The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard SOAS is excellent for oriental languages... but I don't know much about it. There are a few people studying Japanese in this forum - you can ask them :smile:
(you haven't done a UCAS course search?) edinbrugh, manchester, leeds, sheffield, SOAS and oxford are probably the uni's you are looking at for both Japanese and Mandarin.
The likes of Manchester, Cardiff and Leeds all do joint honours with french and german (as well as alot of other languages)
I think your probably going to be told that mandarin is more useful than japanese by most people you ask btw because it's the general perception but what exactly do you want to do after your degree? What would you be more interested in etc? Since you'll be spending time abroad which country would you rather live in? 'more valuable' is such a subjective term.
Reply 3
Obviously Cambridge/Oxford are good for it, but on a slightly lower level (but still with good reputations) are Leeds and Sheffield. Leeds offer a lot of joint honours so I'm sure you'd be able to do Japanese with a variety of other modern languages. I'm pretty certain you can also do this at Sheffield.
As to whether Mandarin would be more useful - I have to say, it's possible Mandarin would be extremely useful and probably more so than Japanese. But Japanese would certainly be an excellent language to have a degree in, so go with whichever you actually have the most interest in really. I wouldn't recommend choosing just because of job prospects, as both would be helpful, and you need to be studying something you have a keen interest in (culture, etc as well as language). Plus, I would personally say that Mandarin is more difficult to learn than Japanese!
Reply 4
(you haven't done a UCAS course search?

I'm still a year away from appyling so I'm not entierely clued up on how to do course searches etc. I'm presuming I just go on the UCAS site?

Sorry if it seemed like a bit of 'lazy' post...
lol no it's ok i was just wondering. Yeah go to the UCAS site and it's right there!
Reply 6
diamondgeezer
I wanting to study Japanese at University, could anyone tell me which supposedly good universities offer the subject.

Do you think Japanese would be more valuable than Mandarin? Also would it be possible to study Japanese with say German or French.

Cheers for any advice you can give me...

MIchael

* Mandarin is obviously ten times the power of multiple infinity plus no tattle-tale comebacks better than Japanese. A billion native speakers can't be wrong and nor can the Chinese opening up to the West a la Japan circa 1980. If you want to make more money when you leave uni its best to study Chinese, and then you could work on Japanese (which is pretty easy if you know comprehension of Chinese.) I personally want to study Korean after Japanese (but one step at a time.)

* Yes, you can study two languages at once. I don't like it personally, but the world is home to many sadomasochists who are into that kind of thing. French and Spanish I can understand but Japanese and German? Eh... Don't get that *at* all. If you are a cunning linguist with a penchant for insomnia and have a high-pain tolerance then of course, don't let me stop you.

* Leeds, Manchester, SOAS (best for Asiatic languages and culture), Sheffield, Oxbridge and Nottingham can all offer you decent Chinese/French/German degrees.

I'm not going to recommend Newcastle because that's one less piranha in the vat of acid. :biggrin:

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/search.hjx;start=search.HsKeywordSearch.run?y=2007

2008 will be available for the next academic year but it gives you an idea of what is available where and when in the UK.
Reply 7
just a thing... If you learnt chinese first japanese probably would be easy afterwards-

I dont know how much you know about japanese so I wont bore you, but japanese uses the same Kanji as chinese (i cant remember what it translates as, but i always remember my teacher mentioning it using chinese symbols i.e the kanji)

Japanese Is really fun, and complicate enough, however! After a nominative object there is a nom marker- a wa, and after a direct an o. etc etc etc. Its up to u, but just tought i would let you know!
Reply 8
Hmm, I have had a think about this and I'm wondering whether I should just stick to French and German.

But the thing is, is there still job potential with these two. As tbh loads of people speak fluent French and German?
In my personal opinion a big factor is what language(s) you have more interest in, doing something just because it's the "bigger earner" isn't actually guaranteeing you a high paying job at the end of four years and it's going to be even less fun if your having to slog through classes because you don't have that much of a passion for the subject. ^_^ lol that's just my opinion though!

If you like both areas then plenty of places do joint courses with Japanese so you could still do a European language! Yes French and German are far more popular languages for people to have but at the same time any language is a boon when it comes to the job market.

Have you thought about what type of job you are going to want and what languages are more useful there? Maybe that will help you decide!
Reply 10
Mizmoz
just a thing... If you learnt chinese first japanese probably would be easy afterwards-

I dont know how much you know about japanese so I wont bore you, but japanese uses the same Kanji as chinese (i cant remember what it translates as, but i always remember my teacher mentioning it using chinese symbols i.e the kanji)

Japanese Is really fun, and complicate enough, however! After a nominative object there is a nom marker- a wa, and after a direct an o. etc etc etc. Its up to u, but just tought i would let you know!

Some kanji are similar and have the same meanings. But their pronounciation is different. Even the Onyomi readings (the chinese reading) has changed over time. In a way Japanese has basically Old Chinese thrown in.

For example; 語 is read go in Onyomi reading but in standard Mandarin its yǔ

Fwiw, Japanese grammar is not hard. Its much easier than other languages.
gaijin

Fwiw, Japanese grammar is not hard. Its much easier than other languages.

Debatable!
And now debated:
Begginers' Japanese Grammar is easy, lack of plural, gender, regular conjugation of tenses ect, but it gets much harder after that.
The difference between 'to', 'toki', and 'tara' is certainly complecated stuff, as are the differences between '~te iru' and '~te aru'.
To me, Japanese is logical, in that if a rule says 'change ~imasu, ~rimasu and ~chimasu to ~tte', you know that's the case, and that's /always/ the case, Japanese grammar obeys its own rules.
However, I would say that the rules themselves are numerous and (eventually) difficult.

Beyond some simmilar characters, and the general proccess of learning a non-indo-european language, learning Chinese would make little difference to your study of Japanese.

I think Oxbridge are considered the 'best' for Japanese, but just a tiny notch down is SOAS and Sheffield.
I'm currently trying to decide between Oxford, Camdridge and SOAS, can anyone tell me if studying in that hidious Art Tower at Sheffield is tollerable?
I would hardly say that Japanese grammar is easy! The whole language is put together so different from English that it's got to be very difficult for an native English speaker to get their head around and there are things that exist in English but not in Japanese visa versa. Then again I really haven't studied it all that much so maybe you should research it for yourself and come to your on conclusion!
Reply 13
dominiclmorris
Debatable!
And now debated:
Begginers' Japanese Grammar is easy, lack of plural, gender, regular conjugation of tenses ect, but it gets much harder after that.
The difference between 'to', 'toki', and 'tara' is certainly complecated stuff, as are the differences between '~te iru' and '~te aru'.
To me, Japanese is logical, in that if a rule says 'change ~imasu, ~rimasu and ~chimasu to ~tte', you know that's the case, and that's /always/ the case, Japanese grammar obeys its own rules.
However, I would say that the rules themselves are numerous and (eventually) difficult.

The only difficulty I personally find is the use of keigo and when, where and how to use it. Even native Japanese speakers have to learn to use it properly, let alone non-native speakers.

If you find Japanese grammar complex, then put it alongside something like Russian or Hungarian and get back to me. I'm not saying its easy, I'm saying it falls below French and other Romantic languages but above hard Germanic and Slavic ones.

Plus let's not forget that unlike its other Asiatic brethren, there is no tone to the language, so pronounciation can be mastered more quickly than Mandarin or Thai.

Beyond some simmilar characters, and the general proccess of learning a non-indo-european language, learning Chinese would make little difference to your study of Japanese.

I would probably agree as I've said that before on this board somewhere, however I think it provides a logical step. However for me personally, I view this less as a non-academic step but more as a business step. Most companies have clients that centre around Asia and the greater flexibility you can provide the higher level of pay you'll get. One of my friends works for a company that rotates him around China and Japan, and therefore both languages are a must.

I think Oxbridge are considered the 'best' for Japanese, but just a tiny notch down is SOAS and Sheffield.
I'm currently trying to decide between Oxford, Camdridge and SOAS, can anyone tell me if studying in that hidious Art Tower at Sheffield is tollerable?

Oxbridge seems to be more weighted in the actual culture and historical side of things rather than the actual lingustical development. SOAS is probably on par with Oxbridge with the historical and cultural study however.
gaijin
* Mandarin is obviously ten times the power of multiple infinity plus no tattle-tale comebacks better than Japanese. A billion native speakers can't be wrong and nor can the Chinese opening up to the West a la Japan circa 1980. If you want to make more money when you leave uni its best to study Chinese, and then you could work on Japanese (which is pretty easy if you know comprehension of Chinese.) I personally want to study Korean after Japanese (but one step at a time.)

* Yes, you can study two languages at once. I don't like it personally, but the world is home to many sadomasochists who are into that kind of thing. French and Spanish I can understand but Japanese and German? Eh... Don't get that *at* all. If you are a cunning linguist with a penchant for insomnia and have a high-pain tolerance then of course, don't let me stop you.

* Leeds, Manchester, SOAS (best for Asiatic languages and culture), Sheffield, Oxbridge and Nottingham can all offer you decent Chinese/French/German degrees.

I'm not going to recommend Newcastle because that's one less piranha in the vat of acid. :biggrin:

http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/search.hjx;start=search.HsKeywordSearch.run?y=2007

2008 will be available for the next academic year but it gives you an idea of what is available where and when in the UK.

...what's wrong with Newcastle?

I've never been to the city, let alone the university, so have no idea.
Reply 15
I would strongly advise that you learn Japanese :biggrin: I love it to bits. It's not actually that hard in terms of grammar you just have to keep on top of it and learn one thing at a time. If you familiarise yourself with the basic grammar and sentence structures before you start I think you won't find it too overwhelming and you can ease yourself in gently :smile:
Reply 16
I'm studying Japanese at Leeds, and I absolutely love it, the staff are excellent and absolutely adorable! <3
*Best Universities have been listed above already =)

I just wanted to say that it is possible to study French/German with Japanese, and a couple of my friends do it, and they're coping. But it does depend on the level of your knowledge of French/German before you enter university, as it is a lot of hard work, especially if you haven't done Japanese before and will need to learn tons of vocab + characters and prepare for the weekly tests.

But good luck anyways :3
Reply 17
Hm, well I'm half Chinese and I study Japanese as well. And I have to say, just knowing Chinese does not make learning Japanese easier. Besides kanji being similiar, the actual grammar and structure of the two languages have developed very differently since. Hence, why Oxbridge (and I don't think SOAs do either) do not offer Chinese AND Japanese. Korean is actually closer to Japanese I think :smile:

Right now, Mandarin is probably the language of choice, having said that 10 years ago it was Japanese and 10 years from now it may well be Urdu for all we know. Plus, be aware that China is a massive country and has many different dialects and accents, so just knowing Mandarin doesn't mean you'll understand the entire populace. But frankly speaking, anyone who know English and a foriegn language Japanese OR Chinese probably has fairly good job prospects. So just pick what you enjoy and are interested in rather than what you think will do well because it's not concrete anyway.
Reply 18
Foxie
Hm, well I'm half Chinese and I study Japanese as well. And I have to say, just knowing Chinese does not make learning Japanese easier. Besides kanji being similiar, the actual grammar and structure of the two languages have developed very differently since. Hence, why Oxbridge (and I don't think SOAs do either) do not offer Chinese AND Japanese. Korean is actually closer to Japanese I think :smile:

I think many people consider it easier if you know Chinese because kanji are one of the hardest parts of learning Japanese, if only because there are so many of them and nearly all of them have multiple pronunciations and meanings. Chinese and Japanese are actually not related at all, the Japanese just nicked the characters (and pronunciations, adapted to Japanese phonology) from Chinese, so it's not surprising that they have different grammar and structure.

Plus, be aware that China is a massive country and has many different dialects and accents, so just knowing Mandarin doesn't mean you'll understand the entire populace.

The Chinese students in our class have said that everybody learns Mandarin at school, but even so, I was under the impression that people who speak different dialects of Chinese can still understand each other's written Chinese, is that not right?
Reply 19
nikki
I think many people consider it easier if you know Chinese

Of course, I think knowing a bit about the idea of kanji (the radicals, how they build up) is useful but knowing kanji itself can sometimes be disadvantageous, often I find that the Japanese nabbed the word however many hundred years ago and then proceeded misuse in the Chinese sense. That and I actually studied traditional Chinese which is annoying because Japanese tends to favour the simplified. :s-smilie:

nikki
The Chinese students in our class have said that everybody learns Mandarin at school, but even so, I was under the impression that people who speak different dialects of Chinese can still understand each other's written Chinese, is that not right?

That is true. Then again, not everyone has a pen and paper handy :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending