The Student Room Group

Fluid Mechanics

I plan to study engineering at university, I am currently studying maths at college, but my weakest topic is "rate of change" I am ok at other maths topics and got an A at M1 but as my weakest topic is rate of change, I am worried about Fluid Mechanics, a module held in both the first year and second year.

I was wondering if someone can explain what fluid mechanics is, and whether in summary it is a more difficult version of rate of change?
Reply 1
Original post by harry218
I plan to study engineering at university, I am currently studying maths at college, but my weakest topic is "rate of change" I am ok at other maths topics and got an A at M1 but as my weakest topic is rate of change, I am worried about Fluid Mechanics, a module held in both the first year and second year.

I was wondering if someone can explain what fluid mechanics is, and whether in summary it is a more difficult version of rate of change?

the whole of engineering is concerned with the rates of change of many things...
Original post by harry218

Don't worry, fluid mechanics in engineering isn't that hard. The underlying theory can be very difficult, but you don't go into it in that much depth in engineering, as it's more of an applied maths topic. Engineering concerns the application of fluid mechanics to common, "real world" applications, and a lot of the fluid mechanics you'll cover is fairly empirical as opposed to the hardcore mathematical type you'll encounter on a maths course.

Quick Reply

Latest