The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at St Andrews?

Is the course great and satisfying?
Would the student gain opportunity to study PHD in a greater university(like Princeton)?
Is it possible to study graduate courses in the US after finishing Bsc in UK?
Is the course demanding?
Original post by 100708244
Is the course great and satisfying?
Would the student gain opportunity to study PHD in a greater university(like Princeton)?
Is it possible to study graduate courses in the US after finishing Bsc in UK?
Is the course demanding?

I know plenty of people in Maths and Physics who went on to do PhDs. I don't specifically know anyone who went to Princeton, but when you're applying for a PhD you should really be looking at the possible supervisors in the area you want to research, not some overall prestige ranking. For example, I would never have been able to do my PhD topic at Princeton because no-one there does that sort of maths.

If you want to do a PhD it might be more sensible to do the MMath/MPhys integrated masters course rather than the BSc and then have to do a separate masters.

And yes, you can study in the US after doing a degree in the UK. There was a guy in my year who did an MMath and went to do a PhD in Kentucky.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by la_banane_verte
I know plenty of people in Maths and Physics who went on to do PhDs. I don't specifically know anyone who went to Princeton, but when you're applying for a PhD you should really be looking at the possible supervisors in the area you want to research, not some overall prestige ranking. For example, I would never have been able to do my PhD topic at Princeton because no-one there does that sort of maths.

If you want to do a PhD it might be more sensible to do the MMath/MPhys integrated masters course rather than the BSc and then have to do a separate masters.

And yes, you can study in the US after doing a degree in the UK. There was a guy in my year who did an MMath and went to do a PhD in Kentucky.

Thanks for the reply Banane. Is it possible to separate masters in US(called graduate degree) after finishing a BSc in UK? Do you know if the maths with physics and maths with theoretical physics courses in St Andrews have good reputation among students?
Original post by 100708244
Thanks for the reply Banane. Is it possible to separate masters in US(called graduate degree) after finishing a BSc in UK? Do you know if the maths with physics and maths with theoretical physics courses in St Andrews have good reputation among students?

I currently do Maths and Physics and the course is generally well regarded. There is definitely a chance to be able to do a masters or PhD in the US, as the degree is internationally well-recognised. In addition, you can transfer in your first and second years to the integrated masters from the BSc, provided your grades are good enough, if you decide later this is what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending