The Student Room Group

Article: Getting a job at 16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cari98
I've been actively looking for a part time job for months and months (applying online, handing in CV's etc) My best friend said she 'didn't need the money' and stayed in and sat on her bum all day, and all of a sudden her uncle's given her a job that'll see her rack up £800 by the end of summer!

I don't have any contacts like that so I just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way, and it really sucks.

That sucks 🙁
If you don’t have many connections of your own, you could try see what sort of connections your friends have and see if you can try and use them. For example, I had to find work experience for school and I used my friends aunt to help me find some in the area I was looking at.
Good luck though
Original post by chloegreen01
I feel like employers are declining me because i've achieved high grades in my GCSEs, i've applied for over 20 jobs in retail and everywhere has declined me :frown: i applied for a job in primark as a last resort knowing they are hiring anybody for the christmas period and i have a few friends working there yet i get declined again? can my grades be a put off? thanks in advance to anybody who might be able to help me

If you’re emailing in your CV and applications, it might be a good idea to try and go in and apply in person as they are more likely to take notice of you, I did this and got my job fairly soon afterwards.
Good luck and I hope you find one
Its a good idea to start studiyng something, an instrument, get qualifications and then you can start teaching at music schools, £10 an hour minimum at 16. That's what I did anyway without family connections.
Original post by OCR land
Its a good idea to start studiyng something, an instrument, get qualifications and then you can start teaching at music schools, £10 an hour minimum at 16. That's what I did anyway without family connections.

What qualifications had you got when you applied? Would a grade 6 in music be enough to start or is it not enough?
this is so hardd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending