The Student Room Group

Philosophy or HSPS at Cambridge?

Hey there,

I'm really torn as to whether to apply for Philosophy or HSPS at Cambridge next year, I love both Philosophy and Politics and am applying for Philosophy and Politics everywhere else (Edinburgh, Manchester, Exeter and York, I think). My main interest is Political Philosophy and thought, which I think is included to an extent on both courses, but obviously HSPS is a far broader course so I'm doubtful as to how far one would be able to delve into it. The broadness of the course appeals to me greatly, and I would love to study sociology which is something that I'm really interested in independently anyway. I'm just not sure whether it is worth giving up Philosophy for the broader range HSPS can offer, or visa versa. Can anyone with experience of either course help me out a bit? I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Thanks
With the caveat that I am only the dad of a Cam hsps student, I may have some relevant advice.

There is, I believe, a crucial difference btn philosophy and hsps polisci. If you take the latter course, you will probably be required to study lots of social science methodology, e.g. game theory, applied maths, microeconomics, and the like. If you want that, fine, but if you want to do philosophy, you may feel frustrated. I think you should go for the one that you are most passionate about. Once on a course, your time is extremely tight and concentrated, so my d cannot, for example, widen her focus to areas relevant to her discipline but not directly related. This should, of course, be confirmed by those actually in the courses as this is my perception and may be somewhat inaccurate.

You might want to consider PPE at Oxford, it may allow you to straddle disciplines better. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by alcibiade
With the caveat that I am only the dad of a Cam hsps student, I may have some relevant advice.

There is, I believe, a crucial difference btn philosophy and hsps polisci. If you take the latter course, you will probably be required to study lots of social science methodology, e.g. game theory, applied maths, microeconomics, and the like. If you want that, fine, but if you want to do philosophy, you may feel frustrated. I think you should go for the one that you are most passionate about. Once on a course, your time is extremely tight and concentrated, so my d cannot, for example, widen her focus to areas relevant to her discipline but not directly related. This should, of course, be confirmed by those actually in the courses as this is my perception and may be somewhat inaccurate.

You might want to consider PPE at Oxford, it may allow you to straddle disciplines better. Good luck.

Ironically PPE is what my Dad did at Oxford, sadly I don't have a maths AS so I can't do it, I'm equally passionate about both which is where the problem lies, But thank you for your reply, I'll definitely think about it :smile:
I do MML so can't offer course specific advice, but do look at the available modules on each course, and whether each course allows you to borrow papers from other courses - this could be a potential compromise. Do pick the one you're going to have the greatest sustained interest in though - Cambridge is intense of course, and you don't want to be stuck in that environment and hating it because of loss of interest.
Reply 4
Maybe start on HSPS and then consider a switch to Philosophy after the 1st year if you aren't enjoying it? Or vice-versa...

It's possible to change Tripos, if your Tutor/DoS agrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending