The Student Room Group

Interview Process for Maths with Physics vs. Maths

I intend to apply to Cambridge to study Math with Physics - that is do the first year of the Math Tripos and then switch over to the Physics Tripos.

Does the interview for Maths with Physics at Trinity involve testing in physics as well as maths or just maths? Basically is it any different than the Maths interview?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Joshua Benabou
I intend to apply to Cambridge to study Math with Physics - that is do the first year of the Math Tripos and then switch over to the Physics Tripos.

Does the interview for Maths with Physics at Trinity involve testing in physics as well as maths or just maths? Basically is it any different than the Maths interview?

Thanks.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/guide.pdf

"8.24 Trinity
Our admissions procedure normally involves a single lengthy interview, with conditional offers basedon a careful assessment of the candidate’s school record, and performance in the test and at interview.Candidates will be asked to spend an hour before the interview working through a selection of problems.(These problems will be adapted where appropriate for those applying for Mathematics with Physics butwill still be predominantly mathematical.) Nearly all offers include grades in STEP"

And
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/subjects/mathematics
"The interview is about 40-45 minutes with two members of the Mathematics teaching staff. It is preceded by a one-hour written test and the candidate's attempts at the problems in the test form the basis of much of the discussion in the interview itself. Some specimen questions are available here:
Specimen written test 1
Specimen written test 2
Specimen written test 3
A slightly different test is set for Mathematics with Physics, but candidates for this option need to be aware that they will be judged primarily on their mathematical ability and how they have done in the preceding test."
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending