The Student Room Group

The eating meat for pleasure aurgument is flawed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SleepyJacques
People need to get off their pedestal pls.

--It's so wrong to eat meat - despite being evolved to do so.

Morals time!!!
😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

You're wearing makeup in your profile picture.

Were any of your products tested on animals? Most are. So unless you actually checked all, and I mean ALL (shampoo and other cosmetics, too) - your argument is flawed.

Have you ever taken painkillers such as paracetamol where you had a choice not to? So, perhaps a headache? Period pain?
Well, on the basis that you have done so, YOU ARE A MONSTER. Do you know the pain that the poor little animals went through for that to be available to you?!?! Was your discomfort comparable?? I doubt it. You, my darling have just contributed to an industry built on animal testing.

By this notion of immorality, you should reject all medical drug treatments. Why is your life and wellbeing MORE important than that of a rat?

I think I might join you, and the other animal rights supporters protesting against animal testing for new drugs. It's not like cancer is killing anyone, lol. Tbh, a few hundred/thousand rats is WAY more important than one human life. ** yes** the supporters say. Oh no, but wait.. What if.. (God forbid) it's your mother lying frail and weak from cancer..? How many rats is it okay to use for saving your mother? Is there even a limit?

That's not directed towards you (missmillie) - all I directed towards you was really the makeup & cosmetics things lol.

Anyway - the living conditions for animals in the food industry are mostly awful. So, to curb this issue I buy free range meat (just like with eggs!). At least they have a pleasant life and I get to consume meat with a relatively clear conscience, as humans should (biologically). 🗽

Posted from TSR Mobile

People need to get off their pedestal pls.

--It's so wrong to eat meat - despite being evolved to do so.

Morals time!!!
😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

You're wearing makeup in your profile picture.

Were any of your products tested on animals? Most are. So unless you actually checked all, and I mean ALL (shampoo and other cosmetics, too) - your argument is flawed.

Have you ever taken painkillers such as paracetamol where you had a choice not to? So, perhaps a headache? Period pain?
Well, on the basis that you have done so, YOU ARE A MONSTER. Do you know the pain that the poor little animals went through for that to be available to you?!?! Was your discomfort comparable?? I doubt it. You, my darling have just contributed to an industry built on animal testing.

By this notion of immorality, you should reject all medical drug treatments. Why is your life and wellbeing MORE important than that of a rat?

I think I might join you, and the other animal rights supporters protesting against animal testing for new drugs. It's not like cancer is killing anyone, lol. Tbh, a few hundred/thousand rats is WAY more important than one human life. ** yes** the supporters say. Oh no, but wait.. What if.. (God forbid) it's your mother lying frail and weak from cancer..? How many rats is it okay to use for saving your mother? Is there even a limit?

That's not directed towards you (missmillie) - all I directed towards you was really the makeup & cosmetics things lol.

Anyway - the living conditions for animals in the food industry are mostly awful. So, to curb this issue I buy free range meat (just like with eggs!). At least they have a pleasant life and I get to consume meat with a relatively clear conscience, as humans should (biologically). 🗽

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying that all this stuff is trivial and then proceed to say you buy free range. Which means you know maltreatment of animals is wrong. So I ask you: do you check all your products when you buy them? Do you take paracetamol? Sounds to me that you have a less clear conscience than me. Although I agree that it's near impossible to avoid being involved with the maltreatment of animals in some ways which makes me sad.
Original post by missmillie12345
Haha, are you saying blind people don't care if they die??

No, which evidently shows your stupidity, or just your loss of arguments as they've all been proven inefficient.

I literally said blind people have less sentience, sentience has no relation to importance, we're all forms of life... so how on earth did you manage to get that from what I said?

Wow you're a little, okay very, deluded.

Your argument is that plants don't feel/hear/see/smell/taste (sentience if to do with the 5 senses in case you didn't know) it when they're killed, so therefore it should be considered okay.

That's like saying "dead people don't feel/hear/smell/taste/see it when they're being raped, so therefore raping dead people should be considered okay."

Once again, I have to point out how stupid your arguments are. What a ridiculous argument.
Original post by mermaidy
Juichiro, the reason you present for not eating meat is that it causes suffering to animals (despite the fact that you inevitably cause or benefit from animals suffering in other ways, which to most people in itself would reduce your credibility), which in your view is comparable to the suffering humans cause other humans through things like rape and slavery. I think that's bull****. I don't believe eating meat is ideal or that the way it is currently obtained is particularly ethical at all, but I cannot for one second longer entertain the idea that it is comparable to the atrocities humans have committed against each other. If you think that is because I need education, that's fine, but if that's the case I'd rather go without whatever education it is that makes someone think eating meat is equal to raping someone, thank you very much.

He was illustrating the weakness of using hedonism as a reason to do something. And yes, they are comparable.
In your first point you're saying an animal is "someone". I think you might need this. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1436787911.645045.jpg

Last time I checked, people = humans. Unless you want to refute that too..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of evrerything I said, you focus on the meaning of a word I used. :wink: Bet you can't give a proper counter argument.
You can replace "someone" for "something" if you want, my point still stands.
Sentience is the ability to have interests. For example a sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it. Plants don't, so they aren't sentient

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sheep's behaviour is niether here nor there. Virus' invade cells; you wouldn't infer from that that virus' WANT to invade cells. Therefore, behaviours do not imply preferences.

A sheep will behave one way in response to pain, and another in response to pleasure (ie defined as chemical reactions, not experiences), but this not not mean that a sheep PREFERS pleasure to pain. I don't see how a sheep forms such a preference; they don't have the ability to constructs mental pictures of different states of affairs and pick between them based on reasons which the sheep is aware of and consciously connects the reasons to the states of affairs in order to, analogously not digitally, create a preference. it is not obvious a sheep does this, and yet it seems to me that this is the minimum requirement for a sheep to have a preference.
Original post by Juichiro
1. We don't know whether two humans suffer in the same way but since we all have central nervous systems (which are the cause of experiencing suffering) we assume we all suffer and we don't use possible differences in the way we suffer to kill each other for pleasure. Animal suffering is the same thing. Whether the suffering is exact or approximate has no bearing on the question of whether killing someone for pleasure is acceptable.

2. It might be dubious but it is better to assume that all humans have it (and not kill each other for pleasure - see slaves in ancient Rome) than to assume not all have it and allow killing of some humans for pleasure if you believe the human in question cannot experience suffering. This would allow people to kill brain damaged individuals and people in coma for pleasure. The same goes for assumptions of human suffering. It is better to err on the safe side.

3. You can make the same argument for the suffering and worth of the suffering of two humans. I believe this was the reasoning of slavers, wife beaters, rapists and European powers to justify the suffering they produced.

Ignoring the historical hysteria, 1. is not the reason we assume other humans have consciousness.
Sentience is the ability to have interests. For example a sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it. Plants don't, so they aren't sentient

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't plants actively avoid death, and actively perform actions to keep themselves alive (to the best of their physical capability) as well?

Doesn't the Venus Flytrap actively shut it's jaws on the approaching insect, to make sure it gets enough nourishment and doesn't die of starvation? Don't other plants actively point their leaves towards light for the same reason?

Additionally, note that plants have active defences to help them prevent being eaten by herbivores, for example they can start producing repellent chemicals when they sense being touched: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_defense_against_herbivory

Why doesn't this indicate that the plant "wants" to remain alive, and is therefore sentient?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mermaidy
Juichiro, 1.the reason you present for not eating meat is that it causes suffering to animals (despite the fact that you inevitably cause or benefit from animals suffering in other ways, which to most people in itself would reduce your credibility), which in your view is comparable to the suffering humans cause other humans through things like rape and slavery. I think that's bull****. 2. I don't believe eating meat is ideal or that the way it is currently obtained is particularly ethical at all, but I cannot for one second longer entertain the idea that it is comparable to the atrocities humans have committed against each other. 3.If you think that is because I need education, that's fine, but if that's the case I'd rather go without whatever education it is that makes someone think eating meat is equal to raping someone, thank you very much.

Are you scared of my replies that you do not even quote me now? :tongue:

1. My point is that killing for suffering (I did not mention causing suffering to animals in general) whether to animals or humans is equivalent to rape/murder done for pleasure. If you look into the actual biological response to it is the same whether you are human or animal. That response is suffering.
2. It is comparable because it causes suffering and it is done for pleasure
3. That's the type of education slavers receive but I am sure rapists can educate you on that too. After all, they also cause suffering for their pleasure. Good luck to you, I guess I will see you on the news too for commiting unethical acts for pleasure. :smile:
Original post by Plagioclase
If you justify eating meat by talking about "survival of the fittest" then you should reject many of the excellent human inventions that completely defy "survival of the fittest" like the law, or the welfare state.

I don't see how this is a contradiction. Humans obey Darwinist "survival of the fittest" in a very loose sense because we are a societal species. In a bee hive, 20,000 worker bees are doomed to die without reproducing, but they live their lives for the reproduction of the entire colony. In the same way, respecting a welfare state and law is Darwinian, because it enhances the survival chances of the whole species.

I hold moral empathy for members of my own species because if I didn't then it would be more difficult for us to survive. I hold no moral empathy for animals slaughtered humanely. There is little pain and suffering in modern slaughter, and if we didn't eat these animals which we have bred then there would be nowhere for them to go. But that doesn't even matter, my moral centre is human and all I care about is people.

This philosophy does allow some sort of leeway. If an alien species with higher intelligence came to earth would we slaughter it? Only if it was in our best interests to do so. The point is, whilst we may have to make cross species friendships eventually for the good of our own survival, no species on earth has negotiating power. Especially chickens and cows...
Original post by tazarooni89
Don't plants actively avoid death, and actively perform actions to keep themselves alive (to the best of their physical capability) as well?

Doesn't the Venus Flytrap actively shut it's jaws on the approaching insect, to make sure it gets enough nourishment and doesn't die of starvation? Don't other plants actively point their leaves towards light for the same reason?

Additionally, note that plants have active defences to help them prevent being eaten by herbivores: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_defense_against_herbivory

Why doesn't this indicate that the plant "wants" to remain alive?

Plants can be remarkably responsive to external stimuli in a way that might seem reflective of situational decision-making. But to exploit this to suggest that plants really "think" or have "feelings" in the vertebrate sense is a different matter altogether. You cant compare a pig and a pumpkin in the same way you can compare pigs and humans
Original post by APlantinga
Ignoring the historical hysteria, 1. is not the reason we assume other humans have consciousness.

1. It is not "the" reason but is one of them. It is a big issue in clinical psychology due to obvious consequences (I studied it that is why I know). I love how you only focus on 1 bit of my entire response and ignore the rest. :smile:
Plants can be remarkably responsive to external stimuli in a way that might seem reflective of situational decision-making. But to exploit this to suggest that plants really "think" or have "feelings" in the vertebrate sense is a different matter altogether. You cant compare a pig and a pumpkin in the same way you can compare pigs and humans

But you said that: "A sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it.", which is what makes them sentient. But the same is also true of plants - they actively avoid death as well.

You also said that: "Plants don't, so they aren't sentient". But again, as I pointed out, in actual fact they do actively avoid death. When faced with situations that are likely to cause their death, to the extent that they are physically capable of it, they respond in a manner that is designed to prevent their death.

So I don't really see what distinction you're making between sheep and plants that proves that one is sentient while the other isn't. Actively clinging to life and avoiding death is a feature of both, so surely that can't be the sole criterion you're using for sentience.
(edited 8 years ago)
So you're saying that all this stuff is trivial and then proceed to say you buy free range. Which means you know maltreatment of animals is wrong. So I ask you: do you check all your products when you buy them? Do you take paracetamol? Sounds to me that you have a less clear conscience than me. Although I agree that it's near impossible to avoid being involved with the maltreatment of animals in some ways which makes me sad.

Your point is moot; maltreatment =/= animal consumption (if it's free range).

And yes I do take medications, both at choice (like headaches, like now! lol) and when prescribed, because my wellbeing, especially at a time of pain/medical necessity, is more important.
Are you scared of my replies that you do not even quote me now? :tongue:

1. My point is that killing for suffering (I did not mention causing suffering to animals in general) whether to animals or humans is equivalent to rape/murder done for pleasure. If you look into the actual biological response to it is the same whether you are human or animal. That response is suffering.

I'm not scared to respond to you... :smile:

I care about human suffering but I don't care about animal suffering. The reason for this is that if you kill a human or harm a human, you may start a war between humans - at the very least there will be one less bricklayer or one less chartered accountant. This is self-destructive for the species. I am morally opposed to this not out of empathy directly, but indirectly through the negative impacts it has on us as a whole.

If you slaughter cows en masse, you do not compromise the survival of humans. You get tasty burgers and happy humans.

This philosophy is sound. Morality is just an abstract construct which was fabricated to improve our species survival chances. To extend this to animals is illogical.
Original post by tazarooni89
But you said that: "A sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it.", which is what makes them sentient. But the same is also true of plants - they actively avoid death as well.

You also said that: "Plants don't, so they aren't sentient". But again, as I pointed out, in actual fact they do actively avoid death. When faced with situations that are likely to cause their death, to the extent that they are physically capable of it, they respond in a manner that is designed to prevent their death.

So I don't really see what distinction you're making between sheep and plants that proves that one is sentient while the other isn't. Actively clinging to life and avoiding death is a feature of both, so surely that can't be the sole criterion you're using for sentience.

Are you vegan?
And the venus flytrap doesn't seek to avoid pain. They lack the nervous system and brain necessary for this to happen. A plant can respond to stimuli, for example by turning towards the light or closing over a fly, but that is not the same thing.
Are you vegan?
And the venus flytrap doesn't seek to avoid pain. They lack the nervous system and brain necessary for this to happen. A plant can respond to stimuli, for example by turning towards the light or closing over a fly, but that is not the same thing.

The pain argument is full of holes, at least for pure vegetarians. Many animals feel close to as little pain as plants do - for example, prawns. Vegetarianism has little to do with pain. Unless you are a very canny vegetarian with a red line as to what marks 'sentient'. Where do you draw the line?
1. It is not "the" reason but is one of them. It is a big issue in clinical psychology due to obvious consequences (I studied it that is why I know). I love how you only focus on 1 bit of my entire response and ignore the rest. :smile:

The rest was just a repetition of that point using overly emotional examples, which may or may not have some actual historical basis.

The main reason why we assume we're all conscious is that we're all the same species and have the same minds. Whatever it is about our minds, probably our brains, that we all have in common is probably what gives us consciousness.
Original post by EverybodyHz
The pain argument is full of holes, at least for pure vegetarians. Many animals feel close to as little pain as plants do - for example, prawns. Vegetarianism has little to do with pain. Unless you are a very canny vegetarian with a red line as to what marks 'sentient'. Where do you draw the line?

I don't eat any sentient beings. That's where I've drawn the line. It seems I am that canny vegetarian :wink:
Are you vegan?

No, I'm not.

I'm not sure that "pain" is the relevant point here. Looking at what you said again: "Sentience is the ability to have interests".

I'm just trying to understand why you don't agree that plants have an interest in remaining alive. You demonstrated that sheep have an interest in remaining alive by pointing out that they actively avoid death, so why wouldn't you use the same argument for a plant?

It's true that they don't have the same brain or nervous system that animals do. But then they have their own analogous mechanism to detect stimuli, process the information and then respond to it. It performs the same function as an animal's brain and nervous system, in that it enables them to recognise and actively attempt to avoid imminent death. So it's still not exactly clear what distinction you're making.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Plagioclase
Unless you're an die-hard hedonist, surely you must realise that what you're saying makes no sense? You're either implying that life isn't worth living without meat, or making a wider point that life isn't worth living without living unethically, both of which are ridiculous arguments. It's completely possible to live a good life whilst remaining altruistic.

Who are you to say that eating meat is unethical? Who decides these morals? The 90% of the world who do eat meat or the 10% who turn their backs and say no? (Disclaimer : don't take this % literal).
Does not eating meat make you become altruistic? Huge double standard here. Why does it stop at not eating meat? What about the 100's of other selfish things you do in your nature, that harm both this planet and come at the expense of other people, or other things? Why is a plant different to an animal if consumed. (Inb4 an animal has feelings)
Who are you, or others to decide that eating plants are ok but animals isn't?

In an ideal world, every one would be altruistic. That isn't the case. The world isn't ideal. Humans are much more selfish, and will look out for their survival. People will deny it but it's imprinted into our subconscious. I ask you this, would you rather an animal died of disease and rotted away, or it lived a healthy life and was harvested for consumption, for the benefit of others? Do humans really choose to eat meat because it's 'the unethical decision' or because it's in our nature? The same way majority of the population will look to mate, reproduce and so on etc..

I see you did not tackle my points and now resort to name calling. :smile: Way to go to support your points.----My previous response:You said:" I eat meat for pleasure" and " A ****ing burger is wonderful". The 'wonderful' implies you find it morally accepting. Same as if you said that you found rape wonderful, I would believe that you find it morally acceptable.1. Rape, domestic violence and murder are also a reality. People rape, people beat their wives and people murder. That is not an excuse. Nor should an exception being made to excuse crimes to animals.2. Why? Slavers said the same things of slavery, men said the same thing of women rights and European powers said the same thing of their colonies. The point is that there are no exceptions to an unethical action. You may do it but you cannot denied it is unethical. Criminals of sort try to make exceptions to themselves. But it does not work that way. Logical reasoning does not work that way.

Because it's not in my interests to debate with someone so ridiculous, who finds eating meat morally the same as rape. You are either trolling, or just plain idiotic if you honestly believe that the two are even close to each other. I highly doubt you would say such a thing in a real debate with a straight face, or even without the slightest of doubt that you were talking utter bollox.

Now to address your points anyway.

Yes, I find that eating a burger is morally acceptable. No where in my post does it even hint, let alone mention anything about rape, or that rape is wonderful, which suggests to me you're posting with an unpleasant agenda. Saying the summer is wonderful, does not correlate to saying hundreds of people dying in summer floods is also wonderful.

1. Yes, they are a reality, but they're stigmatised. What's hard to accept about that? What is a crime? Who defines crimes? The so called 10% who state it is a crime, or the government who set the laws? Until eating animals is against the law, you have no basis to state that it is a crime, nor compare it to rape, which is a crime.

2. And that's why slavery, sexism, and colonising were/are being abolished, or at least are headed in that direction. Like I mentioned to the poster above, who are you to say that killing an animal is unethical, a crime, or un moral?

Sentience is the ability to have interests. For example a sheep doesn't want to be killed or to feel pain. They actively avoid it. Plants don't, so they aren't sentientPosted from TSR Mobile
You have no scientific back up, or knowledge to say that plants don't address stress.It's bloody Biology A level for **** sake.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest