The Student Room Group

Law degree part time. Mature student.

Hi there,

I am new to this site but I was informed that this is a great place to gain additional information about applications to University, in particular the Mature student route. I have already left a thread within the mature student section, but I was advised to re post the thread here. So I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself here.

I will give you a brief description as to what I am doing and my reasons why;

I am twenty one years old, and like many others out there, I failed sixth form, but passed all of my GCSE's with a mixture of C's, B's and A's. I am now looking to attend University as a mature student because I want better career prospects and because it is a personal ambition of mine.

I have taken up the responsibility to re take my A Level's whilst working full time on the railway. Which believe me isn't easy due to the intense shift work.*

I left sixth form with a DEE, and I am now on target to achieve ABB, but hopefully AAB. I have been lucky enough to re sit my exams at my old sixth form school, and in my free time I revise and pay for tutors to help me with the academic studies. So, if you like, you could say I am schooled from home.

My A level's are as followed;

English Literature & Language combined (AQA) - target grade of B
History (AQA) - target grade of B
Computing (WJEC) - target grade of A

I have chosen to re take my A levels only because I wanted to achieve what I was predicted at school. So it is a personal ambition of mine.

I'm interested in... I am interested in studying law as a mature student. I currently work full time, and I will soon be granted part time hours in preparation for my final exams and commitments to University if I am successful. Oh, and trying to apply for part time hours on the railway is difficult, as my hours can only be changed in accordance to the train timetable (summer or winter).

I like about 30 miles away from Worcester and I would like to attend a University within a commutable distance. Thus, I have re searched a lot of Universities within my area, including Birmingham, Coventry, Worcester and Warwick. Or a university that offers a part time course so that I can still work and provide for my family.

I have contacted each one, and done a lot of research around law and I have even gone out of my way to acquire work experience within a law firm during my summer holiday leave.

However, when I contacted Coventry I was informed that it isn't an accredited degree that they offer. I understand that a career in law is extremely competitive, and that an accredited degree from a well established University will put in a strong position when it comes to employment. My heart is set on Warwick, so if anyone out there knows what they look for and how lenient they are towards mature applications this would greatly be appreciated. Furthermore, I was also informed by Birmingham and Warwick university that my academic qualifications would be assessed as if I am a full time student? I find this odd and somewhat unfair because I will have skills and experiences that a traditional school-leaver may not have?

I have put a lot of effort into trying to study law as a Mature student on a part time basis. Even taking a pay cut by half to accommodate this and selling my car. I have prepared my personal statement along with three academic references and two work references.

How much emphasis is put on the mature student and their experiences and skills that hey have acquired since leaving school?

As you can tell, I have put a lot of time and effort into my preparation to attend university. I haven't even been on a night out at all this year, as my weekends and any free time are spent studying. Surely this would count towards something? I don't want to work my ass off to then be told I don't have the right academic criteria, which is what I feel at the moment.

I am a realist, so please feedback anything that comes to mind.

Thanks,

Jake.
Reply 1
Also, perhaps I shouldn't of put how "lenient" universities are. Rather, how flexible are they?

I have also gone out my way to acquire work experience in the past, and I am awaiting a response for some more this summer.*

My job role isn't legal based, however, my employer have a prosecution department which deals with fines and fare evaders. And I have also shadowed them for a week. In addition, there are Revenue Protection Inspector roles within my company which work alongside the prosecution team and they're the ones who actually fine them. For instance, making sure that each customer buys a ticket and enforcing railway bye laws. So the railway does have a legal sector in that sense.

Also, I have had support from my union and the company I work for by which they have offered to put me on paid courses that are relevant to my degree. Nothing fancy, but something worth noting.

Would the above justify a strong interest to the Universities listed? As I was told that by Warwick University that an example mature student is someone who is currently employed within the legal sector or has taken steps in attempting to achieve this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending