The Student Room Group

International student applying to Bristol Uni?

I'm from South Africa and I just wrote the IEB Matric Finals in December. In SA we use percentages, not symbols, so for my final results I got 2 90's, 4 80's and a 70.

I applied to Bristol for English and Philosophy, and I recently got an email from them saying that I couldn't be accepted for English (I got 87%, but I didn't take AP English, which Bristol required). So they couldn't accept me for the English course, but they said that they were impressed by my excellent results (their words - not mine!) and wanted to consider me for an alternate course, either BA Philosophy, BA History or BA Film & Television. I chose to be considered for Film and Television, and now I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I just wanted to know, how likely do you think it is that I'll be accepted? I mean, surely they would've just flat out rejected me if they didn't potentially want me? Don't they have some kind of international student quota they need to fill?
Original post by CarlaJ
I'm from South Africa and I just wrote the IEB Matric Finals in December. In SA we use percentages, not symbols, so for my final results I got 2 90's, 4 80's and a 70.

I applied to Bristol for English and Philosophy, and I recently got an email from them saying that I couldn't be accepted for English (I got 87%, but I didn't take AP English, which Bristol required). So they couldn't accept me for the English course, but they said that they were impressed by my excellent results (their words - not mine!) and wanted to consider me for an alternate course, either BA Philosophy, BA History or BA Film & Television. I chose to be considered for Film and Television, and now I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I just wanted to know, how likely do you think it is that I'll be accepted? I mean, surely they would've just flat out rejected me if they didn't potentially want me? Don't they have some kind of international student quota they need to fill?

It sounds like they are very interested in your 'excellent' international-level fees.

I have seen a few universities try this tactic this year, including Durham. To my mind, offering completely unrelated alternatives is reprehensible.
Original post by ageshallnot
It sounds like they are very interested in your 'excellent' international-level fees.

I have seen a few universities try this tactic this year, including Durham. To my mind, offering completely unrelated alternatives is reprehensible.

I fully support that view. You are there to do what is best for you and not just to fill places unis cannot fill. it is entirely up to you but if I were in your position I would go somewhere else and do what YOU want to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending