The Student Room Group

Chemistry- help?

Hey everyone,
I wanted to know if the questions in the OCR book for chemistry help in terms answering exam questions? Are the questions similar to exam questions or do they help to solidify your understanding? If someone did these questions yet did not do any past papers- would they lack or still be ok?
Original post by Cherry82
Hey everyone,
I wanted to know if the questions in the OCR book for chemistry help in terms answering exam questions? Are the questions similar to exam questions or do they help to solidify your understanding? If someone did these questions yet did not do any past papers- would they lack or still be ok?

Oh lol its you again.

Umm do the questions from the book using the book if you dont know **** then do papers.

I did them after i learnt each unit then did past papers so yes they did help me alot. But if you dont have tooo much time do past papers.
Reply 2
Original post by ThatGuyRik
Oh lol its you again.

Umm do the questions from the book using the book if you dont know **** then do papers.

I did them after i learnt each unit then did past papers so yes they did help me alot. But if you dont have tooo much time do past papers.

Lol, thanks- yea I have no time. The night before my exam- I'm planning to do past papers but I hope this isn't a bad idea. At least five/six.
Reply 3
Oh lol its you again.

By the way, are there certain chemical equations or formulas we need to learn? Like H2SO4? There's so much I don't know which equations or formulas I am supposed to know off by heart. Unless it can be worked out using a periodic table?
From your last comment- haha I did have a year but I didn't understand too many things. I told the teacher but apparently I slowed the class down so kept quiet when I didn't understand. I didn't in my own time do research, instead I gave up too quickly. So for Chemistry and Physics- I'm basically learning everything from scratch.
Lol, thanks- yea I have no time. The night before my exam- I'm planning to do past papers but I hope this isn't a bad idea. At least five/six.

Why would you wait till the night before your exams?

Why not now... you have a month till the exam.

Dont do them the night before your exam you wont learn anything trust me i know. This isn't GCSE LOLOLOL.

By the way, are there certain chemical equations or formulas we need to learn? Like H2SO4? There's so much I don't know which equations or formulas I am supposed to know off by heart. Unless it can be worked out using a periodic table?
From your last comment- haha I did have a year but I didn't understand too many things. I told the teacher but apparently I slowed the class down so kept quiet when I didn't understand. I didn't in my own time do research, instead I gave up too quickly. So for Chemistry and Physics- I'm basically learning everything from scratch.

Sorry i wont be much help i cant remember what you need to know exactly cause im not doing AS again.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3255869
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3041829
Ask on the above threads, someone will probably answer all your questions.
Okay well for Physics your screwed. Simple. I hate that subject even though im going to do Chem eng and took it for A-Level.
Reply 6
Original post by xoflower
Why would you wait till the night before your exams?

Why not now... you have a month till the exam.

Lol- because I still have a whole load of content to learn. I don't want to focus on exam papers and I enter the exam knowing there's a lot I don't know and something unexpected shows up.
Reply 7
Dont do them the night before your exam you wont learn anything trust me i know. This isn't GCSE LOLOLOL.

Sorry i wont be much help i cant remember what you need to know exactly cause im not doing AS again.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3255869
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3041829
Ask on the above threads, someone will probably answer all your questions.
Okay well for Physics your screwed. Simple. I hate that subject even though im going to do Chem eng and took it for A-Level.

Lol screwed for AS physics? Is it that hard? I know relatively small things but I find it easier to connect to as it's something you can relate to in real life- you can make connections and you have visuals of things. I don't know, I did bad in my practicals too :frown: Chemistry- failed one, Physics- failed one. This was early on in the year but the ones I did recently- I got full marks. My school didn't give us the options of re-takes early on in the year. They left everything to the last minute- we're still learning a whole load of content.
Lol screwed for AS physics? Is it that hard? I know relatively small things but I find it easier to connect to as it's something you can relate to in real life- you can make connections and you have visuals of things. I don't know, I did bad in my practicals too :frown: Chemistry- failed one, Physics- failed one. This was early on in the year but the ones I did recently- I got full marks. My school didn't give us the options of re-takes early on in the year. They left everything to the last minute- we're still learning a whole load of content.

IDk i hate physics so cant advice you there. Im kidding i dont know if your screwed lol. You have nothing going in your favor sadly.
Lol- because I still have a whole load of content to learn. I don't want to focus on exam papers and I enter the exam knowing there's a lot I don't know and something unexpected shows up.

No. lol Seriously do some exam papers. You will gain knowledge from doing them. There are certain ways that they want you to answer questions.

Also, you could complete the content in 2 weeks. Do you know the basics? What do you struggle with?
Reply 10
No. lol Seriously do some exam papers. You will gain knowledge from doing them. There are certain ways that they want you to answer questions.

Also, you could complete the content in 2 weeks. Do you know the basics? What do you struggle with?

Ok, haha. Yea, you could say that. But every time I did past papers I would receive U's. And I would study. It was so frustrating, not going to lie I'm terrified.
Ok, haha. Yea, you could say that. But every time I did past papers I would receive U's. And I would study. It was so frustrating, not going to lie I'm terrified.

Why do you get U's? Is it just exam technique

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Why do you get U's? Is it just exam technique

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know to be frank. I know in my chemistry practical, I had a panic attack and messed up my paper. It was my first ever practical and this was in December. I wish I had time to practice doing them. With exams, I realised I have been studying things away from the specification. An example is, I may watch a video on enthalpy but then see a youtube video on more things relating to enthalpy that I will not be tested on but that's interesting, wasting time. I think it's me saying relevant to the specification and not being afraid of answering questions. I find them so intimidating.
I don't know to be frank. I know in my chemistry practical, I had a panic attack and messed up my paper. It was my first ever practical and this was in December. I wish I had time to practice doing them. With exams, I realised I have been studying things away from the specification. An example is, I may watch a video on enthalpy but then see a youtube video on more things relating to enthalpy that I will not be tested on but that's interesting, wasting time. I think it's me saying relevant to the specification and not being afraid of answering questions. I find them so intimidating.

Maybe get help with the anxiety

Also, machemguy does videos for ocr chemistry.

What did you get in your mocks?
Reply 14
Maybe get help with the anxiety

Also, machemguy does videos for ocr chemistry.

What did you get in your mocks?

Yea, I need to. I haven't told my school about it mainly because in my previous school when I did, they often would take away certain responsibilities because they thought I couldn't handle it. Thanks, I'll check him out. I was going to say this though, I have the specification with me and there are parts in the book that are not on the specification. Do I write those things down or ignore them? I don't have time to cover the whole book so I'm wondering whether I should just follow the points of the specification and find them in the book.
Yea, I need to. I haven't told my school about it mainly because in my previous school when I did, they often would take away certain responsibilities because they thought I couldn't handle it. Thanks, I'll check him out. I was going to say this though, I have the specification with me and there are parts in the book that are not on the specification. Do I write those things down or ignore them? I don't have time to cover the whole book so I'm wondering whether I should just follow the points of the specification and find them in the book.

Ah okay

and yeah just follow whats in the specification but make sure you understand concepts and read over the parts in the book that are not in the spec, those bits are to help with understanding.
Reply 16
Ah okay

and yeah just follow whats in the specification but make sure you understand concepts and read over the parts in the book that are not in the spec, those bits are to help with understanding.

Ok, thanks. A whole unit- water of crystallisation isn't really there so I'm having doubts.

Quick Reply

Latest