The Student Room Group

Mentioning mental health in PS

I am applying for Medicine and I'm wondering if it is wise to mention the fact I have paranoid schizophrenia in my personal statement? On one hand it shows I have experience many other candidates don't have after spending years in different hospitals, whereas on the other hand people might disagree with the fact someone with schizophrenia is going to treat them and admissions might think I am not suitable for such a demanding course.

Please share your views on whether you would feel comfortable with someone who has schizophrenia was to treat you, and also whether you think it is a good idea to mention it in my PS?
Reply 1
Definitley dont mention it in your personal statement. That will be for Occupational Health to deal with should you be made an offer, as universities are not allowed to discriminate against applicants with disabilites. Mentioning it on your personal statement is risky, as it may adversley affect your application and getting into Medicine is hard enough as it is!

I was made an offer for Medicine and the Occupational Health check is part of the conditional offer (so not just based on achieving AAA at A level). Its a fairly extensive form you need to fill out, detailing any physical or mental conditions you have or have suffered from in the past. You also need a doctors certificate to confirm what you have said is accurate, which they will do by going through your medical records. The university doesnt get to see this, but instead you send it directly to the Occupational Health department. They will then notify the University regarding any further support you may need.

I am fairly sure though that there are certain situations where you would not pass an Occupational Health check, particularly if you have been very recently and severely affected by certain serious mental health conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, don't mention it on your PS. I don't think it would give you an edge over other candidates- it wouldn't be counted as work experience.
I agree with the poster above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending