The Student Room Group

anyone going to bellerbys college

Is there anyone going to bellerbys college this year(sept 2015) cos in considering going there alone and clueless. Btw what do you guys think about bellerbys college? Thanks:biggrin:
Reply 1
Hey, I'm supposed to be going to Bellerby's as well but which one will you be attending? I'll be at Oxford
Hi
Im a Malaysian and plan to do my ALevels in Bellerbys Cambridge or Brighton to pursue my medical degree.Im wondering about the quality of teaching in both the campuses and the difference. Would you be able to give some information on this?
Further how is the teachings there?
Will they bring out the best in us?
I really need the good grades to pursue my dream
Thank you
Hi there, I am currently a student attending Bellerbys College in Brighton, doing my A-Level and hopefully will graduate this year. I can't talk for Bellerbys Cambridge, but I can give you some ideas about studying in Bellerbys Brighton, especially when you want to pursue your medical degree.

I'm proud to say that Bellerbys Brighton has great teachers in the Science department (I've been there since GCSE so I do know almost all of the Science teachers and how they teach), and the Medic Tutor Group (homeroom designed special for future medical students only - this includes veterinary science) is efficient in giving you the preparation to apply to a medic school. For example, they give you a trip to the hospital in Sussex, gives you anatomy class during tutor sessions, et cetera. I can't cross my fingers on this since the head of the medic group changed this year, so it can change once you arrive.

You do need to go for an interview in order to join the medic tutor group by talking to the A-Level Programme Manager at the start of the year and sometimes they assess your Maths and English. I'm not sure about this because one of my friends can't join until she has her English Proficiency prove, but some of them don't even have to do it.

My advice is that if you really come to Bellerbys Brighton to join the medic group, you should show consistency in your grades and always be motivated because honestly, the medic group is the strictest and the most intense tutor group. The pressure is real! Many of my friends dropped from the group due to the pressure and competition. They do warn you about your grades, and if you are in the medic group you can't join the school's student union. A guy was chosen to become the president for the student union but our Headmaster and A-Level Programme Manager advised him to leave the position to someone else because of the work he has to do to get into a medic school.

Be prepared. Teachers are amazing and surprisingly friendly. I assume you're going to take Maths, Biology and Chemistry because they are the required subjects. Our Maths, Biology and Chemistry teachers are great. I've been with all of the biology teachers here and there's only one of them that I personally claim to be a 'bad teacher'. But the chances for you to get her as a teacher is probably... not sure. Just hope for the best. For sure, they always assign the best math teachers for the medic students, verified.

But in the end, everything depends on you though.

The drawback of studying in Bellerbys for me is that teachers show favouritism when they claim that they treat everyone equally. This is a common problem involved in Brighton's science department. Sometimes this motivates me to study harder so I can be like those people they really like, but most of the time it emotionally wrecks you. And schedules are not designed greatly, sometimes you have 4 hours break which will make you feel sleepy during afternoon / pre-evening classes. Securities and staffs are annoying, but in terms of quality in learning, the science department is the best opportunity you can get.

Wish you the best, and I hope you can achieve your dreams! Just hit me up if you want to ask further questions about Bellerbys Brighton.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you so much for the information.
So in terms of teaching of A Level subjects, it’s more intense and focused in Cambridge then it is in Brighton?

As I was seeing in the recent years results the results in Cambridge is better than it is in Brighton, is this because the teachers dedicated to science subjects are better in Cambridge?

In your opinion, are the science teachers in Cambridge more focused academically to produce the best results in A Levels as suppose to Brighton? Would they be willing to provide an extra helping hand to students who find it difficult to cope?

I’m just confused as many student agents I’ve encountered, knowing my chosen degree would be medicine, recommends the Brighton campus.
Would you be able to give me some insight on this?

Thank you so much for being so helpful, hope you have a lovely day ahead.
Original post by freshmilk
Hi there, I am currently a student attending Bellerbys College in Brighton, doing my A-Level and hopefully will graduate this year. I can't talk for Bellerbys Cambridge, but I can give you some ideas about studying in Bellerbys Brighton, especially when you want to pursue your medical degree.

I'm proud to say that Bellerbys Brighton has great teachers in the Science department (I've been there since GCSE so I do know almost all of the Science teachers and how they teach), and the Medic Tutor Group (homeroom designed special for future medical students only - this includes veterinary science) is efficient in giving you the preparation to apply to a medic school. For example, they give you a trip to the hospital in Sussex, gives you anatomy class during tutor sessions, et cetera. I can't cross my fingers on this since the head of the medic group changed this year, so it can change once you arrive.

You do need to go for an interview in order to join the medic tutor group by talking to the A-Level Programme Manager at the start of the year and sometimes they assess your Maths and English. I'm not sure about this because one of my friends can't join until she has her English Proficiency prove, but some of them don't even have to do it.

My advice is that if you really come to Bellerbys Brighton to join the medic group, you should show consistency in your grades and always be motivated because honestly, the medic group is the strictest and the most intense tutor group. The pressure is real! Many of my friends dropped from the group due to the pressure and competition. They do warn you about your grades, and if you are in the medic group you can't join the school's student union. A guy was chosen to become the president for the student union but our Headmaster and A-Level Programme Manager advised him to leave the position to someone else because of the work he has to do to get into a medic school.

Be prepared. Teachers are amazing and surprisingly friendly. I assume you're going to take Maths, Biology and Chemistry because they are the required subjects. Our Maths, Biology and Chemistry teachers are great. I've been with all of the biology teachers here and there's only one of them that I personally claim to be a 'bad teacher'. But the chances for you to get her as a teacher is probably... not sure. Just hope for the best. For sure, they always assign the best math teachers for the medic students, verified.

But in the end, everything depends on you though.

The drawback of studying in Bellerbys for me is that teachers show favouritism when they claim that they treat everyone equally. This is a common problem involved in Brighton's science department. Sometimes this motivates me to study harder so I can be like those people they really like, but most of the time it emotionally wrecks you. And schedules are not designed greatly, sometimes you have 4 hours break which will make you feel sleepy during afternoon / pre-evening classes. Securities and staffs are annoying, but in terms of quality in learning, the science department is the best opportunity you can get.

Wish you the best, and I hope you can achieve your dreams! Just hit me up if you want to ask further questions about Bellerbys Brighton.
Original post by freshmilk

Hey! When you said "I've been with all of the biology teachers here and there's only one of them that I personally claim to be a 'bad teacher', would the chances of her becoming my teacher increase if I transferred from the Elite Medics to the regular A Level programme (since they would probably place me in the worst class due to last-minute difficulties)? Could you please message me her name so I could request for me to not be in her class? To what extent is she a horrible teacher? How about the teachers in Chemistry and Math - are they all competent? Sorry for the myriad of questions, I'm just another nervous student who wants all the best for themselves :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending