The Student Room Group

Music streaming service Grooveshark has been shut down

A great free music streaming site... I always wondered how they managed to stay up this long. :beard: Turns out they were being very illegal. :frown:

"The record labels also allege that after processing DMCA takedown requests, Grooveshark employees would re-upload the tracks immediately."

RIP Grooveshark
:rip:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:frown:

At-least there is still Spotify :smile:
Spotify ftw
Original post by ThatGuyRik
:frown:

At-least there is still Spotify :smile:

It's just not the same :cry:
bear™ used Pandora a while ago but now...

http://www.pandora.com/restricted
Reply 5
Or just grow up and realise you don't get anything for free?

If you want to listen to music, pay for it. Either through buying it or through listening to something which is paying for it by having commercials.
Original post by the bear

Yeah, Pandora was pretty good :beard:

Original post by Drewski

You're right of course - I didn't use Grooveshark exclusively. It was just good for parties and things like that.
Still got soundcloud.
using grooveshark past 2002...............lol why?

EDIT WRONG MUSIC SERVICE...............was thinking of napster
(edited 8 years ago)
Kickasstorrents?

I suggest bear™ uses a VPN and then tries to access Pandora?
Original post by Drewski

If you want to listen to music, pay for it. Either through buying it or through listening to something which is paying for it by having commercials.

This. I find it surreal that people think there has been a great injustice done to them when they're prevented from getting entertainment for free.
Original post by AdamCee
I suggest bear™ uses a VPN and then tries to access Pandora?

sounds a bit dodge :s-smilie:
MP3 Skull :wink:
This might have made a difference in 2008 when people actually used it. Why do they always shut these things down years after they become irrelevant? They think it's showing some kind of statement when in reality it's just confirming how out of touch they are.
sounds a bit dodge :s-smilie:

Pandora is really good.

And I'm in the UK. :wink:
Reply 16
Intellectual property needs a serious review. At the moment it favours corporations, not artists or society.
Original post by miser
Intellectual property needs a serious review. At the moment it favours corporations, not artists or society.

It certainly does. Not just music, either - as all the issues with Valve charging for mods shows :/
Original post by Drewski

I would definitely pay for Pandora, but the network of complicated copyright laws is stopping me from doing so.
Reply 19
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
It certainly does. Not just music, either - as all the issues with Valve charging for mods shows :/

Hadn't heard about that.

To add to my first post... I can sympathise with people who say people should expect to pay for music - that's fair and right - but when people pay they want to support the artist. They don't want to fund an entire industry of record labels and middlemen that dictate terms to artists and decide who gets a shot at fame and who doesn't. Now we have the technology that means anyone can make music and can find an audience for free. We should be asking how can we support the artists, not how can we suppress these technologies that help people find and enjoy music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending