Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by Darcy1
Congrats! When did you apply?

6th November and they got my application on the 18th, they took soooooo long

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1481
Guys, I'm going to an applicant day at Sheffield uni which will determine my place there
I just wanted to know if I'll get asked interview questions or if I should prepare before I go
Also, I got told the dress code is smart casual and appropriate footwear for lab work, I'm not sure what that means I'm supposed to where?
If anyones been to these applicant days I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me some stuff about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uzx
Guys, I'm going to an applicant day at Sheffield uni which will determine my place there
I just wanted to know if I'll get asked interview questions or if I should prepare before I go
Also, I got told the dress code is smart casual and appropriate footwear for lab work, I'm not sure what that means I'm supposed to where?
If anyones been to these applicant days I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me some stuff about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the footwear means no sandals, crocs etc.
Original post by ImNervous
Has anyone who has not done Physics at either AS or A2 got an offer from Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I do maths, f maths and chem
]I have an interview next week at Loughborough university for Chemical Engineering. I am really nervous. I know there have two interview days so far one on the 3rd of February and one on the 10th of February.

If you have had an interview on one of these days could you please tell me what the dress code was like, the types of questions asked and the nature of the interview.

I hope all your interviews have gone well
Original post by Bmanpro
]I have an interview next week at Loughborough university for Chemical Engineering. I am really nervous. I know there have two interview days so far one on the 3rd of February and one on the 10th of February.

If you have had an interview on one of these days could you please tell me what the dress code was like, the types of questions asked and the nature of the interview.

Don't worry at all, Loughborough were completely relaxed and casual, the fact they've invited you means you will get an offer - everyone I know who's been has, they just want to meet you.
Dress code- there were a few people in suits etc, though most had a shirt and black trousers at best.
The questions were about the things specifically to me in my personal statement that relate to chem eng - my EPQ. I also got a large technical question about flows and conditions affecting reactions (You just need basic chemistry/maths knowledge and to think carefully as they did try to trick me with identical differently arranged equations.)
They went on to ask if I had any questions , so just ask anything you want to know - sound interested and enthusiastic is the best advice I can give.
Goodluck :smile:
Original post by 24jasmine
Hey, I'm having difficulty deciding between Bath, UCL (for biochemical engineering) and Nottingham (unconditional). Bath seemed amazing but I'm worried about the A*AA offer.

Depends where you feel most comfortable. I was at nottingham yesterday and felt the whole department just seemed so disorganized and they focus too much environmentally for me.
Bath is a great uni obviously and a great course, but it isn't a russell group
UCL I know little about but it is highly ranked. Very different to your other too being in london rather than an isolated campus
Original post by VokeA
FINALLY got an offer from Bath

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw congrats! I did too, have you received any information on an open day for the department or anything?
Reply 1488
Original post by Bmanpro

It was very informal. I was quite smart but most people wore jeans on my day. For me my interview started off like a chat, why do wanna do ChemEng
Then got into the questions, which were kind of challenging compared to others. On my day other ppl were asked to simultaneous equations or if they saw themselves as an engineer or scientist. Whereas mine was a lot to with logic, a comprehension and a chem q involving specific heat capacity and density. Nothing on my personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1489
Original post by IvoryToast
Depends where you feel most comfortable. I was at nottingham yesterday and felt the whole department just seemed so disorganized and they focus too much environmentally for me.
Bath is a great uni obviously and a great course, but it isn't a russell group
UCL I know little about but it is highly ranked. Very different to your other too being in london rather than an isolated campus

I was there on Saturday as well and agree it was messy. Way too many people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uzx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm also going to an applicant day for sheffield on the 17th of feb. They sent me a letter and it hasn't mentioned anything about an interview. I assume that they would check for your attendance and weed out all the ones that didn't bother to come lol. They also mentioned some taster sessions in the labs so just wear something comfortable but presentable.
Just out of curiosity does chemical engineering come up a lot in ucas extra and clearing? I already have offers but just want to know.
5 offers and 5 applicant days attended I need to make my choice between:
Birmingham - A*AA Very highly rated, research intensive, nice campus, expensive place to live, ideal course with clear abroad study as well as industry option
Leeds- A*AA Highly rated, great research, are lowering student numbers to improve quality, refurbishing labs, low student to staff ratio, smart city, right in the centre
Loughborough - AAB - Great industrial links, good department, massive campus, town too small and uni is far out
Newcastle - AAB Good department, russell group with lower offer, great student life, best city, near coast and great country, very central
Nottingham - AAA seem totally disorganised, didn't even give a tour of facilities or campus, too focused on environmental engineering, large campus, too far out of town, town seems pretty run down

Thoughts on my best options and my brief summary of opinions?
Birmingham - A*AA Very highly rated, research intensive, nice campus, expensive place to live, ideal course with clear abroad study as well as industry option
Leeds- A*AA Highly rated, great research, are lowering student numbers to improve quality, refurbishing labs, low student to staff ratio, smart city, right in the centre
Loughborough - AAB - Great industrial links, good department, massive campus, town too small and uni is far out
Newcastle - AAB Good department, russell group with lower offer, great student life, best city, near coast and great country, very central
Nottingham - AAA seem totally disorganised, didn't even give a tour of facilities or campus, too focused on environmental engineering, large campus, too far out of town, town seems pretty run down

As someone 'outside looking in' having read your comments, it sounds to me like you're stuck between choosing to firm either Birmingham or Leeds, and apparently Newcastle seems the most likely to be your insurance.

P.S. Congrats on your offers, best of luck
Original post by Smack
This is a possibility. The statistics for the class of '15 are being collated about now from the DLHE survey, and will, if previous years are anything to go by, be release in late summer. I have tracked this statistics over the last few years and I think I would have posted the latest ones, from the class of '14, previously in this thread.

I think you underestimate the scale of the oil industry in England, especially around London and the south east. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there were more chemical engineering graduates working in that area than Aberdeen (although I don't have the statistics to back that up). Plus, most of the UK's refining capacity is based in England, too.

Hey smack, Im not an applicant, actually a chem eng student just seeing if i can reply to anything and help out applicants.

I've got some questions about the oil and gas industry and remember you once telling me about your experience in it. Im wondering if you can pm me (i cant find your pm link) so i can ask you some questions about getting into the industry in a foreign country (not a popular western choice like UAE though), because i literally cant seem to find anything via the internet.

Thanks
Hello guys.

I have got 3 offers and 2 rejections.
Out of:
Manchester with industry A*AA
Birmingham with industry A*AA
Edinburgh with management and industry AAA
(RIP Imperial and Cambridge :frown:)

Which would you pick? :smile:
Original post by Danielek
Hello guys.

Out of:

I've already firmed Birmingham so of course I'd say go with Birmingham!

Although I didn't apply to Manchester but if I did I'd probably have put Manchester first.
Hello guys.

Out of:

Birmingham

Firm Birmingham, insure Newcastle.

I applied to 4 of the same Unis as you did with the exception of Loughborough - I chose Surrey instead.

I insured Nottingham but would have insured Newcastle if it wasn't so far away from where I live.
Hello guys.

Out of:

I've never seen Edinburgh or Manchester - but Birmingham seemed amazing to me - great research leading to plenty of money to spend on students. They've been 2nd or 3rd for at least the last 5 years in the league tables. The department seems spacious and modern and the campus and city lively with any facility you could possibly want

Quick Reply

Latest