The Student Room Group

Unit 4: Implications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t_b_x
unit 4 mark scheme for part a of the paper:

high level 5: 29-30 marks
critical analysis of the key issues in the passage; focused on a coherent discussion of the argument/interpretation;explained cogently by applying ideas from other areas of the course of study; showing considerable breadth and/or depth of understanding; a clear and comprehensive response to the task; expressed succinctly with skillful use of technical language.

That's why i mentioned bits and bobs from the whole article, because the high level 5 category describes applying ideas from other areas of the course of study. I applied so many things from the whole article to the passage. Therefore, i think i've done okay, hopefully!

thank god atleast im not the only person who mentioned the whole article as well as the passage!! I was worried that i did bad because i didnt mention just the passage throughout!! But like u even i linked it back to the passage! I hope i get high level 4 atleast!! That mark scheme is promising though so im sure we did well!
Reply 121
Original post by ihateclowns
thank god atleast im not the only person who mentioned the whole article as well as the passage!! I was worried that i did bad because i didnt mention just the passage throughout!! But like u even i linked it back to the passage! I hope i get high level 4 atleast!! That mark scheme is promising though so im sure we did well!

It MUST be promising because my teacher even taught me to do it the way I did in the exam! I can't see the examiners discrediting us in any way shape or form just because we didn't focus ONLY on the given passage, rather, we used the passage to link it to other aspects of Jamieson's whole article. Nevertheless, I hope the grade boundaries are lower this year than last year because Jamieson is harder than Lafollette.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T_B_X
Unit 4 mark scheme for part A of the paper:

High Level 5: 29-30 marks
Critical analysis of the key issues in the passage; focused on a coherent discussion of the argument/interpretation;explained cogently by applying ideas from other areas of the course of study; showing considerable breadth and/or depth of understanding; a clear and comprehensive response to the task; expressed succinctly with skillful use of technical language.

That's why I mentioned bits and bobs from the whole article, because the high level 5 category describes applying ideas from other areas of the course of study. I applied so many things from the whole article to the passage. Therefore, I think I've done okay, hopefully!

I'm really panicking now. I need an A across the RS unit and I don't think I did too well on the unit3 because I ran out of time. For the unit 4 paper I wrote about dominant conception, anti theorists and linked it to intuitionism + emotivism because anti-theorists thought that the first response to an ethical dilemma was a personal one. I also wrote some rubbish about naturalistic fallacy, G.E Moore's Principa Ethica and can't remember what else. Ahhh
I'm doing AS RS and A2 RS in one year so I don't know what grade I'll end up getting. I know I did OK on the AS units though
I basically followed that essay that you used, but didn't write about role of examples, coherentism or foundationalism :frown:
Reply 124
Original post by Chocolate1995
I basically followed that essay that you used, but didn't write about role of examples, coherentism or foundationalism :frown:

That's great, you can still get high marks with what you wrote! I followed the structure from that website/blog, but in addition I also followed what the examiner suggests us to mention for high marks for part A:

AO1 features of good quality;
Evidence of excellent work with confident understanding.
Examination of the passage in breadth and detail.
Specific ideas/points of view raised by Jamieson being addressed. For example, some candidates focused on key areas such as the notion of 'moral theorising'. In examining such topics it was good to see candidates using a range of scholars being drawn into the debate, such as Anscombe, MacIntyre, Williams and Ross.
Candidates showed good knowledge of coherentism and foundationalism in relation to their examination of the passage.
Some candidates explored the ideas of ostensive, hypothetical and imaginary examples to good effect, drawing out the significance of the passage.
Relevant links were made with other sources in the anthology: Schneewind and LaFollette.
Creative use of material from other units including ethical theories in 6RS01 and 6RS03. In particular, candidates made very good use of Virtue Ethics. Strong responses were explicit in showing why the selected theories connected to the passage about moral theorising.
Using the extract as a springboard to showcase their wider knowledge. These candidates wrote fluently about a wide range of scholarship both within the wider Jamieson text and beyond it.
Clarity in the conclusion that cohered with the rest of the answer.

In addition to all that, my teacher taught my class to apply role of examples to the passage for extra marks.

I basically covered ALL the points above from the examiner's report except for a conclusion; I probably won't get the full 30 marks, but I hope to get atleast 27 marks or so. However I added a conclusion for part B which sums up what I wrote for part A and B.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 125
I'm really panicking now. I need an A across the RS unit and I don't think I did too well on the unit3 because I ran out of time. For the unit 4 paper I wrote about dominant conception, anti theorists and linked it to intuitionism + emotivism because anti-theorists thought that the first response to an ethical dilemma was a personal one. I also wrote some rubbish about naturalistic fallacy, G.E Moore's Principa Ethica and can't remember what else. Ahhh
I'm doing AS RS and A2 RS in one year so I don't know what grade I'll end up getting. I know I did OK on the AS units though

Stop panicking. If you followed that website's structure then I'm sure you've banked atleast 20/30 marks for part A which is amazing. I wrote about the dominant conception and anti-theorists too because that's what the passage was mainly going on about, but then again like I said I linked it to other bits from the overall article. I wrote extra stuff such as AJ Ayer too and related it back to the passage.

To be honest, it seems like you're going to do well so don't worry about how you've done!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 126
A01; Level 5: 25-30 marks descriptor
At this level, candidates are likely to demonstrate a thorough grasp of the extract, either within the context of the wider passage from which it is drawn or as a stand alone passage, such as:
candidates may consider whether this everyday moral theorizing has any real value and whether ‘everyone from bartenders to politicians’ realise that they are engaged in moral theorizing
they may make some link with other anthology passages, notably Lafollette’s discussion of whether morality should be partial or impartial
candidates may develop the particular examples given by Jamieson, for example, the ‘appeal to possible outcomes’ by linking them with specified moral theories
some link may be made to Jamieson’s later observations about foundationalism and coherentism

^^From reading this descriptor I believe that even if someone didn't relate much of their answer to the passage, they would still quality for this mark band. It's the same for someone who has just focused on the given passage itself, they would equally qualify. But it all comes down to the quality of the answer written.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T_B_X
At this level, candidates are likely to demonstrate a thorough grasp of the extract, either within the context of the wider passage from which it is drawn or as a stand alone passage, such as:
candidates may consider whether this everyday moral theorizing has any real value and whether ‘everyone from bartenders to politicians’ realise that they are engaged in moral theorizing
they may make some link with other anthology passages, notably Lafollette’s discussion of whether morality should be partial or impartial
candidates may develop the particular examples given by Jamieson, for example, the ‘appeal to possible outcomes’ by linking them with specified moral theories
some link may be made to Jamieson’s later observations about foundationalism and coherentism

^^From reading this descriptor I believe that even if someone didn't relate much of their answer to the passage, they would still quality for this mark band. It's the same for someone who has just focused on the given passage itself, they would equally qualify. But it all comes down to the quality of the answer written.

Thank you, least there's some hope. I was stressing like crazy
Original post by T_B_X

Hope you achieve the grade you're looking for, thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 129
Hope you achieve the grade you're looking for, thank you for your help :smile:

Likewise, and no problem.
Reply 130
Glad that jamieson came up but I was really stressed out that there was so much more I could have wrote about that I knew but there wasn't enough time so I wrote about the dominant conception, John Rawls, utilitarianism, moral theorising how we all do it eg general election, conversational niche ect, natural law and I also made a link to the scheewind txt and the lafolette txt. So my part 1 was around 6 pages but then I panicked and did around 3 detailed points which came to 2 pages for my part 2 which has stressed me out a bit because I'm thinking will they be like hmm it's not balanced or there's not enough there?!? I could have wrote so much more though but i think 1hour and a half would be much better! I needed an A overall and last year I was a few marks off an A but my unit 3 one I didn't finish as i ran out of time on the part 2 for my final essay and then this time I was annoyed because I had a lot lot more to say but i dunno how to feel though, I think i have kept my B but I did want an A :/ but as I think the 2 edexcel papers this year have been challenging hopefully lower grade boundaries, fingers crossed. For unit 3 is say it should just be 2 hours as opposed to 1:45 and for unit 4 definitely 1:30!!!
I know results day was a long time ago, I'm hoping everyone got good grades and is going to uni. I got an A btw & good luck with everything guys 😃
Reply 132
Original post by soton_6
I know results day was a long time ago, I'm hoping everyone got good grades and is going to uni. I got an A btw & good luck with everything guys 😃

I got a B in this exam but an A overall 😋 good luck to you all guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending