The Student Room Group

90 credit - completion

Hi there,

Newbie here, my apologies. I've done a legacy (100% coursework) Pearson BTEC L3 90-credit in Business, but only did one year so have the equivalent of 1.5. During the end, my father passed away so I was unable to focus, and they threw me out on fitness to study.

I want to complete my qualification, which doesn't exist anymore as it's now exam based. Problem being, I don't know how to complete it. I know it'll be a broken qualification now, but I would like the UCAS points as I'd like to slowly build my quals up.

So, what're my best options? I don't imagine a college would take it on, regardless of me self-funding, as I only need one year to complete it. I also work fulltime, so ideally minimal in-person hours or alternatively, distance based would be best.

Appreciate your help!
Original post by HisExcellency
Hi there,

Newbie here, my apologies. I've done a legacy (100% coursework) Pearson BTEC L3 90-credit in Business, but only did one year so have the equivalent of 1.5. During the end, my father passed away so I was unable to focus, and they threw me out on fitness to study.

I want to complete my qualification, which doesn't exist anymore as it's now exam based. Problem being, I don't know how to complete it. I know it'll be a broken qualification now, but I would like the UCAS points as I'd like to slowly build my quals up.

So, what're my best options? I don't imagine a college would take it on, regardless of me self-funding, as I only need one year to complete it. I also work fulltime, so ideally minimal in-person hours or alternatively, distance based would be best.

Appreciate your help!

Firstly, welcome to TSR! :smile:

It's nice to see that you've started with a nice, easy question. Not only are you trying to complete a qualification which doesn't exist any more, but you're trying to do it via distance learning!

The Pearson BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Business has been closed to new registrations since 31 July 2020. Theoretically, you could argue that you registered before that date and what you'd trying to do now is not a new registration. However, the final certification was on 31 December 2022 - so even if that argument worked, you couldn't actually complete that qualification anyway.

You say, "only did one year so have the equivalent of 1.5". Do you mean the equivalent of 1.5 A levels? Are you saying this based upon the assumption that the full 90-credit Diploma was the equivalent of 3 A levels? According to the specification for the Pearson BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Business, here, any Pearson BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma "is broadly equivalent to 1.5 GCE A Levels". So if you completed half of the course, then you have the equivalent of 0.75 A levels.

If you look at the specification for the 90-credit Diploma (link above) you will note that you can use credits from one qualification in another qualification (in the same subject). If you took half of a 90-credit Diploma then you could theoretically be sitting on 45 credits. That specification says that for the Extended Diploma (which is a 135 credit course), "A maximum of 35 optional credits can come from other level 3 BTEC units to meet local needs." You'd still need to gain 100 credits though, and that's more than the size of your original course. Also, this qualification is out-of-date now anyway, with final certification happening on 31 December 2023. So there's simply no time to do this.

The specification for their current Business course, which they call Business (2016), (see here) makes no mention of being able to use credits from an another course. Also, although they have a "Recognition of prior learning policy and process" (here), it makes no mention of Level 3 BTECs.

From what I can see, there is no way to either complete the qualification you started, or to use the credits you've gained against another qualification. It would be best to check with Pearson themselves though - just to be sure. You can do so via this form.

Sorry. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending