The Student Room Group

Advice regarding graduates being made to do apprenticeship and repeat 'expired' GCSEs

I graduated in management with a BA hons 2.1 last year. I was invited to phase 3 of a selection process for one of the country's biggest hospitality employers. In spite of performing well and being told so throughout the process and seeing my scores for the tasks on the day I was not offered a position on the scheme. As far as I'm aware of the 7 of us none of us were offered a position.

I didn't have a hospitality degree but on the pre-application information a business management degree was named as being as relevant as a hospitality degree in terms of meeting eligibility criteria. I had worked in retail since I was 16 and throughout university and had held a management position for over a year and I had also gained almost 3 years concurrent experience in hospitality. I worked so hard with my study and building experience feeling it would equip me well for when I graduated.

Instead of being offered a grad position I was offered a 12 month fast track to management position on a lower pay, but higher than minimum wage with the same company. As I wanted to work for them and my passion lies in hospitality I accepted.

Since commencing in post a year ago the boundaries are constantly shifting. I had to do phase one of an in house management training programme and was told at the end (materials online concur with this) that this course equips me to apply for supervisory and management positions within the organisation. Other people involved in training and development tell me that's not the case and that I can't apply for any positions.

Now I'm being made to do an apprenticeship which after 12 months will leave me with an in house 'qualification' equivalent to GCSE's or AS level. As part of this I have to re-sit my GCSE in English and Maths as even though they were sat in 2009 and I achieved A* in each, subsequently achieved C grades in both at AS level and obviously other A levels and went on to do my degree with no breaks in my education since I was 4 years old.

I'm told that my GCSE's have 'expired' and in order to complete the apprenticeship I have to have the minimum requirement of English and Maths GCSEs. I've told them I have them but they said they are not valid.

I was hoping to start a masters programme in marketing communications next year, part time, in my own time and at my own expense and wonder if I'm going to be the only masters student resitting GCSE's.

I'm so bewildered and confused by the whole thing. Is anyone familiar with any of this? I'm told different things every time I speak to someone and now find myself waiting at least another year before I can even be considered for a management position and have been told that my transfer to another establishment would not be supported until I have completed my apprenticeship. This is not a tin pot organisation it is one of the biggest UK companies.

I am so depressed. I have not been under-performing, I was trusted to manage the whole establishment single-handedly with no training for a week and did an excellent job of thinking on my feet, using initiative and drawing on my experience and education. So someone somewhere knows I am capable. I have never had a day off sick in my entire life and yet I feel like I need to go see a doctor about stress this is causing.

I know it's easy to say walk away and find something else, but I really love this industry and I don't want to give up on something and it reflect badly on me so it seems like I gave up on what seems on paper to have been a tremendous opportunity.
I've quite a lot experience in big companies. The image forming as I read your tribulations is familiar. Each person you talk to has their own misunderstanding. Everyone in the organisation has their own little turf war going on and heir own empire to build. In reality you will probably find that a small number of people can influence your future path in the company. I would hope no more than three. You need to identify who they are and dismiss everything said by anyone else.
If one or more of them are less than stellar themselves you might find that you have a problem. For example, some guys who have risen from the shop floor see no reason why anyone should be given an easier faster path. You might even overtake them and that wouldn't be good.People are people. Rules are made up and reinterpreted as we go along. If your future is blighted by one of them try moving within the company. If they won't give you a move then you move. Be prepared to move anywhere.
Reply 2
GCSE shouldn't expire. Hence why they are done only once at 16. If your still concerned about it then contact the exam board you did and ask them regarding this matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending