The Student Room Group

Any Paramedics about?

Hello and thank you for taking to the time to read this.

The new route into the Paramedic role can be a little confusing.
I see that there are a number of different courses all at different levels all promising routes into becoming a paramedic. What is the difference between all of the different levels? I take it you need the Full BSC Degree?

Also, I note that the entry requirements are getting higher and higher these days. We are currently up to around the 300 UCAS point requirement, and you must pass a number of other tests and interviews before you are allowed onto the course. Does anyone know why the entry requirements have risen so steeply?
Not a paramedic, but I'll try to answer your questions with what I know.

Original post by Medihv
Hello and thank you for taking to the time to read this.

The new route into the Paramedic role can be a little confusing.
I see that there are a number of different courses all at different levels all promising routes into becoming a paramedic. What is the difference between all of the different levels? I take it you need the Full BSC Degree?

I believe as it currently stands you can do a foundation degree or a bachelors degree to train as a paramedic, either as a direct entrant or via an ambulance trust (though not many are still doing this). As long as the course leads to professional registration then you'll be able to work as a registered paramedic on successful completion of the course.

Original post by Medihv
Also, I note that the entry requirements are getting higher and higher these days. We are currently up to around the 300 UCAS point requirement, and you must pass a number of other tests and interviews before you are allowed onto the course. Does anyone know why the entry requirements have risen so steeply?

Competition. Lots of people applying for a small number of places means they can be as selective as they want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending