The Student Room Group

What does one think of graduating uni 27 years old?

Hi, so basically because of circumstances I will probably end up graduating with an undergraduate degree at 27 years old. I am 22 now and I am going to do a level 3 apprenticeship then a level 6 apprenticeships in total 5 years. It just feels long and it feels like I will be old. I come from an Asian family where parents already want me to get married. I was thinking that at 27 I would get married but after I graduated I always wanted a bit of freedom. I don’t know what do to. I am just feeling bad because I know my parents reaction will not be good when they hear that I am taking this long just to graduate. Other people are are not help. What I mean is everyone my parents hang out with will ask “what is your daughter doing?” And it makes me feel guilty because they can’t say much but it’s worse because right after this kind of conversation with other people they will come pressure me.Tell me I can’t fall behind any more.I have to graduate within the next 3 years. They say how I have wasted the last 2 years . Maybe I should do a level 6 apprenticeship on a subject that’s similar that I want do to? Which will be just 4 years. I want to do digital marketing but there are no L6 for it in my area.So maybe I should do L6 digital and technology apprenticeship.The only thing I am scared about this one is it heavily involves coding and I am not confident I will be able to code well. What does everyone think?
Reply 1
I would say try get a class in coding from websites like skillshare so u have at least a baseline in coding and are more comfortable with it, then do the L6 D&T apprenticeship, that way you arent spending as long on education and you still get something similar to your job and you get hands on experience.
Hope this helps, message me back if u have anything else, good luck! :smile:
I’m a mother, from a different culture with similar pressures. Although I try to advise and support my child, I want them to make their own decisions because of what I experienced. I want my child to make full use of their talents and live a really happy life, if possible!

You could point out to your parents that compared to those others who graduated a few years earlier, with a loan of potentially almost £60000, you on the other hand, will have nothing to repay. If you have a dual income in time, all of those earnings can go straight into your future family.

You might also find it useful to know there is a direct, researched ink between the education level of mothers and life chances for children (there’s research on this by the World Health Organisation and others). The better the mother’s education, the healthier young children are. That sets a foundation for their whole future life.
Most first time mothers in the UK are now over 27, with healthy children and more maturity and patience to raise them well.

Those are a few rational reasons to complete your studies through apprenticeships.

If you want to get married when you finish (or before), could you not find a husband who strongly values a well educated wife and who would support you and speak up for you?

Finally, the world does not stay the same. For example, there are careers now which did not exist when your parents were young (such as cyber security or in artificial intelligence). There will be more as you mature. We will experience enormous changes in the future, that your parents cannot predict.

I am sure they are trying to protect you and do their best, but parents can only advise their children for the times they grew up in. Nobody knows the future, so they may give the wrong advice.

Be wise about what you do next, don’t just give in to pressure, that’s my advice. You can respectfully present rational ideas, maybe gently repeat them in a calm way?
Is there any ally, an older person in the family who could support you? An uncle, aunt, grandparents even?

One day your parents will pass on and it will be you living with these decisions, not them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending