The Student Room Group

Placement refusing to give reference... my options?

I've had a bit of a tricky year and have only just got round to completing my UCAS application for a PGCE. Everything was ready, I was just waiting on hearing back from a possible reference. I did 2 weeks of voluntary work within a primary school back in November 2014 and was hoping to use that school as a reference. After a few emails and ringing up the school, I managed to get in touch with the class teacher who has just emailed me to say that he doesn't feel it is right to provide me a reference as he didn't get to know me for long enough (!) I understand it has been a few months since I was there but I was really relying on that reference.

I feel physically sick and really don't know what to do now. I haven't really got time to arrange any more experience as time is really ticking to get my application sent off. Any suggestions anyone?!
Original post by kizzz!
I've had a bit of a tricky year and have only just got round to completing my UCAS application for a PGCE. Everything was ready, I was just waiting on hearing back from a possible reference. I did 2 weeks of voluntary work within a primary school back in November 2014 and was hoping to use that school as a reference. After a few emails and ringing up the school, I managed to get in touch with the class teacher who has just emailed me to say that he doesn't feel it is right to provide me a reference as he didn't get to know me for long enough (!) I understand it has been a few months since I was there but I was really relying on that reference.

I feel physically sick and really don't know what to do now. I haven't really got time to arrange any more experience as time is really ticking to get my application sent off. Any suggestions anyone?!

Do you have a job? I didn't use a school for my reference because even though I had done voluntary work for a year the HOD was useless and messing me around. I used my boss instead as I had worked for him for 5 years and I felt he knew me better anyway. I still got interviews at all 3 places I applied so it can't have made a huge difference. If you feel you need to then call admissions at the uni you want and explain why you are using someone else other than the school you worked in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggest you get in touch with the providers to see whether the reference from school is really required. I used my academic tutor and my boss (non-education) for UCAS, didn't use the school I volunteered in as the deputy who arranged this has been on maternity and the headteacher does not know me very well. I can understand 2 weeks is probably to short for them to know you enough to do your UCAS reference, but the school should be able to give you something else to verify your experience with them (some providers have their own school experience forms anyway).

All the best!
Reply 3
Surely all they legally have to say in the reference is that you did indeed work there and provide a description of what you did? It's not an American "recommendation letter" (i.e. a gushing endorsement!). I would press the school for that at least. It hasn't been *that* long since you were there.
Original post by kizzz!

First reference - academic if you graduated within the past 5 years.

Second reference - your employer.

Problem solved.
Reply 5
Original post by Angelil
Surely all they legally have to say in the reference is that you did indeed work there and provide a description of what you did? It's not an American "recommendation letter" (i.e. a gushing endorsement!). I would press the school for that at least. It hasn't been *that* long since you were there.

I don't know whether I should send another email to the teacher and just explain my situation a little bit more. But the way it was worded seemed kind of final and ended with 'best of luck'. I'm at the point where I wouldn't even mind if it was a really crappy and basic reference, just so that I can submit my application!
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
First reference - academic if you graduated within the past 5 years.

Second reference - your employer.

Problem solved.

Not really, been unemployed due to a death in the family and so took some time out and went abroad for a while. Been doing agency supply work since. Haven't been anywhere long enough for them to give me a decent reference.
Reply 7
Even the headteacher could write it if you didn't want to push the teacher further...as mentioned, it can be purely fact-based.
Original post by kizzz!
Not really, been unemployed due to a death in the family and so took some time out and went abroad for a while. Been doing agency supply work since. Haven't been anywhere long enough for them to give me a decent reference.

So you do have an academic first reference? Ask someone who has known you for some time but is not a family member to provide the second reference.
I used an old employer who I worked for for 3 years because they knew me really well. I stopped working for them in 2011 and used them in my application in 2013.
Reply 10
I've been in exactly the same position-

I asked for the Head of Department 2 weeks ago to provide a reference for myself and, after a number of brief discussions with them to obtain a progress update, I haven't had any luck- I sent an email of thanks at the beginning of this week, and also briefly asked about how he was doing with getting the reference together, and his reply was "Thanks for your help also, good luck for the future".

I finally bit the bullet this morning, and asked my employer to provide a reference. Needless to say, in the few hours since, I now have a fantastic reference from my employer, and my application has finally been submitted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending