The Student Room Group

siezures and student nurse at univerity

I occasionally have seizures and I am due to start a adult nursing course this month.
If i tell my university, will I still be allowed to study and go to placement?
im scared ill get kicked out
Reply 1
Original post by Aims33
I occasionally have seizures and I am due to start a adult nursing course this month.

Hello there. Have you mentioned your seizures when having the Occupational Health Assessment?
Reply 2
Hi, I did put this in when i did the online occ health form, I also work in NHS amd have been cleared by occupational health there too. I am just scared incase they decide that its suddenly not ok and i cant study (Original post by SarahB*)Hello there. Have you mentioned your seizures when having the Occupational Health Assessment?

Hi, I did put this in when i did the online occ health form, I also work in NHS amd have been cleared by occupational health there too. I am just scared incase they decide that its suddenly not ok and i cant study
Reply 3
Original post by Aims33

@Emily_B wondering if you are able to comment more about this situation. I would consider them to get in touch with the university course leader asap before starting the course.

Hi there

Registered midwife here.

All your health issues should have been discussed with the occupational health providers for the university you are going to and then they would have contacted your own GP ( with your consent) for further information about it and then decide whether or not you are fit to work as a nurse.

Providing you have everything under control with taking your medication and your seizures are not constantly then it might be possible for you to do the course. There has been students who have completed the degree just because they had there seizures under control throughout.

You should consider contacting the university before you start your course and get some further information on this matter.

You'll only be kicked out of the course if you have constant seizures and you are unfortunately constantly missing your university studying and also any placements hours.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B wondering if you are able to comment more about this situation. I would consider them to get in touch with the university course leader asap before starting the course.

Hi there

Registered midwife here.

All your health issues should have been discussed with the occupational health providers for the university you are going to and then they would have contacted your own GP ( with your consent) for further information about it and then decide whether or not you are fit to work as a nurse.

Providing you have everything under control with taking your medication and your seizures are not constantly then it might be possible for you to do the course. There has been students who have completed the degree just because they had there seizures under control throughout.

You should consider contacting the university before you start your course and get some further information on this matter.

You'll only be kicked out of the course if you have constant seizures and you are unfortunately constantly missing your university studying and also any placements hours.

HI,

thanks for replying.
I have none epileptic seizures, controlled with mental health support and propranolol (reduces anxiety which causes the seizures) and are fairly well controlled, I occasionally will have them but they are no where near constant and I currently work in the NHS as a HCA and it went well with occupational health.
Original post by Aims33

I don’t think mentioning that you have epilepsy will prevent you from doing your course instead the possible what ifs in the event of a seizure will then therefore keep the people providing and facilitating the course prepared for example in the aid of what to do so studying and going to your placement is still therefore possible and wouldn’t be prevented however it’s sensible you best tell them and there’s nothing to be fearful or worried about since you won’t get kicked out of it.
Reply 6
Original post by Mohammed_80
I don’t think mentioning that you have epilepsy will prevent you from doing your course instead the possible what ifs in the event of a seizure will then therefore keep the people providing and facilitating the course prepared for example in the aid of what to do so studying and going to your placement is still therefore possible and wouldn’t be prevented however it’s sensible you best tell them and there’s nothing to be fearful or worried about since you won’t get kicked out of it.

this is what im hopeful for, obvisiously the equality act 2010, and it is well controlled but im having bad anxiety they will not let me study this.
Original post by Aims33
this is what im hopeful for, obvisiously the equality act 2010, and it is well controlled but im having bad anxiety they will not let me study this.

I think that your letting your anxiety get the better of you with all due respect I would seek reassurance from your general practitioner, your neurologist likewise someone that suffers with epilepsy just as yourself it was difficult to handle and cope with although as reassurance was given I slowly got there
Reply 8
Original post by Aims33
HI,

thanks for replying.
I have none epileptic seizures, controlled with mental health support and propranolol (reduces anxiety which causes the seizures) and are fairly well controlled, I occasionally will have them but they are no where near constant and I currently work in the NHS as a HCA and it went well with occupational health.

You are welcome 🤗🤗
That's good you haven't had any seizures and you have your mental health under control. As long as you have been given go ahead with NHS as to work as a HCA then you shouldn't have any issues with NMC and university when you are starting your nursing degree as things should have been picked up with your local NHS hospital during your interview but Obviously they are happy with things with you so hopefully you'll be good to go to university soon.

You would be better letting your placement officer know about it when you start your university course and then they're no excuses for them not knowing just incase you might have a sudden seizure as they are unpredictable as you know yourself.

Just make sure you are got it under control with whatever medicine you are taking and hopefully you'll have a brilliant 3 years ahead of you as a student nurse.

Let's know what happens okay 😉😉😉
I take it you are coping well with long hours etc working as a HCA and you not having any problems with things.
Reply 9
You are welcome 🤗🤗
That's good you haven't had any seizures and you have your mental health under control. As long as you have been given go ahead with NHS as to work as a HCA then you shouldn't have any issues with NMC and university when you are starting your nursing degree as things should have been picked up with your local NHS hospital during your interview but Obviously they are happy with things with you so hopefully you'll be good to go to university soon.

You would be better letting your placement officer know about it when you start your university course and then they're no excuses for them not knowing just incase you might have a sudden seizure as they are unpredictable as you know yourself.

Just make sure you are got it under control with whatever medicine you are taking and hopefully you'll have a brilliant 3 years ahead of you as a student nurse.

Let's know what happens okay 😉😉😉
I take it you are coping well with long hours etc working as a HCA and you not having any problems with things.

Aw thankyou I really appreciate all your words there
All is well as a HCA 12.5 hour days no issues. I am going to talk to my placement supervisor on Monday get it sorted out. Want to be honest with them and have the best time, got 4 years to do with it being Scottish uni :smile: super excited and feel a lot more confident now. Thankyou so much! X
Reply 10
Original post by Aims33
Aw thankyou I really appreciate all your words there
All is well as a HCA 12.5 hour days no issues. I am going to talk to my placement supervisor on Monday get it sorted out. Want to be honest with them and have the best time, got 4 years to do with it being Scottish uni :smile: super excited and feel a lot more confident now. Thankyou so much! X

You are welcome 🤗🤗

Wow so you are attending a Scottish university for your nursing degree ( may I ask what one). You must be doing the four years with honours.
I'm Scottish and I did my degree through in Edinburgh Napier.

That's good news about you and how everyone has been managed with your health issues.
Glad you are coping with the long 12.5 hours shifts we have here but think of your days off.

That's the best thing to do is to talk about with your placement supervisor and hopefully they will notify your placement when you are sent out to them about your health issues as it is important that they know about it just incase anything happens when you are on shifts but hopefully not.

Ps you are welcome to PM me anytime okay ❤️
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
You are welcome 🤗🤗

Wow so you are attending a Scottish university for your nursing degree ( may I ask what one). You must be doing the four years with honours.
I'm Scottish and I did my degree through in Edinburgh Napier.

That's good news about you and how everyone has been managed with your health issues.
Glad you are coping with the long 12.5 hours shifts we have here but think of your days off.

That's the best thing to do is to talk about with your placement supervisor and hopefully they will notify your placement when you are sent out to them about your health issues as it is important that they know about it just incase anything happens when you are on shifts but hopefully not.

Ps you are welcome to PM me anytime okay ❤️

I’m in a Glasgow uni, super excited did you enjoy your studies in Edinburgh! I can’t dm in here yet for some reason but thankyou you message any time ❤️
Reply 12
Original post by Aims33
I’m in a Glasgow uni, super excited did you enjoy your studies in Edinburgh! I can’t dm in here yet for some reason but thankyou you message any time ❤️

So you will hopefully enjoy the university you will be attending I'm Glasgow.

I actually did enjoy my studying with Napier university in Edinburgh as I only really had 3 universities to choose from for midwifing ( University West of Scotland, Robert Gordon university and Napier university) , I'll try to PM you and you should be able to reply afterwards.
Reply 13
So you will hopefully enjoy the university you will be attending I'm Glasgow.

I actually did enjoy my studying with Napier university in Edinburgh as I only really had 3 universities to choose from for midwifing ( University West of Scotland, Robert Gordon university and Napier university) , I'll try to PM you and you should be able to reply afterwards.

Unfortunately my replies don’t work yet :frown: asap tho I will!
Reply 14
Original post by Aims33
Unfortunately my replies don’t work yet :frown: asap tho I will!

Okay hopefully you'll be able to PM soon ☺️☺️☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending