The Student Room Group

Need money, help!

I'm 18 years old and need some money as my parents are trying to stop funding my life. I Have some experience volunteering in a charity shop and a library temporarily but have never had a pair job, and I'm a student so i don't really have any ways of making more money as i don't have time to do any job for more than a few hours a week which wouldn't make me enough money, so does anyone know of any legal ways to make decent amounts of money without having to lock myself into a contract? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go on JSA?
Reply 2
Original post by Daisy21
Go on JSA?
No, when I say they aren't giving me money, I'm not starving or homeless but basically they won't buy me a car if don't contribute some of my own money, one of there new bright ideas, so basically I need a way to make a significant amount of money in a way that won't affect my a levels...
Set up a kickstarter selling potatoe salad.
Original post by harry734
but basically they won't buy me a car if don't contribute some of my own money

that's pretty reasonable for something that costs thousands of pounds sorry. can you do part time bar tending or the like, theres always things like mystery shopping and matched betting but their not brilliant for a regular income.
No, when I say they aren't giving me money, I'm not starving or homeless but basically they won't buy me a car if don't contribute some of my own money, one of there new bright ideas, so basically I need a way to make a significant amount of money in a way that won't affect my a levels...

Theres only one way for that...
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
that's pretty reasonable for something that costs thousands of pounds sorry. can you do part time bar tending or the like, theres always things like mystery shopping and matched betting but their not brilliant for a regular income.
Not really because i have to study and need a car to travel around, especially when i go to uni, so its just disruptive. Bar tending will mean i have a contract for certain hours that i can't commit to at the moment and wouldn't make much money anyway. I've heard about matched betting but thought it was a con, do you know how it works?
Reply 7
Original post by hihihihihi
Theres only one way for that...
when i say significant amount of money i mean more than £50 a week. I also said nothing illegal :smile:
Not really because i have to study and need a car to travel around, especially when i go to uni, so its just disruptive. Bar tending will mean i have a contract for certain hours that i can't commit to at the moment and wouldn't make much money anyway. I've heard about matched betting but thought it was a con, do you know how it works?

Why do you need a car for uni?

studentmoneysaver has a guide on their website but you need money to bet to start with. believe me you dont need a car unless you live in the middle of nowhere even then i still managed:P
there isnt a legal way to make enough money for a car if you re going to uni in september unless you own really valuable items that you can sell. Sometimes i m afraid its about opportunity cost you either work for a car or dont have one.
Reply 10
Original post by Keyhofi
Why do you need a car for uni?
to get there... and back when i visit family, just make it easier than getting my parents to give me lifts, or pay for taxis which will be a fortune when added up.
Reply 11
Original post by claireestelle
studentmoneysaver has a guide on their website but you need money to bet to start with. believe me you dont need a car unless you live in the middle of nowhere even then i still managed:P
there isnt a legal way to make enough money for a car if you re going to uni in september unless you own really valuable items that you can sell. Sometimes i m afraid its about opportunity cost you either work for a car or dont have one.
Ok thanks, I'll have a look now. and i do have some money, Probably only £500 if i don't sell anything but thats enough to make a bet surely. Yeah i guess i don't need one but I'd like one and life would be much easier than getting lifts off other people :smile: thanks for your help!
to get there... and back when i visit family, just make it easier than getting my parents to give me lifts, or pay for taxis which will be a fortune when added up.

How far is it? Surely public transport will be cheaper? How often do you plan to visit family?

Are you living down there or travelling from home?
Reply 13
Original post by Keyhofi
How far is it? Surely public transport will be cheaper? How often do you plan to visit family?

Are you living down there or travelling from home?
well I've only just finished my AS's and so I'm not sure which uni I'll go to but i want to move away. I really don't like public transport e.g. trains etc. just too much hassle...
1. Work
2. No other options
Hi,

Have you thought about having a zero hours contract to give you flexibility ? Have heard different stories about them so check before you commit.
Reply 16
Original post by Kutie Karen
Hi,

Have you thought about having a zero hours contract to give you flexibility ? Have heard different stories about them so check before you commit.
I think they're more at the employers leisure rather than the workers though, like he calls on you when he needs you which may be 40 hours one week and 0 the next hence the 0 guaranteed hours, its not like being self employed etc. as far as I'm aware :smile:
well I've only just finished my AS's and so I'm not sure which uni I'll go to but i want to move away. I really don't like public transport e.g. trains etc. just too much hassle...

When you go you probably won't be visiting family very much. You'll find that video calls would do most of the time. Trains are pretty good once you've done a few.

I see no reason for you to have a car. Very few uni students actually do and those that do are usually mature students who have brought their own.
Reply 18
Original post by Keyhofi
When you go you probably won't be visiting family very much. You'll find that video calls would do most of the time. Trains are pretty good once you've done a few.

I see no reason for you to have a car. Very few uni students actually do and those that do are usually mature students who have brought their own.
What?! loads of students have cars, lots of people at my sixth form do as well and like I've said i don't like using trains...
This wasn't a do i need a car thread either, I accept that i won't die without one but I'd like one and it would make life easier, and my parents have said they'll buy me one i just need to show initiative and make some money first, thanks for your help anyway :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Set up a kickstarter selling potatoe salad.
Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending