The Student Room Group

Got made redundant 4months ago and still unemployed, is that bad?

I have been unemployed since June due to redundancy from a business analyst role that I was in for 5 years. I took a short holiday after that, I have been applying to some jobs after that and have had a few interviews but with no luck. Last week I had an interview for an secondment applications engineer role 16 month contract.

The manager for the role got back in touch with me a few days after and said that I don't really have the exact skills to get me up and running syraughtaway for this role as it covers a wide range of services, however she told me about an upcoming role in the same team which she feels my skills are more aligned with. Its a similar role but it is a longer contract so there is more time to learn on the job and it covers less wide projects.

She told me that I will need to go through the application and interview process again, but is willing to speak to me about the role this week if I have any questions. The talent acquisition advisor emailed me the link to the role this morning and he said 'we have to be fair and advertise this to everyone, but we would really like you to apply for this role' so I have applied for it.

I'm hoping I can get this job as I don't want to have to much of a gap of unemployment, is it bad that I already have 4 months of it?
Original post by Fazersa
I have been unemployed since June due to redundancy from a business analyst role that I was in for 5 years. I took a short holiday after that, I have been applying to some jobs after that and have had a few interviews but with no luck. Last week I had an interview for an secondment applications engineer role 16 month contract.

The manager for the role got back in touch with me a few days after and said that I don't really have the exact skills to get me up and running syraughtaway for this role as it covers a wide range of services, however she told me about an upcoming role in the same team which she feels my skills are more aligned with. Its a similar role but it is a longer contract so there is more time to learn on the job and it covers less wide projects.

She told me that I will need to go through the application and interview process again, but is willing to speak to me about the role this week if I have any questions. The talent acquisition advisor emailed me the link to the role this morning and he said 'we have to be fair and advertise this to everyone, but we would really like you to apply for this role' so I have applied for it.

I'm hoping I can get this job as I don't want to have to much of a gap of unemployment, is it bad that I already have 4 months of it?

In the current market, the gap isn't a problem. This sounds like a really good opportunity though, so take it seriously. Employers don't advise people to apply for upcoming roles unless they think you have a really competitive chance. Good luck!
Original post by threeportdrift
In the current market, the gap isn't a problem. This sounds like a really good opportunity though, so take it seriously. Employers don't advise people to apply for upcoming roles unless they think you have a really competitive chance. Good luck!

Exactly.
I wouldn't say a 4 month gap is bad! Especially after you've been made redundant from a job you had for years. These were unfortunately the cards you were dealt and no employer would or should hold that against you. I'd just make sure to look really enthusiastic about the role and say you've been keeping up-to-date with recent events in the industry etc. quote a few projects and news stories. It sounds like a really good sign they've reached out and asked you to apply to the role directly.

Good luck!

Sophie - @askcareercurator - Instagram
Reply 4
Original post by Fazersa

Hi - What are your thoughts on Unemployment - would you be willing to talk to a media representative about this for an article? If so then do reply and we can get in touch!
Reply 5
Original post by Fazersa

Any updates? Did you manage to get that role in the end?
Reply 6
Original post by 0le
Any updates? Did you manage to get that role in the end?

Hi, yes I did end up getting the job thanks for asking. Currently going through the vetting process and have been told this may take up to 7 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending