The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
It's in the Russel Group which is a union of 'decent' unis so that's a plus. The best way to get a non-biased account is look at the league tables, either for your subject, or overall, which Leeds tends to do pretty well in (top 25 or so).
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
It depends what department you're looking at a lot of the time. They're pretty high up for some.
Reply 3
Oh, and we're also soon to be part of the Northern Ivy League. :yy:
I think Leeds is a very reputable university. Sure, its no Oxbridge but you're never going to look down on someone who graduated from Leeds (unless you're a snob anyway :biggrin:). I suppose the way I'm thinking of it is there are so much worse unis out there. Like someone above me said, its consistently in the top 30 and a lot of the subjects are in the top 20, and even top 10.

Whenever I tell people that I have a place at Leeds they're always very impressed. Its a big name, and its been around for over 100 years. Plus it has a great reputation as the 'party uni', which personally I love but that obviously depends on the person.

As for your question - I'd put it in the same league as Birmingham, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester, Nottingham (ect) in terms of how prestigious.
Reply 5
After applying to university twice and now being in my second year I really dislike this kind of 'snobbery'. University should be a place that feels right for you, that provides decent teaching in a good environment, you could apply to a 'well regarded' university and have a completely s**t time because it's not right for you. I just wish people would consider their *real* needs at an institution, not what other people will think of them for going there.
I applied to all the top names the first time round, oxford, york, sheffield, warwick etc and out of those chose sheffield at the time because it was the one that struck me as the right place, not because it was the best. And I do think they were asking for the lowest grades too. I chose the lowest grade offer place when I applied the second time because I fell in love with Leeds, sod the higher regarded (for my course) lancaster and sheffield (that time round) Leeds was friendly, inviting and overall the right place for me.
I wish schools would encourage a less blinkered view of university education, it churns out some right rubbish. (I'm not picking on you original poster, sorry if it feels like it, this thread is much less stuck up than others i've seen on here)
ehh anyway get back to it
My ex bf who goes to Durham looks down on me for being at Leeds but they're all c.unts there anyway. So unless you want to be one, don't go there and come to the grounded and very well respected Leeds instead :smile:
Reply 7
It's top 5 for my subject so can't be too bad.
Reply 8
It's 6th for English too!
Reply 9
Guardian rank: 17

Times Rank: 34

I am thinking of applying there myself.

Latest