The Student Room Group

A-Level choices leading to uni...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AmyPilot
Just a random point but not sure how important your subject choice is - its more grades focused. I know people doing psychology at uni who didn't even take it for A level.

I do a joint honours course with psychology - my A2 subjects were psychology sociology RS (philosophy and ethics) and English lit/lang combined. No other maths/science in sight (I hate maths - my definite weakness lol)!

Do what you enjoy - better chance of good grades that way.

Good luck

Yeah I have realised now that it is probable better to take what I enjoy and will get higher grades in:smile: Hopefully me taking maths and psychology will go well:tongue:
Original post by abster743
Yeah I have realised now that it is probable better to take what I enjoy and will get higher grades in:smile: Hopefully me taking maths and psychology will go well:tongue:

Sure you will do fine - I just have a maths phobia so avoid it at all costs lol.

But yeah its best to go for what you will do well in - and in addition essay based subjects will be more helpful for psychology at uni - any science requirements will be covered in the course so more science subjects are not essential.

Any ideas where you would like to go yet?
Reply 22
Sure you will do fine - I just have a maths phobia so avoid it at all costs lol.

But yeah its best to go for what you will do well in - and in addition essay based subjects will be more helpful for psychology at uni - any science requirements will be covered in the course so more science subjects are not essential.

Any ideas where you would like to go yet?

Thankyou:smile: Maths is my favourite lol:tongue: Sociology is essay based so that might be a good one to take!

Umm I've been looking and I quite like Exeter or Bath or maybe Bristol but I'm still unsure as there are a lot of choices!
Original post by abster743
Thankyou:smile: Maths is my favourite lol:tongue: Sociology is essay based so that might be a good one to take!

Umm I've been looking and I quite like Exeter or Bath or maybe Bristol but I'm still unsure as there are a lot of choices!

Sociology is good - that was my highest A2 - quite miss it! Although it does still come up in my course so its still very relevant (I do psychology and speech pathology/therapy).

Plenty of time to look at unis though sometimes its harder when there is more to pick from - atleast with speech and language therapy I only had a few unis to pick from and the joint honours course I only had one option!

Never looked at your preferred unis but I know reputation-wise they are supposed to be good.

Again, good luck - with results and the rest of your studies:smile:
Reply 24
Sociology is good - that was my highest A2 - quite miss it! Although it does still come up in my course so its still very relevant (I do psychology and speech pathology/therapy).

Plenty of time to look at unis though sometimes its harder when there is more to pick from - atleast with speech and language therapy I only had a few unis to pick from and the joint honours course I only had one option!

Never looked at your preferred unis but I know reputation-wise they are supposed to be good.

Again, good luck - with results and the rest of your studies:smile:

Yeah I do like sociology too! I think it would be really helpful for me! But yeah I have a while yet to decide on what uni to go to...it depends what psychology course I end up doing too!:smile:

Thankyou!:smile:
Maybe sociology as it goes the best with psychology. I also want to do psychology at uni and am going to take biology, chemistry and psychology. Maths as a pure a level isn't for me haha. Most Unis require at least one science so maybe do biology. However, some universities accept psychology as a science but if you don't have bio,Chem or physics then you will limit your university choices. I recommend researching different unis you are interested in and look at there psychology requirements as it really does vary. Based off of that and what you are interested in, you can decide your final subject x hope this helps x if you decide you won't take a science then I strongly recommend sociology to go with your other options

Quick Reply

Latest