Adam and they'll sell it on for a mega profit, after making a mega profit on you.

Compare the market are rated 4.7 stars from 15,000 people.

Btw, you ever heard the saying volvo drivers?

I just face palmed SO HARD. I can't even reply to this, it's just so cringe.

What's wrong, you wouldn't drive a car called Adam? You're sounding like a show off that likes to stick in with the crowd tbh.

What? No, I wouldn't get in an Adam because they rival VW Beetles in terms of girlyness.

Oh and thanks for bringing up my car accident. What, was that some sort of dig at me? + I don't have enough time on my hands to constantly ring up insurance companies which by the way charge a premium per call.

Never heard of just going through their website, no?

I'm not really sure whether you are actually trying to provide me valid and helpful advice or just being negative, seems the latter to be honest.

Trying to help, but you have this attitude of "The 1.2 Adam for 10 grand for 3 years is a beast buy and nothing comes close." Vauxhalls are know for their premium quality and for such a small, low powered car, you're getting a STEAL! :rolleyes: (that what you'd prefer to hear?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
Hey! Thanks for your reply.

I have checked a number of times and all seems legit pal. I spoke to the insurance company and got all my details sorted, the asked me about my accident and said that's fine, not to worry. They know my age and again said that's fine, and they know that I have no claims too. I can't wait to get it now, been waiting what feels like ages :tongue:

as you're financing the car, how are you going to pay 6k to 'own' the car at the end of the 3 years? nearly 10k seems an awful lot to rent a car for 3 years

Regarding the insurance, you mention 18 in the post above, are you 18?

if so

FREE INSURANCE OFFER

If you’re thinking of buying a new ADAM and you’re between 21 and 75 years old, you can enjoy one year’s free insurance‡from us to help you save on your motoring costs. And if you’re 18 to 20 years old, you can get one year’s insurance for £99‡. For more information, please speak to your local Retailer.

Free Insurance Terms and Conditions
‡First year insurance offer available on ADAM models only, excluding ADAM GRAND SLAM. All drivers must have held a valid full UK licence for a minimum of 1 year. All policies are underwritten by Ageas Insurance Ltd. Other insurance-specific terms and conditions apply. Drivers aged 18 to 20 will make a contribution of £99 to their premium and must agree to the fitting of a telematics box to the car: every 3 months, your policy will be reviewed and, if you drive well, we’ll return part of this to you. The policy may be cancelled for consistently poor driving. Only available through ingenie. The offer will cover the full premium for drivers aged between 21 and 75 (motor policy only). Only available through Vauxhall Insurance. Offer available on orders or registrations between 9 February and 6 April 2015.
Original post by kernow24
as you're financing the car, how are you going to pay 6k to 'own' the car at the end of the 3 years? nearly 10k seems an awful lot to rent a car for 3 years

Most likely hand the keys back. Which is an INCREDIBLE amount of money for this car for 3 years. I'd pay half, maximum. And the dealer gets a nice 3 year old model, to bump off for a few thousand over the balloon payment.

Perhaps trade the car in at another garage to pay off the finance. But unfortunately, it's a Vauxhall. They're everywhere and have really bad depreciation, so the trade in value might not even cover the balloon payment.

Thirdly, re-finance the balloon payment. Which turns 6k into 8k+.

Very, very expensive car apparently.
Original post by Walkaah
I really don't... The car comes with first year free insurance saving me over 2k

And yes, I would say it could be classed as a girly car if I got it in red however as I'm getting it all blacked out with a carbon fiber wing mirror and front grill look (which yes, probably isn't real carbon fibre idk) I'd have to disagree with you

People who I know both personally and colleagues (who have a lot of financial previous history) have said it looks like a good deal, so maybe its you being negative again.

Have you proved me wrong on your insurance theory yet? Cmon... its getting late.

At the end of 3 years I will swap the car for another brand new one on a finance deal and take the free years insurance again probably. Besides, if that's the car I want and I can afford it then why shouldn't I go for it? Would like to understand the point you are making a bit more, cos at the moment its not making much sense I'm afraid.

I was about to dissect this post. But you know what, you still think you're not actually paying for the insurance in the ridiculously high cost of this, quite frankly, low-end car. Spend your 10 grand on it. It's your money and Vauxhall I'm sure will do everything they can to get you into another Vauxhall when your 3 years is up; since they're taking you for a ride.

You're obviously an arrogant, new driver that thinks he knows it all. You want people to tell you it's a smashing deal, rather than give you the reality that you're being ripped off. Oh and, people having financial history, doesn't mean they know **** about cars.

Designed for groups of female friends to go into the shops and stop at Starbucks on the way home. I'm sure you'll look incredibly cool with your carbon fibre. Enjoy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
There's no need to dissect, I was just having a conversation. I certainly don't 'know it all' which is why I've been asking for advice, thought that would be pretty simply even for you to work out.

I also don't want people to tell me it's a 'smashing deal', which is why not only asking for advice on here, I also asked for advice from people I know irl who by the way, know a lot about cars. They've even been through the experience of a dodgy deal when they were young so can now spot a con a mile off.

Everyone has their opinion on different cars, and there's always going to be someone who has a negative opinion of a car. In this case, that's you, regardless of the price.

May I ask what car you drive? I'd quite like to see what all this 'experience' and 'EXTREMELY high level car knowledge' brings you?

Your jokes aren't even making me laugh... All I mentioned was the car had a touch of carbon fiber which wouldn't be classed as a feminine option imo.

And the advice I, and others have given, is that it's a very expensive monthly payment for such a car. And who said anything about a dodgy deal? It's not a 'con' - a con would be if you received a car that had the odometer run back to zero. Car dealers could charge person A 500 a month and person B 250 a month. If the person is happy to pay it, it's not a con.

Were you getting the car for say £150 deposit and about £130 a month, I'd say it's a fair deal and go for it.

I wasn't telling any jokes mate, I'm being serious. Carbon fibre doesn't butch up a car. That's like saying I put a mean bodykit on VW Beetle, so now it's macho. You were asking about ST's and VXR's and now you're down to an Adam? By all means, go through with the deal. Whether you like it or not, I was trying to save you many thousands of pounds.

Current car is a Seat Leon FR+.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
You know what I meant by 'con', stop trying to be a smart ass.

The car doesn't compare the a VW beetle.

Yes, I was asking about ST's and VXR's however insurance was about 3k without an accident, and now would have gone up even more. Not gonna pay that for insurance for a year now that DEFINITELY IS A JOKE!

If you were trying to save me thousands of pounds you still haven't given a valid explanation for what you'd do instead...........

P.s. Not even hating but if you're referring to a seat leon fr+ new model then they're really nice, however if you're referring to one which has headlights like these:

...then they actually look a bit on the feminine side and are pretty rank

I'm not being a smart ass, I gave you a correct example of a con. You just mis-used the word.

This car DOES compare to a VW Bettle for feminine factor.

I WOULD NOT BUY THIS CAR, GET A FAR BETTER, SPECCED UP, SECOND HAND CAR WITH SUB 10K MILES ON IT.

Nope, I'm referring to the one you don't like. I had the choice to get the new one with less toys in it, but I don't like the shape. Too generic-rough-random-square-lines for me that every car is now doing. And there's nothing feminine about the Leon FR+ lol. The non FR models look very family car-ish, I'll give you that. I could have said I drive your favourite car and your response would have been exactly the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walkaah
Okay if you say so. I have an opinion just like you do, and in my opinion that's a females car. My favorite* cars are a GTR/Hurricane/RS7, and gathered by your intelligence I doubt you'll ever be able to afford any of those :wink:

If I were to buy a second hand car with 10k miles on it I take it you would suggest an Audi A1? What's the insurance gonna be on that bad boy........ oh... 50 grand again

Haha, I never said you couldn't have an opinion. I find it comical that you want an Adam and call my car feminine :wink: You have the maturity of a 12 year old. NA NA NA YOU CAN'T AFFORD SUPER CARS. I wouldn't need to take my car outta reverse to smoke your Adam :colone:

You're seriously deranged mate. Buy a good, well specced, second hand car with low mileage. It doesn't need to be a premium car, but you'll get a lot more for your money. Even consider the corsa. The adam is just a re-shelled corsa...and it's far more feminine. Actually, not quite sure why I'm still trying to help you, I say go for the Adam, it's a steal at twice the price and you will most definitely not regret it every time you're driving it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Walkaah
Okay if you say so. I have an opinion just like you do, and in my opinion that's a females car. My favorite* cars are a GTR/Hurricane/RS7, and gathered by your intelligence I doubt you'll ever be able to afford any of those :wink:

If I were to buy a second hand car with 10k miles on it I take it you would suggest an Audi A1? What's the insurance gonna be on that bad boy........ oh... 50 grand again

I see a problem here. Ignorance and/or arrogance from both parties.

The clear facts are as such:

-OP wants to pay £3.5k a year for a car for the purpose of gaining a free year of insurance. After which OP will also have to pay for two years of full-price insurance.
-Toasty (rightly) believes this is a silly move, but blames it on the car rather than on the deal itself, which for some people is ideal - but for most is not.

The fact is, you think that by saving £2/3k on insurance this year you're away and laughing. That is not the case. You'd be foolish to commit to such a financial arrangement when, if you have another accident in your new car, you'd have no no-claims next year and be forced to insure your new Adam as you've no other possible choice.

They aren't the worst car in the world - I'll give you that - but there are so many cars that you can pick up for less than that, that are far better in quality. Let's just go on the fact that this year alone, you're going to spend £3.5k on a car and insurance. Then next year, we'll assume your insurance is going to be around £1000 - so by next year you'll have spent £8000 on a car and insurance for two years. By year 3, where we'll assume your insurance is £750, you'll have spent £11,750. Add in tax for those two extra years and we'll say you've spent TWELVE GRAND to borrow a car for three years.

Buy a cosy second-hand corsa for £3k, year 1 insurance £2k, year 2, £1k, year 3 £750 - you've got a total spend of £7,750 and you've still got a car to show for it at the end of the deal.

It's your money - spend it how you want. But please, don't knock the guy for disagreeing with you. His intentions are only meant to be good. You're defending the car because you really want it, and that's fine - but if you've already made your mind up then just delete the thread and go buy it already.

~Matt
Original post by danty
I see a problem here. Ignorance and/or arrogance from both parties.

The clear facts are as such:

-OP wants to pay £3.5k a year for a car for the purpose of gaining a free year of insurance. After which OP will also have to pay for two years of full-price insurance.
-Toasty (rightly) believes this is a silly move, but blames it on the car rather than on the deal itself, which for some people is ideal - but for most is not.

The fact is, you think that by saving £2/3k on insurance this year you're away and laughing. That is not the case. You'd be foolish to commit to such a financial arrangement when, if you have another accident in your new car, you'd have no no-claims next year and be forced to insure your new Adam as you've no other possible choice.

They aren't the worst car in the world - I'll give you that - but there are so many cars that you can pick up for less than that, that are far better in quality. Let's just go on the fact that this year alone, you're going to spend £3.5k on a car and insurance. Then next year, we'll assume your insurance is going to be around £1000 - so by next year you'll have spent £8000 on a car and insurance for two years. By year 3, where we'll assume your insurance is £750, you'll have spent £11,750. Add in tax for those two extra years and we'll say you've spent TWELVE GRAND to borrow a car for three years.

Buy a cosy second-hand corsa for £3k, year 1 insurance £2k, year 2, £1k, year 3 £750 - you've got a total spend of £7,750 and you've still got a car to show for it at the end of the deal.

It's your money - spend it how you want. But please, don't knock the guy for disagreeing with you. His intentions are only meant to be good. You're defending the car because you really want it, and that's fine - but if you've already made your mind up then just delete the thread and go buy it already.

~Matt

Absolutely bang on.

Still, it is a kind of girly car...
Reply 30
Original post by ToastyCoke
-

Okay, well instead of us both disagreeing for the next 100 posts I accept the fact that some info you've provided me has been useful and has been put into consideration.

I've decided to finance the car as it's the option I want to take. Thanks for your input anyway.
Original post by Walkaah
bought :smile:

A move you will come to regret :rolleyes: 12k to rent a car for a few years
Hope you enjoy your new Adam OP, lol.
Reply 33
Original post by kernow24
A move you will come to regret :rolleyes: 12k to rent a car for a few years

i hope not haha :tongue:

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Hope you enjoy your new Adam OP, lol.

Thanks man... After all the caffuffle :smile:
Original post by Walkaah
bought :smile:

Let's race.

Conditions: I'm not allowed passed second gear. You are.
Reward: One years free insurance (should be enough inventive for you)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by live_a_life
Let's race.

Conditions: I'm not allowed passed second gear. You are.
Reward: One years free insurance (should be enough inventive for you)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, that's mean.
Reply 36
I like threads like these. OP asks for help on an obviously bad deal and then ignores all advice given to him. Hope someone remembers to check back in a couple of years.
Hope you enjoy your adam :smile:

If you haven't already, you can go have a look round the adam owners forum :smile: just google it if you're interested, should be the first option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love my adam! However you've made the wrong decision getting the 1.2 engine :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending