The Student Room Group

Weird music tastes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teaddict
Hey guys,

So I wanted to pose a question to you all. Do you enjoy certain music that really does not sit well with your general music tastes?

To give a bit of context to what I mean, I recently hard Never Ending Story by Limahl. Now, I haven't heard this song since I was a child and I was genuinely enjoying it. I oddly love songs like these, as well as corny Disney songs, ABBA, or even Blondie and Bonnie Tyler.

The reason I find this odd is because I tend towards rock and metal - I particularly love really heavy industrial metal and avant garde metal.

These few pop songs really do not square nicely with the rock and metal I listen to.

Anyone else have this and anyone know why we find such songs entertaining and enjoyable, even when they really aren't the sort of genres we like?

Yeah, I mean, I usually listen to punk and other rock music, but I also like some rap, as well as the occasional pop hit that comes up in the charts. It's not a weird music taste; it's just being open-minded about music :smile:
I'm very much a dream pop, indie pop and synth pop kind of guy, with tinges of psychedelia and shoegaze. But sometimes I dip my toes into other genres. Generally, if I like the sound, and it is appealing to my ears it doesn't matter what the genre is. However I've never come across a Hip Hop song I've liked, or it's sub genres that I was forced to listen to at Uni, Drill and Trap.

https://soundcloud.com/vogel/hologram-ii

^ Is probably the closest I get to EDM. Although I reckon most people would probably tell me it sounds too much like a 1980s throwback. This is the closest to dubstep I get https://soundcloud.com/killthenoise/black-magic-kill-the-noise-pt

Killing Joke, while starting as a post-punk band, and turning into New Wave, have mostly been metal since 1990 ish. I love their most recent stuff, but it is a world away from the subdued summery sounds of most of my taste, as are those dancier tracks above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaC3SGGvVGk

^They call them 'industrial metal'
I've always hated really heavy scream/metal songs, or any song where the artist talks/screams instead of sings, but I've gotten really into La Dispute lately. The lead singer basically talks in quite a heavy way and sometimes screams and usually I'd hate it but I absolutely love it. Such Small Hands and Untitled are my favourites. Such Small Hands actually makes me cry every single time I listen to it. Don't know why.
Reply 23
I enjoy a lot of different types of songs, from Armin van Buuren to System of a down.
Die Antwoord has recently grown on me.
Country music really hits that spot sometimes.
Original post by Teaddict
Hey guys,

So I wanted to pose a question to you all. Do you enjoy certain music that really does not sit well with your general music tastes?

To give a bit of context to what I mean, I recently hard Never Ending Story by Limahl. Now, I haven't heard this song since I was a child and I was genuinely enjoying it. I oddly love songs like these, as well as corny Disney songs, ABBA, or even Blondie and Bonnie Tyler.

The reason I find this odd is because I tend towards rock and metal - I particularly love really heavy industrial metal and avant garde metal.

These few pop songs really do not square nicely with the rock and metal I listen to.

Anyone else have this and anyone know why we find such songs entertaining and enjoyable, even when they really aren't the sort of genres we like?

Lets be honest... who doesn't love Never ending story!!
I'm exactly the same- i listen to artists like Asking Alexandria and Five Finger Death Punch yet i still have stuff liker this one my phone!! Haha love a blast form the bast.. absolute tune :aetsch::thrasher:
Original post by taylor1230
Lets be honest... who doesn't love Never ending story!!

me
Original post by sandvika
me

oh... ok then
Well to be frank, I like alternative/indie rock, rnb and trap music mainly, but I may listen to some pop as long as it isn't too cheesy like Britney Spears, Katy Perry or the Steps. With that being said though the only forms of pop I like are power pop and pop rock.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
HAIM

SO PERFECT. MUCH PERFECTION. I luv them so much :cry2:

I actually went mad when one of my friends said that they couldn't sing :mob:

They're such good dancers! (Danielle, in particular :wink:)
Reply 31
Man ya'll listening to normal stuff compared to me, I've gotten quite some comments from friends when they found out and recently a close friend of mine commented on it so i was googleing around about wacky music tastes, i listen to stuff like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnaF4_LTovk
Reply 32
Original post by Gobbe
Man ya'll listening to normal stuff compared to me, I've gotten quite some comments from friends when they found out and recently a close friend of mine commented on it so i was googleing around about wacky music tastes, i listen to stuff like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnaF4_LTovk

Four years later
crywank, he's pretty unorthodox.
I mostly listen to Post-Punk era but I'm also a big fan of Country music, I just don't think they mix well (casually listening to Echo and the Bunnymen and then suddenly Eddie Cochran start belting out about his heartbreaks ) Anyone else?
Reply 35

Not like anything else I listen to, but I just love this song.
Reply 36
Original post by gjd800
Four years later

bruh i started getting **** n **** lol so i was wondering if other people had any experience with it
Because a lot of our taste as it relates to genre is based more on narrative and habit than something innate. So people who are super into metal and hate rap could probably often have been the other way around. Once you start opening your mind up to more genres music is a lot more enjoyable. Just gotta get used to how other stuff sounds before you can enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest