The Student Room Group

*best a level choices which are highly credited*

If you could choose 4 A levels that are widely respected, which 4 would they be and why?

Which ones aren't widely respected?
Reply 1
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Philosophy.

Every scientist must know mathemtics, and physics is the most fundamental natural science. The study of philosophy will give you perspective, reminding you that all of our progress comes down to the operation of human thought and human nature.
,Maths, English/ History, A science, a language.

All really respected.

Media, buisness, film, theatre studies all less respected. Best to stick with traditional subjects. History > politics at a level, English > Law, Chemistry/ Biology > Psycology.
I'm not saying this is the optimal choice but I have thought that Maths, Further Maths, English Language, English Literature would be in a funny way really good to study.

Economics, physics all have principles found in mathematics. History, politics is all found in literature so could be covered that way.
--------------
To be honest to get the best out of your a-levels you should have a good idea of the degree you want to do and the possibilities of different careers afterwards.

Advertising: art, english language, media studies, psychology, sociology
Midwifery: biology, psychology, physical education
Defence and security: economics, geography, government and politics, history, math

and so on..
Reply 4
I'm doing German or Politics, Chinese, maths, and photography (least respected I think)
I don't know why I picked these, guess I'm good at them
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cal1999
If you could choose 4 A levels that are widely respected, which 4 would they be and why?

chemistry, maths, physics and biology
Your mum, Your Dad, You, Your Future Daughter
Original post by Cal1999

The four/five proper ones of course - chemistry, biology, physics and maths/further maths.
Original post by Cal1999

I couldn't care less whether they are or aren't widely respected. If they'll get me to where I want to be, that's all that matters.

English Literature
Psychology
Biology
Sociology OR Theology & Philosophy

Of the lot, I presume Sociology isn't regarded highly of, but looking at the specification, it seems like something I'd definitely enjoy.

If I were you, I'd worry less about "soft" and "hard" courses, and more about what it is that I want to do exactly.

I intend on doing a Masters in Teaching (FE or Secondary) or a Masters in Physiotherapy, and the above will get me there, following another few years at University studying biomedical sciences of course.

Good luck!
Some real subject elitism here. Universities do not think highly of one subject over another. They do, however, produce a list of 'facilitating subjects', which are subjects that universities require students to have to get on to many degree courses. For example, lots of science degrees require students to have two or sometimes three A-levels from Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Biology.

The list includes: English Literature, Maths, Further Maths, History, Classical/Modern Languages, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Geography.

If you know what you want to study- English, for example- and you know that most universities specify that they want English Literature at A level in order to study it, your others two choices are open. However, if you don't know what you want to study, I highly recommend picking any three of the above so all pathways are open for you.

In a way, I think choosing one AS from every department- Physics, English Literature, History and a Language- shows how versatile you are, and would look better than three sciences. But this all depends on what you want to do!

Best of luck
Media, Drama, Dance, Psychology

Quick Reply

Latest