The Student Room Group

Possibility of getting a pilot's licence in the RAF if you're not a pilot?

Hi,

I'm talking from the viewpoint of a Commissioned Officer, if it makes any difference.

In the past I've heard that learning to fly is doable in the R.A.F. if you're not a pilot. If it is possible, could anybody run me through what you would have to do, price (I imagine it would have to be self-funded?), likelihood, and all the nitty gritty?

Thank you in advance,
Russell_Crowbar
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Russell_Crowbar
Hi,

I'm talking from the viewpoint of a Commissioned Officer, if it makes any difference.

In the past I've heard that learning to fly is doable in the R.A.F. if you're not a pilot. If it is possible, could anybody run me through what you would have to do, price (I imagine it would have to be self-funded?), likelihood, and all the nitty gritty?

Thank you in advance,
Russell_Crowbar

Russell C, anyone (regardless of rank) can learn to fly while serving in the RAF. A number of bases will have a flying club and / or gliding club etc Yes, it'll cost. Not sure if the hourly rates are comparable with normal civvy clubs, but I suspect they may well be. I take it that's what you mean? If you thought that you could learn to fly in Betty's few remaining training aircraft, I'm afraid that'll be a non-starter, unless you're actually undergoing a course as an RAF Pilot.
It's discounted rates for military, so not as expensive as a civvie walking into a civvie club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I know of a number of personnel who have used their learning credits to help fund flying lessons - pop into your education centre and have a word with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the above is correct, although it's worth noting that the rates, although discounted, are still fairly significant - over the course of a PPL (assuming it was achieved on minimum hours) you may saw £500-1000 perhaps*. The advantage over a civilian club is that a lot of the other members will give their time for free (and at some you will get very high quality instruction from current and former military Flying instructors), and you won't necessarily have to pay for your cost of your airborne instruction and the ground school tutoring.

*an example: RAF Cranwell flying club, Grob 115a - £120/hr. Lancashire Aero Club - Grob 115a ~ £140/hr.
They pay you partly. I had a license but it was completely free and I was 16/17. I would recommend not doing it if you don't get paid to do it otherwise it's fairly monotonous and what you do won't be counted really. So just leave it I would just not bother at all it's not worth it even if it's free. You'll waste a lot of unvalued time helping everyone else with nothing to show for it. I'm glad I don't do it anymore. I think I had 100 hours in 9 months then it's really just not that exciting just volunteer somewhere instead at least you'll be doing what you signed up for.
(edited 6 years ago)
OP, get in touch with the RAFFCA or find your nearest club and give them a call.

You can use ELCs, if you have them. Some clubs offer a modular based PPL course which would allow you to make the most of them.

JRs can apply for a scholarship; 15 hours/first solo, however this is rather competitive and therefore not guaranteed.

I'm part way through my PPL; I have had to take a break for personal reasons and other commitments but all being well will get it done over the next 12 months.

Latest