The Student Room Group

Extra curriculars for Cambridge MML

Hi,

Next year I will hopefully be applying for Cambridge to study French (post A-Level) and Spanish (ab initio). My A Level subjects are: French, History, English Literature and Maths. What extra-curriculars could I do to have a better chance of being accepted? Unfortunately I probably will not be able to travel to either country but is there anything else which I could do? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by spurs9393
Hi,

Next year I will hopefully be applying for Cambridge to study French (post A-Level) and Spanish (ab initio). My A Level subjects are: French, History, English Literature and Maths. What extra-curriculars could I do to have a better chance of being accepted? Unfortunately I probably will not be able to travel to either country but is there anything else which I could do? Thanks

Hey! Last summer I went to a summer course in France, and then did the DELF exam. I think you should definitely take this exam, as it looks good on your resume. You can choose the level, for example I did B1. I don't know what level you are at, but since you're doing it A-level, probably B1 seems like a good choice.
I would suggest travelling if you can. Not necessarily a course (which is expensiveeeeee) but you can go in a host family for example so that you practice the language (and you can choose a nice family in a place you like so that you can also enjoy yourself)!
Have a look at this website, maybe you can find a family that will host you:
http://www.workaway.info/

You have to work for a few hours each day, but its in French, and you can take lessons in your free time. And its free! You only have to pay the travelling.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by ntanationa
Hey! Last summer I went to a summer course in France, and then did the DELF exam. I think you should definitely take this exam, as it looks good on your resume. You can choose the level, for example I did B1. I don't know what level you are at, but since you're doing it A-level, probably B1 seems like a good choice.
I would suggest travelling if you can. Not necessarily a course (which is expensiveeeeee) but you can go in a host family for example so that you practice the language (and you can choose a nice family in a place you like so that you can also enjoy yourself)!
Have a look at this website, maybe you can find a family that will host you:
http://www.workaway.info/

You have to work for a few hours each day, but its in French, and you can take lessons in your free time. And its free! You only have to pay the travelling.

Good luck!

Thanks! Is there anywhere in London where you think I might be able to get work experience which allows me to speak French/show an interest in languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! Is there anywhere in London where you think I might be able to get work experience which allows me to speak French/show an interest in languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, yes! I think you should try contacting Alliance Francaise:

http://www.alliancefrancaise.london/
Reply 5
Original post by ntanationa
Actually, yes! I think you should try contacting Alliance Francaise:

http://www.alliancefrancaise.london/

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Hi, these very similar subjects to mine! I am also strongly considering applying for MML (French and ab initio Spanish) at Cambridge. Do you mind me asking how the application process was and whether you got an offer?
Original post by whattimeisit
Hi, these very similar subjects to mine! I am also strongly considering applying for MML (French and ab initio Spanish) at Cambridge. Do you mind me asking how the application process was and whether you got an offer?

This thread is over a year old and the OP hasn't been online for a few months. I suggest you look in the University of Cambridge forum to find active users who study MML.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending