The Student Room Group

2.5 years on, and still miss her?

Hi guys

Its been 2 1/2 years since our break-up .... (the joint effort of both our families caused us to make certain decisions )

We were unbreakable (at least we thought) .... We broke up and got together a few times and I couldn't take it any more the pressure from families and had to take the step back and stop all comms. I received emails even from different addresses after blocking her's. Painfully, I didnt reply/ even read them.

The problem now is: I still think about her and its still deep. I don't know what to do. I only have her email now but don't know what to do about it. I believe every parent THINKS the best for their child, but not every parent does the best for their children. So i didn't ask them. I think the newer generation here would be much more understanding......

I imagined the emotional wounds would heal by now???! Why the pulling?

P.S Im 22 but far mature than my peers (seriously) people think Im 30+ so I can distinguish the feelings of lust and love. I can sit and watch her the whole day. We'd been together 7 months but it feels like years!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
it seems that you're like this is because you didnt get full closure, you blocked her emails/ didnt wanna read them, and now, you dont have complete closure from the relationship, so you cannot move on.

Talk to her, have a long long talk, work out why things went wrong, and if you can, try to convince your parents, that the only thing that would make you happy, is being with her... nothing else, maybe then, they would try to be a bit more understanding, if they want what is best for you, they would not want you to be miserable for the rest of your life, without the person you love the most. Ask your parents what they would feel if they didnt have each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
This ain't nothing bro me and my ex still have attachment issues 4 years on...
Reply 3
Original post by thephlox
it seems that you're like this is because you didnt get full closure, you blocked her emails/ didnt wanna read them, and now, you dont have complete closure from the relationship, so you cannot move on.

Talk to her, have a long long talk, work out why things went wrong, and if you can, try to convince your parents, that the only thing that would make you happy, is being with her... nothing else, maybe then, they would try to be a bit more understanding, if they want what is best for you, they would not want you to be miserable for the rest of your life, without the person you love the most. Ask your parents what they would feel if they didnt have each other.

I know where you're coming from but we agreed and it was over. Her still replying was starting it over again.

You're right about the closure part but thats just unavoidable. If neither parties want to move back, their was external pressure which forced us out, that was unavoidable and I dont see ,much of a solution to that

My parents are re-considering, her's were stubborn as hell, they have like their cult thing and I dont know thier position or even hers for that matter.... You think its a GOOD idea to get in touch with her after what i did?
Reply 4
Original post by Lemon Haze
This ain't nothing bro me and my ex still have attachment issues 4 years on...

Bro, are your issues between yourselves, or due to families? If you have issues thats different, If families cause them, its a bigger pain to deal with ...
Reply 5
I think the issue is the emails thing... you never read them so your subconscious is curious and so you keep thinking about her and thinking about memories with her and stuff I'm guessing? I think the only way to let go here is address the issue directly - read the emails, reply to them. It doesn't matter what she thinks about you replying after such a long time. This is about your closure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Oraeng
I think the issue is the emails thing... you never read them so your subconscious is curious and so you keep thinking about her and thinking about memories with her and stuff I'm guessing? I think the only way to let go here is address the issue directly - read the emails, reply to them. It doesn't matter what she thinks about you replying after such a long time. This is about your closure.

Nice to hear a lady's POV,

Another problem: I had deleted the emails over a year, any chance of retrieval? And it may sound dumb, but how do I start the reply? Once I get talking I can smooth it out .....
Reply 7
Original post by Oraeng

OH MY GOSH he has feelings!!!
Sorry but I've been seeing so many posts by you today about how you objectify women and seem so cold hearted etc etc I FOUND THE REASON WHY

Another problem: I had deleted the emails over a year, any chance of retrieval? And it may sound dumb, but how do I start the reply? Once I get talking I can smooth it out .....
Reply 8
Original post by rehmh05

Not sure about retrieving the emails.
Just be honest with her. Something like...
I know we haven't spoken in a long time but I feel as if I still need to get a few things off my chest....
Reply 9
Original post by Oraeng
Not sure about retrieving the emails.
Just be honest with her. Something like...
I know we haven't spoken in a long time but I feel as if I still need to get a few things off my chest....

I think i'll try that ... the worst that can happen is ; I dont get a reply right?

BTW you in the same situation?
Reply 10
Original post by rehmh05
I think i'll try that ... the worst that can happen is ; I dont get a reply right?

BTW you in the same situation?

Yeah exactly :smile:

Kind of... I broke things off with my ex a year ago but still think about him quite often. Hoping I will move on properly when I meet someone new, maybe this will help for you too?
Reply 11
Original post by Oraeng
Yeah exactly :smile:

Kind of... I broke things off with my ex a year ago but still think about him quite often. Hoping I will move on properly when I meet someone new, maybe this will help for you too?

I dont know about moving on tbh. I understand that everything is relative to time and that it reduces emotions and everything ... however its about the couple's situation exactly. Like i stated, it feels like we've been together for years ....

Your idea of someone 'new' is just to 'mask' your feelings and time can only reduce them, not nullify them, Again depends on the spark between the couple....

When you someone sincere ie. not only interested sleeping with you but is interested in spending a lifetime (or maybe more with you, who can watch you for hours just sitting still) you will not only forget yr ex but be grateful it was over.....

In life when you loose something, try to find the silver lining (being a bit contradictory here) you always find something better....

I just havent found it this time and its been a while
Original post by rehmh05
I dont know about moving on tbh. I understand that everything is relative to time and that it reduces emotions and everything ... however its about the couple's situation exactly. Like i stated, it feels like we've been together for years ....

Your idea of someone 'new' is just to 'mask' your feelings and time can only reduce them, not nullify them, Again depends on the spark between the couple....

When you someone sincere ie. not only interested sleeping with you but is interested in spending a lifetime (or maybe more with you, who can watch you for hours just sitting still) you will not only forget yr ex but be grateful it was over.....

In life when you loose something, try to find the silver lining (being a bit contradictory here) you always find something better....

I just havent found it this time and its been a while

Oh bless you:frown: This is so sad.
Honestly, I would contact her and try to work things out. You clearly loved her and still love her to this day; why deny yourself of this if she still loves you too?
Take action now, you never know what might happen :hugs:
Reply 13
Original post by Maid Marian
Oh bless you:frown: This is so sad.
Honestly, I would contact her and try to work things out. You clearly loved her and still love her to this day; why deny yourself of this if she still loves you too?
Take action now, you never know what might happen :hugs:

There are 2 things that make a person weak; greed and fear

I suffer from the latter, due to not replying to her, I have the fear of her response, or no response .... I'm also considering sending her a present for her Bday, (a day after it obviously, I dont want her to break-down on her B'day) but I dont know what to send her or her parents may even get it never pass it onto her ....

As for love Marian, I can say , we were a symphony ..... after our parents found out and resisted, we stuck together, but we couldn't take the pain we were in. It's like you remove the oxygen from the air .... how can you respire? Similarly, we were kept at distance physically and over the phone ...........

I seek an opportunity to meet her alone far away from external influence (which seems like a fantasy only)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending