The Student Room Group

Smoking weed DOESN’T cause psychosis in teens, after all.

Bad news for drug prohibitionists a new study has thrown doubt on the idea that smoking cannabis can cause psychosis in teens.

Drug war advocates have repeatedly cited previous research which showed that teenagers who smoked were at a higher risk of psychotic episodes using it as evidence that dope is making children crazy.

The new study by University of Oxford, University of Leeds and used 4,830 16-year-old twins to rule out genetic factors and found that both cannabis use and psychotic episodes were triggered by environmental factors, including being poor, or bullying.

In other words, cannabis doesn’t cause the episodes children who are under stress for other reasons tend to smoke dope, and are also at higher risk of psychotic episodes.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/12/smoking-weed-doesnt-cause-psychosis-in-teens-after-all-5192956/#ixzz3a6Ldqkn6
It seems like the list of reasons why cannabis is bad is getting smaller everyday.
thank God the Tories have sensible anti-drug policies.
Reply 3
No they lead very successful fulfilling lives.

Reply 4
Original post by futbol
No they lead very successful fulfilling lives.

Being poor, stressed and bullied?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah, fantastic! An 'article' in the metro which does not link to a source, why that sounds reliable!

Anyway the study uses "have you ever tried cannabis" rather than considering the frequency of use, which is, arguably, more interesting. I don't think anyone would suggest that trying cannabis once would lead to psychotic experiences.
Reply 6
Original post by pjm600
I think anger directed at source-less articles is righteous anger.

Yeah maybe, it is a little frustrating isn't it, we get it every time a cannabis psychosis study is released or any study of interest, that's just how the media do things i'm afraid and very few will bother to read the study anyway. :frown:

Original post by pjm600
Y u link dailymail???? You may well be experiencing psychosis if you think that's a respectable source, I'd recommend cutting down your cannabis use.

Well of course it's not respectable, but you said no one would, the Daily Mail will. Maybe you could find the study they're referring to?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by n00
Yeah maybe, it is a little frustrating isn't it, we get it every time a cannabis psychosis study is released or any study of interest, that's just how the media do things i'm afraid and very few will bother to read the study anyway. :frown:

Indeed.

Wait what, I can't agree with you.

Original post by n00

Well of course it's not respectable, but you said no one would, the Daily Mail will. Maybe you could find the study they're referring to?

Sure, but you could probably find some idiot that agrees with anything (eg daily sport). I could, but imo it's the responsibility of the person presenting the proposition, rather than person attempting to disprove it, to show the actual source.
Reply 8
Original post by pjm600
Indeed.

Wait what, I can't agree with you.
Course you can. :hugs:

Original post by pjm600
Sure, but you could probably find some idiot that agrees with anything (eg daily sport). I could, but imo it's the responsibility of the person presenting the proposition, rather than person attempting to disprove it, to show the actual source.

I'm not too sure what you're expecting me to prove, so here, have Ben Goldacres take on it.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2007/jul/28/drugs.drugsandalcohol
All other drugs have negative impacts, so why not cannabis?

It depends on the usage i am sure. A binge cannabis smoker is going to do tremendous harm to the body and mind. Where as an occasional user might not have any serious negative side effects.
So let's throw ourselves a party and 4:20 blaze it, shall we?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending