The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
They throw you into a giant pot and boil you alive.
Alternatively, when you get an offer, you are randomly assigned to a college which has space for your subject.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
arkbar
They throw you into a giant pot and boil you alive.
Alternatively, when you get an offer, you are randomly assigned to a college which has space for your subject.

It's not a "random" assignment as such....your application will automatically go to the college which has the least applications per place for your subject. But still, the college will have to accept you - they could still pass you around if they find they have been given a lot of Open Applications to look at (though you are guaranteed to be given an offer for SOME college as long as you've been accepted by the department!)

The colleges you're most likely (but still, you may not go to one of these) are Butler, Cuths, or Marys (in my opinion in that order also - I think Marys isn't so unpopular now that it's been mixed for 2 years)

:smile:
josephine butler has a lot of empty room last year ...
Reply 4
psycho
josephine butler has a lot of empty room last year ...

This year we've had 1000+ applicants, and AFAIK are not accepting any freshers rejected by other colleges. That said, we seem to be wanting some pointless transferees, though having said that, without them next year we'll probably have less than ten third years.
All colleges accept transferees and open applicants, even the highly oversubscribed Castle. I also know at least one person who was put into Hatfield after applying to Trevs.
Reply 6
Mattmoy_2000
All colleges accept transferees and open applicants, even the highly oversubscribed Castle. I also know at least one person who was put into Hatfield after applying to Trevs.

Wow I hope Im put into Castle. :smile: . But I think I'll count myself lucky if Im given an offer at.

Thanks for the help everyone (apart from the boiled alive in a big pot comment, was a bit worried untill I read on:rolleyes: ). Id be happy anywhere but have to admit Butlers isn't top of my list as I like the old one (so Cuths would be cool).
Why didn't you apply to Castle then!?
My friend put in an open application and was assigned to Castle..it's so unfair! My boyfriend unfortunately got assigned to St. Johns, the Christian college and isn't too happy about it. Is it really as bad as he imagines or is it actually ok? My Uni Guide slates it!
Reply 9
Mattmoy_2000
Why didn't you apply to Castle then!?

Im not good enough to go to castle:p: . But yeah it does look like the nicest college. I soppose I could have also said when I got a rejection "but I applied to castle". Why didn't I apply to Castle then!?:rolleyes:

vannilawick
My friend put in an open application and was assigned to Castle..it's so unfair! My boyfriend unfortunately got assigned to St. Johns, the Christian college and isn't too happy about it. Is it really as bad as he imagines or is it actually ok? My Uni Guide slates it!

I wouldn't be extatic with a chritian college either :frown: . Do they not ask if your christian before they put you there? :confused:
Reply 10
Johns isn't 100% Christian, I'm not entirely sure they're even a majority. There's nothing wrong with it, even if they never open their bar.
Reply 11
Given how oversubscribed Castle is, why do they get open applicants??

EDIT: John's is pretty and has a piano in its pool room :biggrin:
Jelkin
Given how oversubscribed Castle is, why do they get open applicants??

EDIT: John's is pretty and has a piano in its pool room :biggrin:

I'm thinking it might happen if they don't get enough applicants accepted for a particular subject-they might take some open applicants.
Reply 13
vanillawick

1. John's is fine.

2. The college you apply to doesn't affect how likely you are to be accepted to Durham University.
Thanks for clearing that up! Are St. Johns the people who were in black T-shirst with a superman sort of logo thing going on?! Can only vaguely remember something like that, I might juts be talking crap though!xxx
3. Open applicants are assigned a college at random. The colleges do not know whether the applicant has applied directly to them or has been randomly assigned to them. If your first choice college rejects you, you are randomly reassigned as if you were an open applicant (unless colleges specifically ask for people who are doing your subject).
4. John's isn't that Christian, just as Castle and Hatfield aren't that rah and hill colleges aren't full of chavs.
Reply 16
I made an open app, and hasn't done me any harm really, had heard that I should expect an offer/rejection in March, but got it sometime late November!

Think Becca's already said, if you chose Castle or I don't know, Butler, as your college, you would be taught by the same department, so you wouldn't get rejected by Castle, you'd get rejected by Durham's English department, for example. So hey, if you like Castle, you should apply there! I just went open because at the time I applied Durham was a gap filler, ironic how it's now my firm choice!
Reply 17
Mattmoy_2000
hill colleges aren't full of chavs.

heah man yee takkin aboot me liyk?!?! ahl fuhkin kick ya fuhkin fahce in if ya luk aht me liyk that man!!! :mad:

can ah lend ah tab? :smile:

:wink:
Reply 18
Broons all roond...
Reply 19
I think a certain number of open applications are sent purely at random, so that they can claim that open application doesn't just mean Cuths/Marys/Mildert.

Does anyone know if the uni has managed to increase their HEFCE quota after the building of Butler? Last I heard the departments weren't allowed to take any more people, Butler's construction has just lowered the other colleges' quota for freshers, meaning more second and third years can live in.

Latest